Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Starting issues 55 olds super 88

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2024, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
We are on track. Your vacuum readings are low and the gauge needle is not steady. If you can't achieve a steady vacuum reading above 15"Hg you have an issue. The fact it starts in any weather is not an indication of any compression reading value. Either you measure compression or you don't.
I realize I have an issue I’m trying to figure out what that is. I’m sorry for throwing things out there that seem unrelated but I’m doing to try and figure out the issue. I’ll see if I can post a video of how it starts today
Old January 8th, 2024, 08:52 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Super88chris
it should indicate something since a car won’t start without compression. And I’m not saying I won’t test it. I said I’ll see about getting a compression gauge this week. I’m assuming “wet” means when warm and “dry” means when cold? Is the compression test how you check valves as well?
Dry means tested when the engine is warm. Wet means adding ~tsp of oil to the cylinder and taking another reading - both readings when the engine is warm.
Old January 8th, 2024, 08:59 AM
Running On Empty

I'll repeat what has been discussed several times on several of your posts.

Dwell>Timing>A/F Mixture

EVERY TIME

Take-nothing for granted.

If you changed your timing - AGAIN - you need to measure and establish the highest steady vacuum reading you can achieve.
Old January 8th, 2024, 09:11 AM

Dry means tested when the engine is warm. Wet means adding ~tsp of oil to the cylinder and taking another reading - both readings when the engine is warm.
oh never would have guessed that. Ok then.
Old January 8th, 2024, 09:12 AM

I'll repeat what has been discussed several times on several of your posts.

Dwell>Timing>A/F Mixture

EVERY TIME

Take-nothing for granted.

If you changed your timing - AGAIN - you need to measure and establish the highest steady vacuum reading you can achieve.
I still got those steps. Yesterday before adjusting timing I set dwell then timing then AF
Old January 8th, 2024, 09:16 AM
Running On Empty

I still got those steps. Yesterday before adjusting timing I set dwell then timing then AF
Good
Old January 8th, 2024, 09:22 AM
Running On Empty

Tons of YouTube videos to perform a compression test - find one, pick your poison. Perform a compression test w/ engine warm, ignition coil wire removed, all spark plugs removed.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; January 8th, 2024 at 09:25 AM.
Old January 8th, 2024, 09:38 AM
Running On Empty

I’ll see if I can post a video of how it starts today
The best approach to posting videos to this site is to upload your video to YouTube then copy the YouTube URL link (Share) & paste into your post.
Old January 9th, 2024, 09:55 AM

Oh cool thanks for those videos. One question before doing this compression check, when I hooked my vacuum gauge up to adjust AF on the back hose of the carb, when I’m done do I need to plug that line? Since it’s not being used for wipers at this time. I was just seeing what it would do but it’s just a metal line sticking out, I plugged it with my thumb and rpm dropped/sounded worse until I let my thumb off. Did that have something to do with why I had no power going up hill? Engine revs really strong at idle but not so much driving.
Old January 9th, 2024, 12:07 PM
Running On Empty

Oh cool thanks for those videos. One question before doing this compression check, when I hooked my vacuum gauge up to adjust AF on the back hose of the carb, when I’m done do I need to plug that line? Since it’s not being used for wipers at this time. I was just seeing what it would do but it’s just a metal line sticking out, I plugged it with my thumb and rpm dropped/sounded worse until I let my thumb off. Did that have something to do with why I had no power going up hill? Engine revs really strong at idle but not so much driving.
You're welcome regarding the videos.

Those are good questions. I can't provide you w/ a specific answer regarding vacuum plumbing of a 4GC carburetor mounted on a 1955 Olds 88 324 cid engine - I don't have knowledge/experience w/ that combination. Dollars-to-Donuts the shop manual has illustration(s) of the vacuum plumbing/connections. Perhaps another member can answer the vacuum plumbing more directly. I can't speak to correctness of the diagram in the link below (I suspect it is correct) - take a look at it.

