Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

Landau roof fixing around window trim

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2020, 01:45 AM
77 Toronado 403

Landau roof fixing around window trim

Hello community!
My vinyl is in very good condition except around the little windows.
I really like to keep the Original vinyl since it looks great. Is there a way just to fix or cover up the cracks? Maybe with a wider trim around the window?
Its just about the looks. It’s sitting in a heated garage and will never be driven in the rain or bad weather. The climate here on the Baltic Coast is just to rough to make it a every day car.
It will stay a sunny day joyride for me.

So an optical fix would be fine with me that gives me the chance of keeping the original vinyl.

Any ideas how to accomplish that.

Thanks and cheers from Germany
Walle

Old November 18th, 2020, 04:54 AM

Walle, you need to get a Factory Service Manual and Chassis Service Manual for your Olds. That will have instructions on removing the trim around the vinyl top.

Ultimately, you might try to use a vinyl and leather repair kit on the vinyl top. I used this kit to fix a small tear in the leather seat of my Ford F150 years ago. It worked great.

Amazon Amazon
Old November 18th, 2020, 05:29 AM
77 Toronado 403

Thanks a lot. The repair kit seems to be a very good idea!

I already ordered a repair manual but unfortunately in Germany stuff like that is hard to find so it always takes forever for shipping to get here from overseas.

Since it may be a good idea to use new trim for the repair is it still possible to get new trim somewhere?
Old November 18th, 2020, 08:53 AM
Oldsdruid

Your top looks fine. Way better than most actually. The slits are where the factory installers cut the vinyl to get it to mould to the window opening.

What has happened is the plastic trim finish mouldings around the window opening have shrunk and warped. You need new mouldings, but since any new old stock GM mouldings have probably warped and distorted as bad as what you have, they may be hard to find.

Nothing that can't be fixed. Mike Brewer on Wheeler Dealers tv show is always finding craftsmen in UK to tackle jobs like this, so I would think you can find someone in Germany.
Old November 18th, 2020, 10:02 PM
77 Toronado 403

I think a craftsman like this will be Hard to find since vinyl tops are very very rare in Germany but maybe it’s worth a try.

Do they sell like „universal“ aftermarket plastic trim finish mouldings for cases like that somewhere?
Old November 19th, 2020, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Walle
Do they sell like „universal“ aftermarket plastic trim finish mouldings for cases like that somewhere?
You might be able to find universal trim to use to replace the deteriorated factory trim. Usually, I would suggest searching for "adhesive chrome trim" at the JC Whiteny website. Apparently, JC Whitney has been bought though. Here are some links:

https://www.carparts.com/jc-whitney

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/

You want something like this:

Amazon Amazon
Old November 19th, 2020, 06:43 AM
77 Toronado 403

Do you think I will be able to bend that adhesive trim around those corners and it will stay there for good?
Old November 19th, 2020, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Walle
Do you think I will be able to bend that adhesive trim around those corners and it will stay there for good?
It may adhere adequately. Can you find a local dealer that sells automotive accessories like that? Another dealer in the US that sells accessories is Pep Boys.

https://www.pepboys.com/
Old November 19th, 2020, 10:41 AM
77 Toronado 403

The automotive accessories market ist not as big as in the USA but I will check on that.
Also I got pointed to an pretty good upholstery guy close by who seems to now something about vinyl tops too.