Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

Rust under the Decal

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2022, 10:42 AM

Rust under the Decal

Here's a tough one..........I have rust on both of my TA's front fenders....near the front.......below is the worst...passenger side. Can I possibly peel back the decal with a heat gun and repair it....then reglue the decal??? I am NOT going to pull the fender and have it welded....can't afford that kind of repair....I'm going to do what I can to fix it cosmetically (fiberglass and JB weld...my weapons of choice) and with the best hope of slowing the progression....and then drive it for a while before deciding what to do with the car. Pix of the car were placed in the Newbie section when I signed up a month or so ago....thanx.

Old March 19th, 2022, 11:22 AM

Any time I've encountered rust bubbling like that, the underlying metal was weaker than tinfoil...and pretty much non-existent after dealing with the rust. The decal is unlikely to peel off undamaged (depending on it's age), but you could always look at getting someone with a vinyl cutter to make a replacement (take good measurements).
Old March 19th, 2022, 12:53 PM

Yes, I fear you're right about the rust.......I cringe thinking about starting to dig on it..........maybe a repop fender would be a better choice?
Old March 19th, 2022, 01:43 PM

Is the car drivable? If so, take the car to a local "wrap" installer and have them take the measurements to make a new decal. When you pull that decal off, it is going to take the paint and most of the metal wilth it. I don't see any chance of saving it, but a wrap installer will be able to cut out a new fender decal for a lot less than the cost of a decal set through a reproduction parts house. Another thought: if you just want it to look "Okay", you can paint the stripe back on. Use fine line vinyl masking tape to make the stripe shape then paint it flat black after fixing the rust and painting the red.

Last edited by Loaded68W34; March 19th, 2022 at 01:45 PM.
Old March 19th, 2022, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Very slim chance of saving that decal, like the others have said you can replace it with OEM or fabricate one.
Old March 19th, 2022, 02:20 PM

Exclamation

Never mind the decal, the rust is EXTENSIVE.

I would be worried about the rest of the car frankly.
Old March 19th, 2022, 04:22 PM

I'll update with pix as I dig into it.........I've been picking around the rest of the car.....the front fenders are far and away worse than the rest of it....Car spent its life in West Virginia....not much survives this long. Lotta surface rust on the underside, but I don't see anything alarming. Stay tuned.