Windshield Wiper vacuum diagram for 1955

Regarding plumbing in general you want to ensure a closed vacuum "system". If you have no ancillary devices which depend on engine vacuum (e.g. PS brake booster, fuel pump, wipers, etc.) connected to any ports located on either carburetor or intake manifold, those ports located on the carburetor &/or intake manifold must be plugged (closed). If they are not, you will have a vacuum leak. If you have any of those devices (yes, I know you have no PS) just remember if you disconnect a line from the carburetor &/or intake manifold port, that port must be plugged/closed to provide a closed system. Make sense? Obviously, you can connect a vacuum gauge either with a "T" (tee) inserted in any intake manifold line or connect it directly to any intake manifold port since by doing so you'll remain in a closed system. You can't have "open" sources which would reduce vacuum under any RPM/load. You know you can disconnect/remove any of those lines, clean them up, reconnect them, ensure they're tight, etc. to help ensure no leaks. It's no different really if you were to find an intake manifold leak (such as a ripped blown out intake manifold gasket) - you want that vacuum "system" to be a closed system so you're not bleeding off vacuum and you can deliver optimum vacuum under any condition. Measurement of the available vacuum really is very useful in diagnosing what's going on with the engine.

I'll mention something in hopes this makes some sense, as well. Remember, when you're setting your A/F mixture low idle screws, we've discussed achieving the highest vacuum possible. Be mindful if the highest vacuum reading you can achieve is say 15"Hg and the A/F mixture screw(s) are turned out 1.5 to 2.0 turns, there is no reason to turn those screws out any further if you can't achieve anything higher than 15"Hg. If you achieve the highest vacuum @ 1.5 turns, leave them @ 1.5 turns since going any higher does not provide any additional benefit and can actually hinder your A/F mixture. Hope that makes some sense.

While this URL link is sorta/kinds opposite of your scenario, it's a good discussion regarding timing and vacuum on a 324 cid engine. The more you read, the more you learn. You're taking in a significant amount of information on your journey. All this information is going to pay off for you big time. That shop manual will help to awaken the grey matter between your ears. Good Luck!

olds 324 iddle issue

Old January 9th, 2024, 02:39 PM

Those are good questions. I can't provide you w/ a specific answer regarding vacuum plumbing of a 4GC carburetor mounted on a 1955 Olds 88 324 cid engine - I don't have knowledge/experience w/ that combination. Dollars-to-Donuts the shop manual has illustration(s) of the vacuum plumbing/connections. Perhaps another member can answer the vacuum plumbing more directly. I can't speak to correctness of the diagram in the link below (I suspect it is correct) - take a look at it.

Regarding plumbing in general you want to ensure a closed vacuum "system". If you have no ancillary devices which depend on engine vacuum (e.g. PS brake booster, fuel pump, wipers, etc.) connected to any ports located on either carburetor or intake manifold, those ports located on the carburetor &/or intake manifold must be plugged (closed). If they are not, you will have a vacuum leak. If you have any of those devices (yes, I know you have no PS) just remember if you disconnect a line from the carburetor &/or intake manifold port, that port must be plugged/closed to provide a closed system. Make sense? Obviously, you can connect a vacuum gauge either with a "T" (tee) inserted in any intake manifold line or connect it directly to any intake manifold port since by doing so you'll remain in a closed system. You can't have "open" sources which would reduce vacuum under any RPM/load. You know you can disconnect/remove any of those lines, clean them up, reconnect them, ensure they're tight, etc. to help ensure no leaks. It's no different really if you were to find an intake manifold leak (such as a ripped blown out intake manifold gasket) - you want that vacuum "system" to be a closed system so you're not bleeding off vacuum and you can deliver optimum vacuum under any condition. Measurement of the available vacuum really is very useful in diagnosing what's going on with the engine.

I'll mention something in hopes this makes some sense, as well. Remember, when you're setting your A/F mixture low idle screws, we've discussed achieving the highest vacuum possible. Be mindful if the highest vacuum reading you can achieve is say 15"Hg and the A/F mixture screw(s) are turned out 1.5 to 2.0 turns, there is no reason to turn those screws out any further if you can't achieve anything higher than 15"Hg. If you achieve the highest vacuum @ 1.5 turns, leave them @ 1.5 turns since going any higher does not provide any additional benefit and can actually hinder your A/F mixture. Hope that makes some sense.

