Looking for 1978-1980 Cutlass Calais, T-Tops preferred

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2021, 07:48 AM

Looking for 1978-1980 Cutlass Calais, T-Tops preferred

My first car (in 1984) was a 1979 Cutlass Calais with T-Tops. My dad helped me get it. He was and still is a great guy who knew I would appreciate and take care of it, which I did until it was time to get married 10 years later. The car needed suspension, interior, etc. work by then, and I was still young and poor, so the car was let go for something newer and more efficient requiring less maintenance.

I've looked off and on for the last few years, and finally have some available cash. I've come across a couple decent hardtops, but as my first one had the T-Tops, I'm hoping to find another. A working Astro-Roof would be considered, too.

Running is not critical, as I plan to upgrade the engine and transmission to make it what I wish I could have had back then. A no rust, straight body with good interior but non-running car would be ideal, but I know that's a long shot.

Like most guys, I'd love a manual transmission, I know those are hard to find so auto or manual will work, but it must be floor shift, not column shift (hence the reason I specified Calais, but I know a few Supreme's were ordered with buckets.)

I am in Georgia, but don't mind travelling or shipping if I can get the right car at the right price.

Thanks.
Old January 7th, 2021, 07:55 AM

Always liked those. My first Olds was a '79 Supreme in 1987 and I had major jealousy after spotting my first Calais (I was more aware of them by that point) with buckets, full gauges and T-Tops.

There have been a couple nice Calais hardtops for sale on Facebook Olds pages in the past couple weeks but I don't think either has T-Tops. Good luck with your search.

Terry

Old January 7th, 2021, 08:06 AM

Thanks much. I am not a Facebook member. I decided I did not need that in my life and did not want to be counted among their members, so I left it.

If you or anyone else sees an add over there that might meet my criteria, I'd appreciate a link. I can usually open those and see things before the "JOIN NOW" window pops up. LOL
Old January 7th, 2021, 02:15 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... There are several 78-80 owners here on the site who may have or know of sources and be able to assist you and/or lead you in the right direction...
Old January 8th, 2021, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by dgmeadows
My first car (in 1984) was a 1979 Cutlass Calais with T-Tops. My dad helped me get it. He was and still is a great guy who knew I would appreciate and take care of it, which I did until it was time to get married 10 years later. The car needed suspension, interior, etc. work by then, and I was still young and poor, so the car was let go for something newer and more efficient requiring less maintenance.

I've looked off and on for the last few years, and finally have some available cash. I've come across a couple decent hardtops, but as my first one had the T-Tops, I'm hoping to find another. A working Astro-Roof would be considered, too.

Running is not critical, as I plan to upgrade the engine and transmission to make it what I wish I could have had back then. A no rust, straight body with good interior but non-running car would be ideal, but I know that's a long shot.

Like most guys, I'd love a manual transmission, I know those are hard to find so auto or manual will work, but it must be floor shift, not column shift (hence the reason I specified Calais, but I know a few Supreme's were ordered with buckets.)

I am in Georgia, but don't mind travelling or shipping if I can get the right car at the right price.

Thanks.
DG, I own a 1979 Calais with T-tops, 260 V8 Diesel and 5 speed.*{409 5speeds, @ 80 Diesels, Rarer w/T-tops too!} It's Caramel brown/tan cloth with @ 34k actual. *not mint, but complete & way above average. Good luck finding another one! Send me your # & I'll send photos, then we'll talk. Whips5spd.
Old February 9th, 2021, 04:48 AM

DG, my first REAL car was a 1979 Cutlass Calais, and I still have it (see my Photo Albums). I too bought it in 1984. This was/is the first car I bought that I had to make payments on. I will keep a lookout for you. If something pops up I'll be sure to get back to you . Have you thought about perhaps a 1979 Hurst Olds, they were made out of the Calais that year. There's one on E-Bay right now and it has T-Tops.
Old February 9th, 2021, 05:21 AM

Check out Craigslist Athens, GA and type in Oldsmobile as a search. One of the most eye popping Cutlass Calais for sale you will find. The only thing more eye popping is what the guy wants for it. The car looks to be in Texas
Old February 9th, 2021, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79
DG, my first REAL car was a 1979 Cutlass Calais, and I still have it (see my Photo Albums). I too bought it in 1984. This was/is the first car I bought that I had to make payments on. I will keep a lookout for you. If something pops up I'll be sure to get back to you . Have you thought about perhaps a 1979 Hurst Olds, they were made out of the Calais that year. There's one on E-Bay right now and it has T-Tops.
I'm not really looking for a Hurst, because I want to upgrade motor and transmission, which would theoretically reduce the value of a survivor Hurst. Plus, I'd rather have a more sleeper stock look than the flashy two tone and badging all over.

I appreciate you looking out for me. I have crossed the biggest hurdle - the wife is on board, so now I just have the find the car. A non-running but cosmetically sound unit would be ideal, but you rarely ever see those advertised. I guess most folks would rather let them sit and say "one day I will fix it up so I can sell it" rather than just sell it as a non-running car. The search continues.
Old February 9th, 2021, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79
Check out Craigslist Athens, GA and type in Oldsmobile as a search. One of the most eye popping Cutlass Calais for sale you will find. The only thing more eye popping is what the guy wants for it. The car looks to be in Texas
I actually have already seen that one in Texas on a nationwide Craigslist search a couple week ago. There are a few on Ebay and other web sites right now that have very optimistic pricing on them. I am finding prices of good condition survivor cars ACTUALLY sold are typically somewhat below the $10k mark, with a few pristine Hurst Olds going for higher.

I may eventually have to decide to forego the T-Tops. Really, my wife is fair skinned and living in Georgia requires air conditioning from March through October, and often during the winter months, too, so I wouldn't have the tops off much. My original had T-Tops, so sentimentally, I am hoping to find one with them.

Thanks again for helping me look. The most frustrating part is all the websites that apparently collect old ads and show them as if they are current. I have contacted a few to find the car was sold 3+ years ago and the seller had never heard of the website I found their ad on. Other ads, there is no contact info for the seller.
Old February 12th, 2021, 06:52 AM

Good Luck with your hunt I keep an eye out for one.. Here's mine

Old February 11th, 2024, 06:16 AM

3 years later update

I haven't been a very active member here, so thought I'd provide an update and closure. I found my car in April of 2021. A 1979 Cutlass Calais, dark carmine with carmine interior and T-tops. It was a 260 diesel, so a perfect candidate for drivetrain swap. I accumulated parts for several months, then handed it over to an old friend who has a custom shop in early 2022. They installed a GM 6.0 liter and 4L80 transmission, Holley TerminatorX ecu & fuel injection, BMR suspension, 8" rear out of an 84 Hurst Olds, SSBC disc brake upgrades, & 17" Year One Olds SS II repro wheels. A local bodyshop corrected some dents and dings and painted the hood & front fenders. I got the car back from the shop in September 2022. I have enjoyed the car and here and there done interior touch up work on faded panels, upgraded stereo to a 1.5 din using a late 80s OEM trim panel, added a 3rd brake light from a late 80s model, replaced T-top weatherstripping, replaced heater core, and working on carpet replacement this weekend.

Old February 11th, 2024, 06:20 AM

Lookin' good, I bet she scoots.
Old February 12th, 2024, 05:15 AM

Really, really nice job on this!. I surely hope you will be bringing it to the Nationals this year?
Old February 12th, 2024, 09:12 AM
Banned

Great job. Your car really looks good. 👍
Old February 13th, 2024, 10:33 AM

Hope to go to Nationals one year, but I had a conflict this past year. Many hobbies, two daughters, etc.