'72 442 W30 - Specific Car only

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2023, 01:04 PM
Squeaker

'72 442 W30 - Specific Car only

Update 10/10/23:

Found the car. Owner originally agreed to sell it to me for an agreed amount. After our call the guy changed his mind and wanted to trade one of the two cars I had left. I told him I was keeping one and had a buyer ready for the other. When I asked when he'd be available to make the deal, he dropped communication.

I later called to apologize as coming across a bit flaky, but it was coming up on the 4 year death anniversary and my excitement to get the '72 was immense. He quickly expressed, quite coldly, "I don't think you know what you want." Evidently searching for a car for 3.5 years wasn't clear enough in what I wanted. I'm guessing he was miffed I didn't want to trade either of the cars after he showed zero interest in a trade on our first phone call (which is why I lined up a buyer in less than 24 hours for one of my two)

Disappointed doesn't even begin to describe it, but it just wasn't in the cards for me.

__________________________________________________ __

Good afternoon everyone,

I stumbled (back) across your forum while troubleshooting my late husband's '69 Hurst Olds and decided I wanted to make a post of his '72 I'm desperately trying to track down.

Sold in May 2016, we were paying storage fees on three cars and he'd just purchased his '69 H/O and was thrilled. We snagged a '70 W30 the year prior that was the real deal and his '72 U-Code Supreme. Given his '72 was a replica and at the time needed the most work, he felt that was the one he wanted to part with. Despite me telling him "This isn't right" when the guy came to pick it up.

Matador red, black vinyl top + black interior. Torq thrust wheels were on it when sold. The car was originally a 350 car with a manual transmission. When the car was sold the clutch was still under the carpet. Now it has a 455 and an automatic transmission. The car also had red inner fender wells, not correct for the year, but a piece that might help it stand alone from others.

My local DMV options have been exhausted and I haven't had a resource for PA DMV that may be willing to check into whether the VIN# is there. Other options, social media, etc., have been exhausted and I'm feeling a bit disheartened.

The car supposedly went to Pennsylvania but has since disappeared and my attempt to track it down the last three, going on four years have been fruitless. I don't intend to relent. The "business" that bought it from us claims they don't keep records of their sales, which was their rationale for not being able to contact the new owners. I didn't ask for the new owner's information, just to forward my information and my reasoning for wanting to purchase the car. They came back with the aforementioned of not retaining records and "good luck."

Vin 3G87H2M121415

The car has immense sentimental value to me, even moreso that now that my husband has passed. However, I also understand that if the new owner doesn't want to sell it, I won't harass them. I'd just like to know if it stayed state side and to at least keep my information in case they wish to sell it in the future. I'll always find a way to purchase it when the time comes.

My Oldsmo stable is closed otherwise so a substitute won't be entertained.

Thanks so much.

The car was sold as it looks on the flatbed of the truck. The Crager's are an older picture (I "stole" them from him for my '70)

Last edited by 72-Wolf; October 10th, 2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old March 16th, 2023, 07:54 PM

I specialize in ‘72 Supremes and have tracked a whole lot of them over the past 30+ years. Was the car badged and striped like W-30 442 when sold? That may make spotting it a whole lot easier. I manage U Code and V Code group pages on Facebook. Shoot me a few pics at vette442 at hotmail dot com and I can spread the word there too.
Terry
Old March 19th, 2023, 06:19 PM
Squeaker

Originally Posted by vette442
I specialize in ‘72 Supremes and have tracked a whole lot of them over the past 30+ years. Was the car badged and striped like W-30 442 when sold? That may make spotting it a whole lot easier. I manage U Code and V Code group pages on Facebook. Shoot me a few pics at vette442 at hotmail dot com and I can spread the word there too.
Terry
Hi Terry,

Thank you for the reply! Somehow the VIN# got messed up in my post above, I'll try and break it apart. I'll also send it to you via email.

The car was badged and striped like a W-30. It was also missing the chrome trim on the ram air hood closest to the windshield. Passenger side door is also slightly off in color.

Fingers crossed that your resources might yield information.
Old October 10th, 2023, 11:15 AM
Squeaker

Found the car. Owner originally agreed to sell it to me for an agreed amount. After our call the guy changed his mind and wanted to trade one of the two cars I had left. I told him I was keeping one and had a buyer ready for the other. When I asked when he'd be available to make the deal, he dropped communication.

I later called to apologize as coming across a bit flaky, but it was coming up on the 4 year death anniversary and my excitement to get the '72 was immense. He quickly expressed, quite coldly, "I don't think you know what you want." Evidently searching for a car for 3.5 years wasn't clear enough in what I wanted. I'm guessing he was miffed I didn't want to trade either of the cars after he showed zero interest in a trade on our first phone call (which is why I lined up a buyer in less than 24 hours for one of my two)

Disappointed doesn't even begin to describe it, but it just wasn't in the cards for me.