Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

Ceramic Coating for paint?

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2021, 05:10 AM

Ceramic Coating for paint?

Has anyone had their car ceramic coated? Any disadvantages or long term side affects? My mom and dad have a 90 Toronado Trofeo' with 40K miles and really nice. The paint has faded some but only because he NEVER polishes it or waxes it. Just gets washed one time a year and put back in the garage. I took it to a detail place that recommends the ceramic coating and said with the way my parents use it that it will look new forever and not ever need waxed. I asked my body guy about it and he said that is correct and for their car it would be perfect to do. My dad is worse than me and will never wax the car or care for the paint so I think it is the way to go. Have any of you had this done and what did you think of it. It is $1500 to have done.
Old June 18th, 2021, 05:52 AM
Olds Fanatic

I can tell you I had my black ATS done when I bought it back in 2016 and the paint still looks brand new (you know how black can get). I haven't waxed it, only use spray detailer when necessary. The car is my daily driver but I don't put a ton of miles on it, it has 33,000. I'm very glad I had it done.

That's not a bad price.
Old June 18th, 2021, 06:15 AM

I have ceramic coated 5 cars and a bike myself. Three black trucks, a black bike, a gray car and a white car. I am not a professional. I did it mainly to prevent swirls on a black truck. I liked the truck in black but hate swirl marks which are so easy to see in a black vehicle. I think it’s worth it. The truck I did several years ago did not have a swirl on it when I sold it. It’s not hard to apply but labor intensive. Most of the labor is the prep. Clay bar, polishing, etc...The paint has to be perfect because you basically seal
in any defects. It’s like a nano clear coat. It keeps the car WAY cleaner. It will last a long time especially if the car is garage kept. Also wash with a low ph soap to make it last longer also. There are coatings that last longer than others so ask about that. The costing I used lasts about 3-4 years it says. I have reapplied it to a vehicle once. All other vehicles are still on the original coating. $1500 is a good price. I was quoted twice that at some places when I wanted to do it. That’s why I did it myself.
Old June 18th, 2021, 08:06 AM

I had my 72 clay barred, buffed and ceramic coated 2 years ago. it made the paint look new and I have only used instant detailer on it since then.

Old June 18th, 2021, 09:46 AM

So there is not really anything drastically negative abut it? I was googling it and the only thing I was finding was the cost as a bad thing. Not seeing where anyone had trouble with it.
Old June 18th, 2021, 10:48 AM
Olds Fanatic

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
So there is not really anything drastically negative abut it? I was googling it and the only thing I was finding was the cost as a bad thing. Not seeing where anyone had trouble with it.
Nothing negative to say about it, once its done you won't even think about what it cost.
Old June 18th, 2021, 05:44 PM
72Cutlass S

Had my wife's Mercedes done. It cost around 1800.00 but it looks great. Now i pressure wash it once a week and blow the water off and use one of the big california dusters on it every other day and it looks great all the time.
Old June 19th, 2021, 05:25 AM

A friend of my details on the side and did a 3-5 year ceramic coating on my daily driver, a white 300S. It looked great, dirt doesn't stick to it as well and it stayed cleaner longer between washings. I sold the car a few weeks ago, and I plan on having him do my new daily as well, a 2007 CTS-V.

I'm having some rust repair done on the Cutlass this winter, once that is done and the paint is fully cured, I'll have him do the same thing on that car as well.
Old June 20th, 2021, 02:49 PM

I'm with the rest of the crowed. I did the Miata a couple of weeks ago and the major cost is the the little bottle of the coating. Kinda makes you choke to layout 50+ bucks for a couple of ounces of coating but the rest of the supplies were regular detail stuff most of us already have. Took about a hour and a half to prep the car(little car) and twenty minutes to apply the coating. Really easy and $1500 bucks seems high for as much time it would take. I didn't cut many corners to save time but did use a bigger foam stain type applicator that worked well..... Tedd
Old June 21st, 2021, 09:34 AM

the cost to do my Supreme Convertible was under $1000 for a product that is supposed to last a minimum of three years.
Old June 21st, 2021, 11:06 AM
72Cutlass S

I should have included that the cost included a complete detail and paint correction before the coating was applied. It is also a GL63 suv so its pretty big.
Old June 21st, 2021, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by gs72
I should have included that the cost included a complete detail and paint correction before the coating was applied. It is also a GL63 suv so its pretty big.
That is how this is. This car have never been polished or even waxed since it was made in 1990 so they have to polish it and do some paint correction. He did say that the details before the finish was a major part of the cost.
Old June 21st, 2021, 11:57 AM
Olds Fanatic

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
That is how this is. This car have never been polished or even waxed since it was made in 1990 so they have to polish it and do some paint correction. He did say that the details before the finish was a major part of the cost.
And a major part of getting the job done right!
Old June 21st, 2021, 01:39 PM

We had my wife's new Bronco Sport done, like everyone is saying, most of the work is the prep, de-contamination of paint, correction of paint and the better the product the more care needs to be taken. The pro line of ceramics need to be applied in small areas avoiding applying to thick, not laying flat. Once applied your paint has what's almost like a layer of clear and it's easier to clean, keep clean and has way more resistance to environmental and organic fall out, bird droppings, sap, acid rain etc.
Old June 21st, 2021, 05:22 PM

When the coatings are dealer/vendor applied, another expense contributor is often the warranty. We did a number of estimates for Simoniz warranty w/ car dealers and did some repairs. Vehicle owners get sold that this stuff is better than Abrams tank armor and if they get something that gets through it and etches the paint they want blood.

It is a bitch to clean off prior to repairs.

——-