Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Roof/sail panel lead work

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2021, 05:06 AM

Roof/sail panel lead work

During all the work I have done on my turd, I have had to remove much of the body lead in the roof to sail panel seam. I would like to know if anyone has outright replaced the lead with a grafted in piece of sheetmetal and did you notice any downside to doing so? I don't mind learning to do lead but, this is probably the only time I will ever have to do it and I have everything on hand to weld it up and be done.

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Old July 17th, 2021, 12:09 PM
Oldsdruid

All the factory did was change over from lead to plastic filler. Unless you have a really deep chasm, prepping it and using high quality plastic filler properly should work fine.

When the vinyl roof came off my Toronado I was convinced the car had had the RH quarter replaced as the roof to quarter seam had plastic filler on that side and lead on the left. All well and good- except all the other quarter seams were leaded!🤨

Was discussing it at 1996 Nationals and a GM Euclid body plant retiree solved the mystery for me. Apparently, in Nov-Dec 1968, there was some experimentation going on with using plastic filler under vinyl top jobs as a time and cost saving measure vs using lead.

That car's 12C build date has explained a lot of the weird things I've found on it.

Last edited by rocketraider; July 17th, 2021 at 12:13 PM.
Old July 17th, 2021, 02:35 PM

I have seen this product used in a similar situation to yours. Worked out very well and was very strong.
Amazon Amazon
Old July 19th, 2021, 04:52 AM

gm did go to plastic for the vinyl top cars.sometimes a car would get lead,for various reasons,could have been breaking in a new guy,or not read the manifest correctly on the front of the car. blow hole from a spot welder,lots of reasons. i used to do those lead seams on line and repair line at fisher lansing plant.
Old July 19th, 2021, 05:14 AM

From what I have seen and learned, MIG that seam solid, grind & finish conscientiously and it will take the lightest skim coat of plastic to finish, if that. With enough skill and maybe a little luck it might only need to be primed. You could also use the All Metal mentioned but probably don’t even need it. All Metal is a good product, from what I can tell was designed as a substitute for lead back in the day but it’s still relevant. I would use the same procedure on the convertible deck panels after learning the hard way and seeing good results on other cars with finished, smoothed deck seams between the deck lid and back glass.

Maybe oldolds88 can make a house call to paddle that sucker!😬
Old July 19th, 2021, 07:13 AM
Oldsdruid

Oldolds88, about the convertible filler panels bccan mentioned. Were those leaded and filled smooth or was the seam line supposed to be visible. Had a 73 88 convertible Lansing car that was finished smooth. I've seen other 71-76 B convertibles from other plants that weren't. Was that a Lansing thing?
Old July 19th, 2021, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the solid replies guys!

Rocketraider, that is an odd anomaly with the Toronado, I would have thought the quarter was relaced as well.

oldolds88, you're move than welcome to swing by and lead her in...A bit of a dying art it is.
Old July 19th, 2021, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by bccan
From what I have seen and learned, MIG that seam solid, grind & finish conscientiously and it will take the lightest skim coat of plastic to finish, if that. With enough skill and maybe a little luck it might only need to be primed.
This is where I'm at, sheetmetal is greater than filler in my eyes.