While this URL link is sorta/kinds opposite of your scenario, it's a good discussion regarding timing and vacuum on a 324 cid engine. The more you read, the more you learn. You're taking in a significant amount of information on your journey. All this information is going to pay off for you big time. That shop manual will help to awaken the grey matter between your ears. Good Luck!

olds 324 iddle issue
all great info and very useful to me. Is plugging a line the same as connecting it? Like since I’m not using my wipers and that line doesn’t need to be plugged in. Correct I have no power anything and no broken lines my car is very simple. The fuel pump is the original and vacuum half works but is not hooked. Yes I’m counting the days until my shop manual comes.
Old January 9th, 2024, 03:58 PM
Running On Empty

all great info and very useful to me. Is plugging a line the same as connecting it? Like since I’m not using my wipers and that line doesn’t need to be plugged in. Correct I have no power anything and no broken lines my car is very simple. The fuel pump is the original and vacuum half works but is not hooked. Yes I’m counting the days until my shop manual comes.
Yes. If you are NOT going to use the wipers line then the port where the wipers connect on the carburetor needs to be plugged. ANY port on either the carburetor or the intake manifold which is NOT being used needs to be plugged.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; January 9th, 2024 at 04:02 PM.
Old January 9th, 2024, 04:07 PM

olds 324 iddle issue
my AF screws have been out about 3 or 4 turns to get barely 15Hg. But the other night I took apart my carb and soaked in pb blast and scrub every thing and used compressed air in every passage and hole on there so I’m hoping it works better tomorrow when I put it on. I’ll plug that line tho or hook it up not sure yet. Do they make something to check RPMs besides a timing gun? I already got the timing gun and it’s not digital.
Old January 9th, 2024, 04:16 PM
Running On Empty

If you've been setting (establishing) your dwell w/ a dwell meter, most dwell meters have also a tachometer (RPM) gauge. Of course, you can independently measure RPM w/ a tachometer.
Old January 9th, 2024, 04:16 PM
Art S

Chris I might be able to help with the carb but I'll need you to take some pics of the engine bay. With the air breather off the carb take a shot of the bay from standing in front, one almost directly overhead, one from the left, one from the right and a couple of the linkage. I want to get an over all view.
I don't remember seeing anywhere in your posts as to where you live. There are members here from all over the place and maybe someone near to you could lend you a hand. I've always been a better learner by someone showing me how to do something vs reading.
Old January 9th, 2024, 04:29 PM

If you've been setting (establishing) your dwell w/ a dwell meter, most dwell meters have also a tachometer (RPM) gauge. Of course, you can independently measure RPM w/ a tachometer.
no I wish I had a dwell meter I just use feeler gauges and it’s set at .016. Ok tachometer I’ll try to get that or a dwell meter.
Old January 9th, 2024, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Supernice88
Chris I might be able to help with the carb but I'll need you to take some pics of the engine bay. With the air breather off the carb take a shot of the bay from standing in front, one almost directly overhead, one from the left, one from the right and a couple of the linkage. I want to get an over all view.
I don't remember seeing anywhere in your posts as to where you live. There are members here from all over the place and maybe someone near to you could lend you a hand. I've always been a better learner by someone showing me how to do something vs reading.
that would be awesome! I live in Santa Fe New Mexico. I’ll get you all those pics tomorrow I’ll post them on here. As I said I still got my carb off and disassembled but it will be on tomorrow. Would you like pics of it completely put together before I put it back on the manifold?
Old January 9th, 2024, 05:08 PM
Art S

that would be awesome! I live in Santa Fe New Mexico. I’ll get you all those pics tomorrow I’ll post them on here. As I said I still got my carb off and disassembled but it will be on tomorrow. Would you like pics of it completely put together before I put it back on the manifold?
Can't help you in person I'm clear across the country on the east coast.
If you already have the carb apart wait until you get the service manual before you put it back together. The book gives exact instructions on how to assemble it and make adjustments as it goes along. The adjustments are important to get it to run properly. It'll give assembly adjustments and then more adjustments once it's on the car to the linkages for the gas pedal and transmission.
Take your time and take it one step at a time, I'm not going anywhere.
Old January 9th, 2024, 05:26 PM

