Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Starting issues 55 olds super 88

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2024, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
A/F mixture screws adjust the ratio of air:fuel mixture delivered into the intake manifold & ultimately into each cylinder. The A/F mixture ratio is adjusted w/ the engine at normal operating temperature with the idle set to the specific setting as outlined in the service manual.
I had to make the idle higher so the engine would stop jumping around. I honestly don’t know what it’s set at because my timing gun doesn’t read rpm’s. If I were to guess what my idle is at right now with the car warmed up in neutral I’d say about 750 to 800. But I never thought to lower the idle then adjust AF so I’ll try that. One of these days I’ll try to find and old meter that can read dwell and rpms and what not
Old February 19th, 2024, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Super88chris
I had to make the idle higher so the engine would stop jumping around. I honestly don’t know what it’s set at because my timing gun doesn’t read rpm’s. If I were to guess what my idle is at right now with the car warmed up in neutral I’d say about 750 to 800. But I never thought to lower the idle then adjust AF so I’ll try that. One of these days I’ll try to find and old meter that can read dwell and rpms and what not
I must have a valve issue or the exhaust manifolds because the engines runs smoother as the rpms get higher as opposed to sitting in nuetral with the throttle blades set according to the manual. In my base plate the throttle blades don’t make a square shape like most, mine make a circle shape when lined up correctly
Old February 20th, 2024, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
A/F mixture screws adjust the ratio of air:fuel mixture delivered into the intake manifold & ultimately into each cylinder. The A/F mixture ratio is adjusted w/ the engine at normal operating temperature with the idle set to the specific setting as outlined in the service manual.
so a valve can cause the the vacuum gauge needle to shake? My idle seems to do small surges and or its idling steady then I snap the throttle and and it goes back down to a lower rpm than before I snapped the throttle. But if I just lowly raise and lower the idle it puts the rpm back where it should be.