Wanted: 1975 Cutlass S "442"

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2020, 08:12 AM

Wanted: 1975 Cutlass S "442"

About 10 years ago I had to let go of my 75. For the last 5 years I have been looking across the internet for it, and I finally found it here on this website! I was able to contact the guy who posted it here, but he has since sold it to "some guy in Illinois." Wasn't able to get any info other than that...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums.../#&gid=1&pid=2

In a perfect world I would love to reunite with this specific car, but I am very interested in a similar vehicle if anyone has any leads.

Thanks!

PS. if anyone has any tips on how locate a car by VIN, please share. I've looked at a couple of "give us 20 bucks and we'll search your vin" sites, but I am skeptical...
Old November 16th, 2020, 01:05 PM

hey,
I think the best you can do, reliably, is locate the city/area it was last registered in (for example, auto check tells you mileage/registration history) and you could always use that as a starting point.

HTH,
Tom
Old November 16th, 2020, 04:15 PM

What area of Illinois?
Old April 15th, 2021, 10:51 AM

wasn't able to get that info out of the guy I tracked down. Not many 75's out there, so chances are if you've seen one in IL its the one I'm looking for...
Old August 1st, 2021, 07:20 PM

Red face 1975 Cutlass - Limited edition

I have the powder blue 2 door with white leather interior. It was my Dad's (so it really was "my father's Old" as the ad went). It is actually running and has been inspected annually. I even have the original maintenance book and I think I also have the window sticker. No rust because it's been year round garaged after going throught the expense of having it professionally repainted many years ago... 76 or 78K original miles.

Really sorry they stopped producing them - they were a great muscle car with a growling (yet refined) appeal. It was Dad's "mid-life crisis" purchase - when he offered to sell it to me almost 30 years ago, I bought it. Dad's now 88 and I'm in my 60's! Toying with the idea of selling, and if I do, I hope somebody like you that knows what magnificent automobiles these are would take care and enjoy "big blue" as Dad and I have.
Deb

Old August 1st, 2021, 08:37 PM
Oldsdruid

Deb-

Pictures please!🙂

Lot of folks said the 73-77 weren't real 442s. Maybe they didn't have the raw power of the earlier ones, but they were still the best handling of the GM performance cars, and arguably the best looking. There was a reason the Cutlass was the best selling car in America those years.
Old August 1st, 2021, 09:38 PM

Still has some work to be done here and there... after market speakers we cut in and a little repair on the driver's seat leather. Some yellowing of the leather and missing Cutlass logo (shown). She was my Dad's; now mine - guess that means two owners as Dad bought her new.
Deb
Old August 2nd, 2021, 04:38 AM
Oldsdruid

You have a Salon, which is a 442 in a business suit. Salons had the same handling package 442 and Hurst/Olds did.

The Cutlass script is available thru Fusick www.fusick.com and look for their Cutlass catalog. Upper door panels will have to come from a parts car which someone here may have.

There are also detail guys here who may have tricks to clean the seats. Depending where you are in NY you may have a Forum member close by.

Last edited by rocketraider; August 2nd, 2021 at 04:45 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2021, 09:03 PM

Thank you for the information - especially the Cutlass logo on the panel. That will take one item off my list quickly! I have the Cutlass insured through Hagerty in the amount of $14,500 - I'm very unsure if that is enough or not. It seems like (from this website anyway) that the numbers are all over the board. Because it's a family thing with this car, it really isn't replaceable and conversely, it's only worth what someone would pay for it.

Soooo... long way around the horn - is it over or under insured and where can I find a place to see a range of what she's worth without it having astronomically high and low values? I know, here's a newbie.
Deb
Old August 4th, 2021, 12:24 PM

I will be selling my 1975 Salon.
Blue with blue cloth bucket seats.
Rust free, but needs the vinyl top replaced, have it. and new gm side window trim,
350 olds, th350 Stock as it came from factory.
Original paint is tired, but buffs to a nice shine. runs good, drives great. have tons of parts for it. tune up parts, etc.
I got another vehicle and the deal with the wife was this one and my classic truck would move on to new homes.
And I'd move to one project/old classic vehicle. So when we move in a year or two we don't have 6+ vehicles to deal with.

Last edited by Grayghost; August 4th, 2021 at 12:29 PM.