Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

Paint restoration.

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2021, 12:10 PM

Paint restoration.

Anyone know how to get paint back to a nice shine?

This is on the day I bought it. I washed and waxed it w/ zibart The paint came to life a little but not all the way. My next step is to try buffing it. Any advice I am going to get it painted back to black but no time soon. Thanks.
Old March 5th, 2021, 12:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

If that is original paint, GM was still using lacquer. Lacquer responds well to buffing compound and even light wet sanding if it's heavily oxidized. Obviously you have to be very careful if you are color sanding (and even power buffing) to not burn through the paint. If' the car has ever been repainted, it's likely enamel and won't respond well to buffing compound.
Old March 5th, 2021, 12:32 PM
Oldsdruid

Go to a body and paint supply store and get a medium cut compound, a fine cut compound and a wax. Black may also need a swirl remover. I like Meguiars because their number system is easy to use and the stuff works, but there are several very good name brands that can bring neglected paint back. They can also recommend suitable pads and applicators.

Use an orbital buffer with the medium cut compound to start. See if the paint smooths out and color comes back; if not you may need to go one grade rougher cut compound to start.

Keep going to progressively finer cut compounds till the paint is slick and has good color. Then use swirl remover and final polish followed by wax.

Check to see if the paint is checked (crowsfoot looking marks) on hood, roof and trunk lid. No amount of work will get those out. You may also burn thru paint on sharp edges.

Learn to do this and you can make some side money detailing cars. Get really good at it and you can make a living doing it.
Old March 5th, 2021, 01:04 PM

Sounds good thank you both. I will try on my own hopefully I get great results and can avoid paying to get its shine.

I am looking at the megauiars 3 step paint care kit now.
Old March 5th, 2021, 03:40 PM

Thoroughly wash the car, clay it, wet sand a small spot with 3000 grit and buff that area with polishing compound e.g., Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (not rubbing compound). A dual action buffer will reduce the chances of burning the paint. Wax the buffed area with two coats and see the result. The 3000 will dull the paint slightly don't panic when it does. When sanding stay away from the edges.

The key is to be patient and do not do any damage, work slowly and gently.

Most importantly take before and after pictures and post 'em!!!
Old March 5th, 2021, 05:13 PM

That paint is delaminating. Not saying it won’t clean up some but I don’t think it’s gonna like much massaging. Sides of car will yield some result but top surfaces not much. Might want to try one of those finish restore waxes and call it a day, that’ll get her shiny for 2-4 weeks at a clip.
Old March 5th, 2021, 07:20 PM

If you lay down some 1/4" masking tape over your sharp body lines, you will minimize the chance that you will burn through the paint over those edges. Go back and work them by hand after you pull the tape.