Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Removing the Gas Gauge- '56

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Removing the Gas Gauge- '56

End of the season project. My gas gauge has never worked in the four years I've owned the Super 88. Thanks to all the related threads, I've picked away at just about every possibility, and narrowed it down to the gauge itself. The gauge varies at different points but never above 1/2 unless you tap it. Then the needle jumps around.

So, I see two screws that hold the gauge in place. Is that all there is to getting the gauge out, or does the whole cluster have to come out?

Thanks in advance,
Frank
Old October 20th, 2015, 10:53 AM

Hi Frank,
If you can get to the small screws on the back of the gauge, it should come right out.
Jerry~
Old October 20th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Thanks Jerry. You're always there to help and I appreciate it. I can feel the screws you're talking about and I found a picture of the reverse side of the cluster on the AACA website, so I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks again,
Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
instrument cluster.jpg (168.1 KB, 9 views)
Old November 5th, 2015, 03:14 AM

I had the same issue with my gas gauge and took it out the way you describe. Two screws and be careful, you need to move it out at the bottom first in order not to bend the needle.
Afterwards I took it to a good watchmaker and he cleaned the mechanics of the gas gauge. All of a sudden, it works again, even though I do not fully understand the logic of it.
Sometimes when the gas tank is full, the needle goes to full and sometimes it does not go beyond 1/2 or 3/4. I cannot get rid of the feeling that this has something to do with the battery/ generator electric tension. Difficult to say, as we tested it on a bench with 9 volts and it would still go to full.
No clue what this is about.
Old November 5th, 2015, 02:05 PM

You might try removing the sender from the gas tank and cleaning it. The gauge operates off resistance. Resistance varies typically by a sliding mechanism along a wound coil on the float arm of the sender in the gas tank. They can and do get corroded. Some spray electric contact cleaner and some clean rags might clean it up and make it operate accurately and consistently.
I'm writing about gas gauge sending units in general and my experience over the years. Your Olds might be the same or a little different but its worth a try and can't hurt to clean it as long as you are careful and don't break anything.
Jerry