Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1957 Transmission yoke

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2022, 11:40 AM

1957 Transmission yoke

1957 Golden Rocket 88. Rear transmission seal is leaking., so trying to replace it. Removed driveshaft, removed bolt from yoke but the yoke will not come out of the tailshaft? How much force does it take to have that come out? Also, I read in some threads, that the first seal is just a dust seal... and the actual seal to stop the leak is internal? That was a discussion about a '55 so I don't know if they are same or not. I have the service manual but it doesn't go into that part. I'm familiar with "modern" trans (upper 60's and newer) where you pull the drive shaft, replace the seal, reinsert, done. But this is confusing me why that yoke won't come out? Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thanks!
Old August 12th, 2022, 06:43 PM

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,That yoke is called a companion shaft, even though me and everyone else call it a yoke. But you need a puller to get it off. They can be tough to remove but with a puller it's not so bad. I will try to get a picture of mine. And you are correct. That seal is the one in the rear and if it is weeping or leaking then yes, it needs to be replaced. It is not a dust seal but the rear oil seal. i will try to get a picture of the tool i use, although you can probably make with a little paitence.
Old August 12th, 2022, 06:46 PM

Also, do you have a 57 Olds repair shop manual? This is a must an they are on ebay very resonable.
Old August 12th, 2022, 06:56 PM

Here are the pictures of the puller. It is made by Kent Moore

Old August 12th, 2022, 06:57 PM

If you were closer i would let you borrow it.
Old August 13th, 2022, 07:32 AM

@zzcruzin - you are my hero!! Thank you for the info... and for pointing out my stupidity. I do have the factory service manual, so after your post, I went back to the manual for the 3rd time, this time very slowly and methodically. To be frank, it was to go "it's not in there!", but sure enough on page 3-42, fig 3-36 is exactly what I was looking for. In my hurried, paniced skimming of the manual twice prior, I skipped right over it. ARG!

Thank you again - and I do have the materials to make one of the pullers, so pics were greatly appreciated. Off to the garage!!
Old August 13th, 2022, 07:39 AM

Good luck with it. They can be a stuborn tight fit on those splines. Just make sure you put the bolt back in there a few turns and use the puller to push on it. I even made another longer bolt and had to change it part way thru. Patience is your friend. You will get it.
Old August 13th, 2022, 10:25 AM

It's out and new seal ordered!

... and yes, patience is was a virtue.
Old August 13th, 2022, 10:37 AM

All right. Now that's a good feeling.