Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Garbage man backs up into my 68 Cutlass Supreme :(

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2013, 05:41 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Looking at your car (which I agree is very nice), and consulting CollectorCarMarket, I would doubt that it's value could possibly be over $5,000. Given that the cost of repairs at a shop could easily exceed $3,000, a Total is a good possibility, especially after the shop works the price up, and the insurer works the value down.

This is an example of a circumstance where it would have been better to talk to the owner, come up with a number, and take cash for the damage. With a bit of time and work, you could have had this fixed yourself for well under $2,000 (possibly under $1,000, depending on your, or your buddies', skills). As it stands, you may get lucky and get the job done right and paid for, but you may also be in for a massive paperwork hassle that, at this point, you can't back out of, unless you completely walk away from the claim.

- Eric
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:03 AM

You never did say if you have collision coverage with you Insurance Co. and if it is a regular auto policy or a classic car stated value policy ?
In reality when you submit a $2400 - $3000 estimate to this guy, he may tell you to file w/the Insurance Co. - his deductible has nothing to do with this - he would only be responsible for the deductible on the repairs of his vehicle. The reason he is thinking about paying out of pocket for the repairs is so he does not have a at fault claim on his policy that may impact his rates down the road.
Generally, the T/L threshold repair vs. value is 80%. It depends on the Insurance Co. You own the car -so no one is coming to get it unless you let them. There are things you can do to keep this under the 80% threshold and still end up with a like, kind and quality repair - which means to put it back the way it was - no better or no worse. This is where many are going to disagree with me - but I would not be taking to the most expensive restoration shop that you can find and submitting a $4500 estimate. I can only speak about body shops in my local area and can assure you there a few that take pride in their work and do quality work and work on both late model and older vehicles. There are also restoration shops that do flawless work that you will pay double the price. The question is what was your car before the wreck - was it a restored showcar or a nice driver. Lets say you had hit a pole and had to pay out of pocket for the repairs - where would you have it fixed? I would be pro-active and determine what parts you need and try to find the most cost effective quality parts you can and obtain the prices. Get some estimates from both restoration shops and QUALITY Body Shops and give them the details on the parts you found, decide on the shop that will do the best work that you would be satisfied with a price that will not hopefully exceed that threshold and submit to the owner, if he pays than great you will not need to involve the Insurance Co. and can withdraw the claim and if does not want to pay then go thru the Insurance process.
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
I was leaving to go on my lunch break at work and I am behind a garbage truck at the stop sign. The driver all of a sudden goes into reverse and backs up straight into me. He tried to take off and pretend like he didn't feel a thing but thats BS. Exchanged insurance info and his boss showed up and told me they are going to pay out of pocket unless it goes over their deductible.

How much unseen damage is done? It looks like the bumper is misaligned, the hood has shifted to the left, the right of the bumper folded in, light bezel cracked, corner dented in and the support rod under the bumper bent. What a nightmare

Next time when you're behind a truck whether its a stop sign or a traffic light dont get to close behind them. Be about more than 15-20 feet back. When the truck driver steps on he clutch the truck tends to roll back.
Old August 31st, 2013, 08:22 AM

They would've failed my truck driving test if I let the truck roll backwards at a stop, so that's a sloppy driver.
Old August 31st, 2013, 08:34 AM

Many corporations carry insurance with very high deductibles. 5-10k would not be unusual. This may be one of the reasons that they are wanting to do this outside of their insurance policy. They do not want to submit a claim for a lot of reasons. I would get 2 estimates from 2-3 restoration type shops that perform bodywork and take them to the company to try and resolve the issue without the insurance companies involvement.
Old August 31st, 2013, 08:56 AM
MOTORHEAD

I was leaving to go on my lunch break at work and I am behind a garbage truck at the stop sign. The driver all of a sudden goes into reverse and backs up straight into me. He tried to take off and pretend like he didn't feel a thing but thats BS. Exchanged insurance info and his boss showed up and told me they are going to pay out of pocket unless it goes over their deductible.

How much unseen damage is done? It looks like the bumper is misaligned, the hood has shifted to the left, the right of the bumper folded in, light bezel cracked, corner dented in and the support rod under the bumper bent. What a nightmare

oh no
that sucks
i had my insurance company tell me they were going to total one of my olds cars. i spent about 100dollars and had the car appraised by a classic car appraiser. even with damage the vehicles value was well above the couple grand they were offering. the insurance company paid to repair my car.

good luck
Old August 31st, 2013, 03:15 PM

Thanks for all the comments and advice once again.

