Clocking Fuel Line Fitting

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2024, 03:16 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Clocking Fuel Line Fitting

Hey, all. The car is a '69 4-4-2 with G-block 400 and original Q-Jet. Still trying to sort the new fuel line I got to replace the one I cracked when I went to replace my fuel pump last year. It's finally all mostly in place, although the fuel line (from Inline Tube) is about an inch away from where it needs to be. However, I think I can worry that into position with my handheld tube bender.

What I can't figure out is how to clock the brass 90 degree fitting that goes from the fuel pump to the fuel line so it's properly oriented to accept the fuel line. On the old fuel pump, the fitting threaded into place and ended up in exactly the right position. However on the new pump the fitting ends up 180 degrees out, pointing down to the ground when threaded into place, when it needs to be pointed up toward the manifold and carburetor.

Obviously, I'm not going to be able to compensate for this using a tube bender, so that leaves me looking for a different solution. Using a washer or washers just seems like asking for a fuel leak and I guess I could try plumber's tape or putty but that seems pretty amateur. I'm sure there's something I'm missing.

Anybody else dealt with this and care to share? Mucho appreciado in advance!
Old April 22nd, 2024, 06:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

That fitting is a pipe thread. Washers won't do anything. You need to unscrew it and wrap a few more layers of teflon tape on the threads. Don't gorilla it past the correct orientation.
Old April 22nd, 2024, 07:37 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That fitting is a pipe thread. Washers won't do anything. You need to unscrew it and wrap a few more layers of teflon tape on the threads. Don't gorilla it past the correct orientation.
Will give it a try. Thanks, Joe.
Old April 22nd, 2024, 11:14 AM

Those intermediate brass couplers can be a pain in the nuts to orient correctly and seal. You either have to go heavy on the tape/dope and stop short or use less (and cross your fingers) and go one more full rotation.
Old April 23rd, 2024, 10:31 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Don't gorilla it past the correct orientation.
Apparently you've seen my work ...
Old April 27th, 2024, 01:55 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Well, I got it in there and with a couple of layers of teflon tape, it's lined up perfectly. And the good news is, it comes off at such an angle that I may get away without bending the fuel line too much -- maybe not at all.

The bad news is, I did a little further investigation (when will I learn not to do this?) and it looks as though the white teflon tape I got is inappropriate for a fuel line application. So it looks like I will have to strip it off and re-wrap with something else that will be gasoline resistant.

Any recommendations?
Old April 27th, 2024, 02:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
Any recommendations?
Yeah, leave it alone. I've used lots of white Teflon tape in fuel systems over the last 50 years with zero issues.
Old April 27th, 2024, 02:13 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Yeah, leave it alone. I've used lots of white Teflon tape in fuel systems over the last 50 years with zero issues.
This is good news. Thanks. Joe.
Old April 27th, 2024, 02:17 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
Any recommendations?
I've used PTFE in various gasoline/petroleum threaded applications for years & never witnessed any issue. Did you purchase the brand name Teflon (PTFE) and not some off-labeled wannabe product?
Old April 27th, 2024, 03:35 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I've used PTFE in various gasoline/petroleum threaded applications for years & never witnessed any issue. Did you purchase the brand name Teflon (PTFE) and not some off-labeled wannabe product?
White teflon. Can't remember the name but it was nobody I ever heard of so probably a wannabe. The parts guy said it was what they had and it would be fine for my application. I'm ***-uming that the fact that I'm using it to alter the position of the thread rather than for an actual seal (flare fitting) makes its quality less crucial.
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Well nearly a year after I started down this road, it's all buttoned up with no apparent leaks and the engine runs well, so it seems like the fuel pump was definitely the issue.

Now I have to address the oil, which is inexplicably filthy. I know I didn't do my usual fall oil and filter change last year because the car was laid up, but usually the oil comes out just as clean as it went in. Hmmm ...