I agree with Supernice88. You need to wait until you have the manual before reassembling that carburetor and assemble/adjust per the manuals instructions. There is a LOT of minutia that is REALLY important for making the factory adjustments that put the internal and external adjustments back to spec. If you don't do that, you just end up chasing you tail on carburetor issues.
Old January 10th, 2024, 08:25 AM

Your wiper vacuum comes off the double action fuel pump and is not connected to manifold vacuum whatsoever. If you follow that vacuum line back, you will see it ends at the fuel pump, which is run by a cam lobe internally in the engine...Tedd
Old January 10th, 2024, 08:32 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Your wiper vacuum comes off the double action fuel pump and is not connected to manifold vacuum whatsoever. If you follow that vacuum line back, you will see it ends at the fuel pump, which is run by a cam lobe internally in the engine...Tedd
Tedd - Since we're interested in measuring idle vacuum we want to measure manifold vacuum at idle. What is the best (correct) port to measure manifold vacuum?
Old January 10th, 2024, 09:18 AM
Running On Empty

As said, I don’t know the vacuum plumbing on this vehicle. With that said, unless I’m mistaken, I would suggest (ASSUME) a Power Brake booster would be connected to manifold vacuum even on this vehicle (even if it had no PB booster); albeit, it would seem to make sense at least one place to measure manifold vacuum would be the location where a PB booster would be connected?
Old January 10th, 2024, 10:40 AM
Art S

When I've taken my reading and it's according to the service manual I disconnect the line at the front of the carburetor at the tee and plug off the vac advance to dist.

Old January 12th, 2024, 11:24 AM

Hey guys I got my shop manual. I agree about making the correct adjustments on the carb and I will this weekend, however I think those adjusters are designed for an engine that runs tip top and doesn’t have 168,000 miles on it like mine, I’m assuming it’s 168 even tho it says 68k. The line on the back of my carb was hooked up to the wiper motor I’m not sure it is meant for that though. So your saying both ports on top of fuel pump go to both ports on the wiper motor? Either way I’ll look in the book on that part. I was reading on valves because I was looking into adjusting them, is it true you have to remove the cylinder head to adjust them?
Old January 12th, 2024, 12:46 PM

Hey guys I got my shop manual. I agree about making the correct adjustments on the carb and I will this weekend, however I think those adjusters are designed for an engine that runs tip top and doesn’t have 168,000 miles on it like mine, I’m assuming it’s 168 even tho it says 68k. The line on the back of my carb was hooked up to the wiper motor I’m not sure it is meant for that though. So your saying both ports on top of fuel pump go to both ports on the wiper motor? Either way I’ll look in the book on that part. I was reading on valves because I was looking into adjusting them, is it true you have to remove the cylinder head to adjust them?
Whew,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Norm? Where are you? After following this thread, my hair is starting to hurt. Hang in there Chris. Glad to hear that you bought a shop manual.
Old January 12th, 2024, 01:21 PM

sorry I meant the vacuum line on the back of my carb
Old January 12th, 2024, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by zzcruzin
Whew,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Norm? Where are you? After following this thread, my hair is starting to hurt. Hang in there Chris. Glad to hear that you bought a shop manual.
sorry didn’t mean to stress you out lol
Old January 12th, 2024, 01:59 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

There is no adjustment on the valves. It is not like a Chevrolet. If they were adjustable, you would only have to remove the valve covers to adjust them.
Old January 12th, 2024, 02:00 PM
Running On Empty

I guess it's supposed to be routed same as I already provided in the link in Post #90.
Old January 12th, 2024, 02:01 PM
Running On Empty