My policy is a standard car policy that does not have collision. I had a hard time going through Hagerty because they didnt like my storeage options. The claim was filed with my insurance company and the adjuster contacted their insurance company about the accident. They are waiting for me to pick a shop and schedule for an appraiser to meet with the shop owner to discuss the estimates. At this point I think I am going to get 2-3 estimates from a few different style shops and fax them over to the owner like he asked. If they agree I will drop the claim. If they disagree I will arrange for the insurance appraiser to get involved and go from there. This is sounding like the best option at the moment.

Last edited by yeahbuddy; August 31st, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old September 19th, 2013, 04:07 PM

How did things turn out Yeahbuddy?
Old September 19th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Administrator

I hope satisfactorily.
Old September 27th, 2013, 12:38 PM

Hi guys, thanks for asking about the update. I've been extremely busy with work these last 3 weeks but I managed to go into two reputable shops. I got a estimate for $2200. Going to submit these to the company and see if they are willing to pay. If not then I will handle it with the insurance company. Will keep you posted.

Last edited by yeahbuddy; October 3rd, 2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old September 29th, 2013, 04:30 PM

Yes, please post the results. Fingers crossed that it works in your favor.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:25 AM

They saw the estimate and told me to hand it over to the insurance company.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:35 AM
Administrator

I guess there was some butt pucker associated with looking at the estimate.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:38 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

They saw the estimate and told me to hand it over to the insurance company.
Foolish on their part.
If they have multiple trucks they'll pay more than that in increases next year because of the claim

- Eric
Old October 2nd, 2013, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I guess there was some butt pucker associated with looking at the estimate.
They ought to consider themselves lucky. A strike like that to the front of a newer modern plastic luxo car would've cost waayy more...

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Foolish on their part.
If they have multiple trucks they'll pay more than that in increases next year because of the claim
- Eric
X2
Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:45 PM

Yeah, I see it every day. The general public has no clue how expensive body repairs are. Good thing is you have already contacted his and your Insurance Company, just call his company, submit the claim with the estimate - you have the right to have it repaired at your shop and they also owe you a rental car while it is getting repaired or if you don't need the rental they owe you "loss of use" - a dollar amount per day you are without you vehicle on top of the repair costs. In California they have strict laws on the amount of time it will need to be settled, do not delay - call them.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:57 PM

Spoke to their insurance agent this morning and they accepted liability. They were ready to settle it. Going to meet with their appraiser and the shop tomorrow for the estimate and car appraisal. Once that is handled they write a check to me. This whole thing is just a burden but I'm more upset how it managed to go 40+ years without a dent and one careless driver in a truck changed it all.
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:18 AM

Sounds like it's finally moving in the right direction. Fingers crossed for a decent appraisal.
Old October 18th, 2013, 06:22 PM

Update: They cut me a check for $2,385. Also qualify to get a rental during repairs and any "hidden" damages or parts increases needs to be submitted for consideration. If agreed they will pay the shop directly. It was a pretty seamless process once they accepted liability. I just hope this will cover it and not end up being a bigger mess. Appreciate all of your comments and advice guys. You all really are the only reason I am able to drive my 68 everyday.

Last edited by yeahbuddy; October 18th, 2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old October 18th, 2013, 06:30 PM

Excellent news! Don't forget pics when she's back on the road.
Old October 18th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Good to hear, hopefully the repair is as seamless.
Old October 18th, 2013, 06:41 PM
MOTORHEAD

hey man
drop your car off
do not cash the check
enjoy the renta ride until you saddle up next
regards
Old October 18th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Justin

Update: They cut me a check for $2,385. Also qualify to get a rental during repairs and any "hidden" damages or parts increases needs to be submitted for consideration. If agreed they will pay the shop directly. It was a pretty seamless process once they accepted liability. I just hope this will cover it and not end up being a bigger mess. Appreciate all of your comments and advice guys. You all really are the only reason I am able to drive my 68 everyday.

Great news !!
Maybe check with the shop and see if you can swing a new paint job if you can make the difference my fear would be trying to blend 30+ year old paint
Old October 18th, 2013, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by oldstata
Great news !!
Maybe check with the shop and see if you can swing a new paint job if you can make the difference my fear would be trying to blend 30+ year old paint
Previous owner painted the car. Based on the build sheet and the 1995 Alpha Beta receipt I found under the carpet , probably more around 15 years old.