Summit Racing epoxy chassis shield paint

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2012, 02:12 AM

Summit Racing epoxy chassis shield paint

I’m trying this paint out, just got the car back from sand blasting this evening. I haven’t seen much on it as far as pics on the forums so I figured I’d make a quick post in case some guys are curious. Its $55 from Summit for 2 quarts of mixed paint.

I did a quick spray out on my alternator bracket after cleaning it up with a wire wheel. I’ll be using the semi-gloss version, and it’s about a 50-60 degree level of gloss.

I’m going to attempt to attach pics to the post to show the texture of sand blasting. I’m using this paint direct to metal, right after sand blasting on the underside of the floor boards, rear axle, core support, and all engine brackets. I’ll be priming the firewall, have some touch up work to do, then I’ll use this paint over the prime on the firewall, and on the inside areas of the fenders.

I’ll be spraying these parts tomorrow, all shot outdoors, and I’ll post more pics so you guys can see what it looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo small.jpg (79.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg
photo (20) small.jpg (72.7 KB, 58 views)
Old September 8th, 2012, 04:54 AM

looks great...

Your floors look great ...looking forward to pictures :-) is this stuff made for bare metal ? That is a great price for premixed spray able paint.
Old September 8th, 2012, 05:51 PM

Thanks!

Yes the instructions say bare metal is preferred, and the alternator bracket came out good and it seems to be very strong.
It’s not a pre-mixed paint, but it’s a simple 1:1 ratio, the kit comes with a quart of each component so you get 2 quarts of mix for $55. Also according to the instructions it can be brushed on too, but I’ll be spraying it unreduced with my Iwata LPH440 primer gun with a 1.6 tip.

I wasn’t able to get it shot today, I spend hours and hours vacuuming and blowing out sand, that stuff gets everywhere. I also had to seal in all the floor pan plugs.

I should have a full report with pics on Monday as far as how it sprays and how far the 2 quarts goes.

If you want to read up on it, here’s a link to the summit page, the click instructions.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-CSUMUP501/
Old September 8th, 2012, 06:30 PM

interested to see how it works. Summit has a lot of paint products out right now for a decent price but I have yet to try any. I know they do not make it themselves and I have not been able to find out who makes it for them. Summit does stand behind their stuff pretty well so I doubt they made any short cuts as warranty can eat up profits fast and all the Summit brand stuff I have used in the past was pretty good quality.
Old September 8th, 2012, 06:40 PM

Yeah their prices are very decent for the hobbyist. I haven’t been able find any info on who is making the products for summit. I bought a quart of their high solids, acrylic urethane clear just to play with it for the hell of it. I shot a few small panels that I’ll leave in the sun for a long term durability test. It went on like any other high solids, flowed really nice, high gloss, has an average scratch resistance, but sands very easy for an acrylic urethane. Outside of the mil thickness I can't tell it apart from the House of Kolor show clear as far as the level of gloss, but it would be easier for a beginning to spray. It acts like production clear, very fast flash times, and seems to be a very cheap alternative for the home/garage painter. I’m very curious to see how well it holds up over time.

I think most of us are scared of trying their products, and to be honest the price scares me a little too. I might try their full line of base/clear products and be the guinea pig.

Last edited by Porter858; September 8th, 2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Needed to add a few more points.
Old September 18th, 2012, 07:43 PM

Sorry for the delay, but here are the pics.

All these parts were shot outdoors in open air, paint was not reduced, in 80 degree weather and very humid.

All the parts I used the Summit paint on were all blasted, cleaned, and then shot direct to metal with no prime, no further scuffing or anything.

The paint works really well, it flows out easy, you would have to try to make it run. 2 med/wet coats and it does like bigger tips on the gun, I tested with a 1.4 and 1.6. It seems to fully cure after about 4 days, and it’s a nice hard epoxy finish. It reminds me of the Eastwood chassis paint. According to the instructions you can also brush this paint on, but I didn’t try it.

photo%20(1)_zps1555ade3.jpg

photo_zps7f52a047.jpg

photo%20(8)_zpsec19ecd3.jpg

test_zps3c3bd57f.jpg

photo%20(7)_zps9906a37a.jpg

photo%20(2)_zps88f97370.jpg

photo%20(3)_zpsd6db13ca.jpg

photo%20(4)_zps2a3b54f9.jpg

photo%20(5)_zpsc7a65a1e.jpg

photo%20(6)_zpsc02d4b6a.jpg

Here are some pics of the frame for a gloss comparison. The frame was blasted and powder coated with a semi-gloss finish.

d413cdcc.jpg

a0f1fd00.jpg

0578c2a0.jpg

68997437.jpg
Old September 18th, 2012, 08:04 PM

All I can say is "Wow!" That looks great. Nice job!
Old September 18th, 2012, 08:51 PM

Thanks!!!