Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

53 Carter Carb Flooding Video.

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2015, 02:37 PM

53 Carter Carb Flooding Video.

Well I finally got my Fuel Pump rebuild kit from Fusick and revamped the pump, and after a few turns she drew the fuel up from the tank way quicker than before and fired right up, but! as with all these things, doing one job seems to kick off another, now the Carb is flooding and spitting fuel out the two small holes on top and leaking at the base too boot, but it didn't happen prior to the pump rebuild...anywho, if there are any Carb experts out there that can take a look at the vid and pics and maybe tell me what's going on?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20151217_144558.jpg (1.50 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20151217_145602.jpg (1.92 MB, 10 views)
Old December 17th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Looks like the floats not set right.
Old December 17th, 2015, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Looks like the floats not set right.
Thanks mate, it amazes me why would it choose now for the float not to be wright when it was not doing that before? any ideas on how to adjust the float Eric?
Old December 17th, 2015, 07:41 PM
Administrator

You might as well get a kit because chances are that when you tale it apart the gaskets will tear. Then check your float and make sure it didn't sink. The kit should have adjustment procedures inside. You may need to replace the float which I believe may be sold separately. Some of the older floats are not compatible with the newer fuels.

You may have gotten some dirt in there also which could be causing issues. If the carb was left empty for a period of time the fuels leave crud when they evaporate.
Old December 17th, 2015, 08:31 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I agree with what Eric said. Based on the age of the fuel, it is very likely you got some trash or dirt in stuck in the needle and seat. Fusick has the kits. They are ethanol proof and about $65.00. Of course you have to pay their $3.00 handling fee and shipping which will be expensive for you. If it has a brass float, you can tell real easy if it is bad because it would have fuel in it. I would probably order one. Be sure you have a good inline filter on there.
Old December 18th, 2015, 06:35 AM

Thanks Eric, Thanks Red.

I sent Fusick the video and they are pretty much saying what you guys are...but they do want to know one thing, is it a 2 or 4 barrel? I don't know either.

Last edited by Eightbanger; December 18th, 2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old December 18th, 2015, 09:16 PM

As everyone said, you are getting too much fuel to the engine. It will probably be a problem with the needle & seat, float set improperly, float dragging against the bowl wall, leaking float, etc. A rebuilding kit is in order. In those days there were 2 different four barrel carburetors used. Yours is the Carter model WCFB. The other was the Rochester 7005600 (Hydramatic) or 7006250 (Dynaflow). Be sure to get the correct kit. Rock Auto has the WCFB kit for US$22.79 + shipping. It's an Airtex/Wells 2G1181.
Old December 19th, 2015, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ozzie
As everyone said, you are getting too much fuel to the engine. It will probably be a problem with the needle & seat, float set improperly, float dragging against the bowl wall, leaking float, etc. A rebuilding kit is in order. In those days there were 2 different four barrel carburetors used. Yours is the Carter model WCFB. The other was the Rochester 7005600 (Hydramatic) or 7006250 (Dynaflow). Be sure to get the correct kit. Rock Auto has the WCFB kit for US$22.79 + shipping. It's an Airtex/Wells 2G1181.
I'd be well and truly stuffed without the help and advice you guys give, thanks very much Ozzie
Old December 19th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Eightbanger
Thanks Eric, Thanks Red.

I sent Fusick the video and they are pretty much saying what you guys are...but they do want to know one thing, is it a 2 or 4 barrel? I don't know either.
Seriously? The video clearly shows a 4V.
Old December 19th, 2015, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Seriously? The video clearly shows a 4V.
I know Eric lol, I was surprised as I reluctantly admit I'm no expert and avoided asking you guys out of embarisment, but when they asked me to confirm if it was 2 or 4 I was stumped....but guys I don't want to be unkind here or talk behind peoples back as the folks at Fusick have been great.
Old December 19th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I wonder if Fusick even looked at the video. I will tell you the Rock Auto price is better that Fusick will have. Just be sure it is a full kit including the needle and seat and that it is ethanol proof. I don't know if ethanol is an issue in the UK.
Old December 19th, 2015, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I wonder if Fusick even looked at the video. I will tell you the Rock Auto price is better that Fusick will have. Just be sure it is a full kit including the needle and seat and that it is ethanol proof. I don't know if ethanol is an issue in the UK.
About 10% in Brit Gas apparently.
Old December 19th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Ethanol is the enemy of old cars. Be sure you put an additive in all the gas you put in your car.
Old December 21st, 2015, 07:24 AM

You may have a float that is damaged, filling with fuel, and then sinking into the bowl, opening the needle. I had that happen on one of mine back in the 80s. It was a Rochester however. Take out the floats, and give them a shake to see if there is any fuel in them.