Finally Got My Front Seat

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Registered

Talking Finally Got My Front Seat

I picked up the front seat for my '71 Vista Cruiser at the trim shop and it is really nice, the back seat and cargo covers will be done soon too. It took about about 3 months because I had to get in line, but they are good. The seat looks just like the original, all copied from the old one. They used a few yards of NOS vinyl that came with the car when I bought it and the remainder they ordered from SMS.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3044/...c04b52215b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/...7d55b583f8.jpg

Allan H

Last edited by Bluevista; August 6th, 2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:09 PM

Looks gooood!

Don
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:26 AM

Looks sweet! That is one straight, rust-free body! When does she get her coats of paint?
I hope to own a Vista some day...
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Looks sweet! That is one straight, rust-free body! When does she get her coats of paint?
I hope to own a Vista some day...
Thanks, I spent all last summer stripping and massaging the body, less than a pint of filler in the whole car, there is some lead in places though. It came from California years ago and sat in storage for 15 years so it was rust free, rare with Vistas. It will be the original Nordic blue with the woodgrain vinyl on the bottom, all original down to the hub caps. I want to get the AC charged up and working and the wheels aligned then off to the paint shop. I got the Cruise control going today, Vista Cruising is cool.

Allan H
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:20 AM

I'm jealous. That was one heck of a find!

But your plans for the car are great - I love that Nordic Blue!

What did you have to do to the cruise? I am slowly obtaining a cruise set piece by piece and I know it will not work without a lot of massaging.
Get some pics posted when she gets back from the paint shop!
Old August 8th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I'm jealous. That was one heck of a find!

But your plans for the car are great - I love that Nordic Blue!

What did you have to do to the cruise? I am slowly obtaining a cruise set piece by piece and I know it will not work without a lot of massaging.
Get some pics posted when she gets back from the paint shop!
Thanks, I like that color too! looks the best on Oldsmobiles IMO. The cruise actually wasn't that hard after I figured it out, but what happens inside the transducer is rocket science to me. The chassis service manual walks you through diagnosis and I could even understand it. I replaced the transducer, all the lines, the servo was cracked and dry rotted, had a leaking brake release switch, and the turn signal stalk was cracked so I did that too, those things are hard to find. About the only thing left is the special brake and dash switches and the speedo cables. The most common problem is vacuum leaks, the servo has to be sealed well to the end plates on a '71, remember to put the spring inside before you put sealer on the ends and put it all back together. What cruise parts are you still looking for ?

Allan
Old August 8th, 2008, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by amh555
what happens inside the transducer is rocket science...
It is SUPPOSED TO BE!!

I still need the round servo unit, dash switch, and throttle linkage.
I may need another regulator for spare parts, as I am buying one now that looks rather icky.
It comes with some speedo cables & brake light switches, but they may not be the right ones, as this set came off a later model Toro I think. I think I can get those in repros fairly easily.
A true gamble this set will be.

I do have the manual and will understand it more when i get the reg and tear it apart. It is a bit confusing to read like you said!