This is the link I sent you >>> Windshield Wiper vacuum diagram for 1955
Old January 12th, 2024, 02:13 PM

sorry didn’t mean to stress you out lol
No stress here Chris. Hang in there and good luck with it. Every day is a new day of learning. After 77 years, i still pick up things i never knew about. Just don't give up.
Old January 12th, 2024, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
There is no adjustment on the valves. It is not like a Chevrolet. If they were adjustable, you would only have to remove the valve covers to adjust them.
so they don’t fall out of adjustment? They just go bad?
Old January 12th, 2024, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by zzcruzin
No stress here Chris. Hang in there and good luck with it. Every day is a new day of learning. After 77 years, i still pick up things i never knew about. Just don't give up.
ok good to know! I won’t give up. You guys have helped me a lot
Old January 12th, 2024, 03:46 PM

This is the link I sent you >>> Windshield Wiper vacuum diagram for 1955
yeah I got that I’m just wondering why it doesn’t show it in the manual
Old January 12th, 2024, 03:54 PM
Running On Empty

yeah I got that I’m just wondering why it doesn’t show it in the manual
Odd it isn't listed in the manual either in the fuel pump section, wiper motor section, carburetor section or vacuum hose routing section.
Old January 12th, 2024, 04:06 PM
Running On Empty

Like anything, you can begin assuming you have the OEM original equipment, but keep in mind many of these old beasts had owners who might have done the ***** Nilly on parts, as well. So, double-check stuff as you move along. Stuff like...is it the OEM correct fuel pump mounted to the correct 324 engine block (as opposed to a 1950 block). This is all in your court, don't leave anything to chance - yes, MANY people have changed out parts in cars over 75 years. Just saying - leave nothing to chance.

1955 olds vacuum lines - windshield wipers
Old January 12th, 2024, 04:27 PM

Odd it isn't listed in the manual either in the fuel pump section, wiper motor section, carburetor section or vacuum hose routing section.
It’s ok I got the book now and it should explain everything in detail, I will look harder
Old January 12th, 2024, 04:34 PM

Like anything, you can begin assuming you have the OEM original equipment, but keep in mind many of these old beasts had owners who might have done the ***** Nilly on parts, as well. So, double-check stuff as you move along. Stuff like...is it the OEM correct fuel pump mounted to the correct 324 engine block (as opposed to a 1950 block). This is all in your court, don't leave anything to chance - yes, MANY people have changed out parts in cars over 75 years. Just saying - leave nothing to chance.

1955 olds vacuum lines - windshield wipers
I agree, luckily mine is all original even the fuel pump I replaced. Well I had the original fuel pump still do but it was shot so I bought the same exact one except on there’s a hard line and the other port has to use a rubber line either way but I’ll be checking it all in the book
Old January 12th, 2024, 04:34 PM

I agree, luckily mine is all original even the fuel pump I replaced. Well I had the original fuel pump still do but it was shot so I bought the same exact one except on there’s a hard line and the other port has to use a rubber line either way but I’ll be checking it all in the book
thanks for the link by the way
Old January 12th, 2024, 04:39 PM
Running On Empty

I'm hoping/thinking you're trying to identify correct vacuum routing to help w/ fine-tuning your engine - that's a good thing & the direction I'm hoping you're heading. If you have any hopes/ideas of troubleshooting/identifying issues w/ the wiper motor itself - I'd suggest you put the entire wiper motor assembly idea to bed/rest and save it for an entirely separate project down the road. These old jalopies have very unique wiper systems and after 75 years most of them are quite frankly shot-to-hell. They require dedicated repair work, meticulously rebuilding &/or sourcing correct parts - or, install an electric wiper assembly. With that said, remember what I stated in earlier posts - you want to measure intake manifold vacuum to establish your best/highest achievable vacuum (like a closed system). So, you can completely disconnect the wiper vacuum hoses and just leave as a unconnected separate assembly until you have the time to work on the wipers alone. Plug each port where a wiper vacuum might have been connected. Have fun reading your new manual - you'll learn tons.

Quick Reply: Starting issues 55 olds super 88