Stock carburetor lay out

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2024, 04:45 PM

Stock carburetor lay out

Ok so I’m trying to get my car started there’s some hoses that are not connected and I’m looking for pictures or a diagram of the top of the manifold or vacuum diagram to see were everything goes. Also I’m trying to use the quadrajet carb it came with and need to see if it’s the correct one for this car. Please help

What vacuum lines can I plug.

What hoses go here.

Is this the right carb.

I want to go electric choke.

I’m missing something here
Old March 16th, 2024, 05:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Since you didn't specify any details, I'm going to ***-U-ME that the 7040250 carb means that you have a 1970 Olds 350 motor. If your concern is about the two ports at the top rear of the carb, the one with the plugged hose is supposed to be the clean air inlet to the choke stove in the passenger side of the crossover under the carb. I suspect that tube was broken off years ago. The other open port is the vent port for the Transmission Controlled Spark system, which was a prehistoric emissions control system designed to reduce NOx emissions. I don't see the TCS solenoid, so I assume that was trashed years ago as well. I'd be more concerned about the apparently creative hose routing at the thermal vacuum switch at the front of the intake. If you don't have a 1970 Chassis Service Manual, you need to get one.
Old March 16th, 2024, 10:42 PM

Thank you Joe
for your reply I will look to see we’re I can get this manual from.
Old March 17th, 2024, 02:24 AM
Running On Empty

This is what you're looking for. Purchase an original OEM used paperback edition...new books are often replete with poor copy & difficult to read...buy original, which also contains color wiring diagrams. You may find less expensive, do your research. The CSM is your bible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18615393331...itdCKSVd3RR1VI
Old March 17th, 2024, 06:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70dreams
Thank you Joe
for your reply I will look to see we’re I can get this manual from.
I've found ebay to be the best source. Get an original paper copy, not a PDF or a reprint. There were never any electronic versions of the original in 1970, so all reprints or electronic copies are scans of a paper copy. Fine details in diagrams and sometimes whole pages get lost in that process. Naturally 1970 is the most sought-after year, and originals are priced accordingly. The original was all in one volume, so if the one you're looking at is two volumes, it's a reprint.

The other book you'll find useful is the Fisher Body Manual, which covers all the body components (glass, seats, trunk, upholstery, body wiring, etc). Less of a priority than the CSM, but eventually needed.

The Product Information Manual (aka "Assembly Manual") is a compilation of the engineering drawing used to assemble the car on the assembly line. I'd rank this third in priority but it's extremely useful for a "correct" restoration or even just guidance on reassembly. You'll find that a lot of the drawings in the CSM originally came from drawings in the PIM. When you decide to get a PIM, don't go anywhere other than Paul Sigmund (Hairy Olds on this site). His reprints are light years better than any other you'll find.