Need recommendation on body bushing replacement

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2023, 03:40 AM

Need recommendation on body bushing replacement

My 71 Cutlass convertible has the original body bushings which are flat as a pancake in most spots. I'm swapping to a 68 Cutlass convertible frame from CA that was relatively rust free this May and want to get the best body bushing kit possible. I'm thinking I want rubber, but would prefer the hardest durometer rubber if there are any different kits that feature this. I thought all A-body's were the same but I'm seeing different part numbers for pontiac GTO convertible, but it says it won't fit my cutlass. So here I am to the Oldsmobile site--what works for my car? I'd love your recommendations please. TIA
Old February 15th, 2023, 05:09 AM

I don't know the differences between the 68 and 71 conv. frames. But I replaced mine on my 1971 convertible and just got the OEM style rubber kit. It did not come with the bushings for the core support, so had to get that in addition. I like how it rides and no squeaks, etc.
Old February 15th, 2023, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by PatL
I don't know the differences between the 68 and 71 conv. frames. But I replaced mine on my 1971 convertible and just got the OEM style rubber kit. It did not come with the bushings for the core support, so had to get that in addition. I like how it rides and no squeaks, etc.
And what is that OEM style source? I've got a note into inline tube to see if I can find what they have. I've read some bad things about the Restoparts kit. Re the frames, I've always read the frames were interchangable. I know that when I swapped to my restomod 350 TPI way back in 1990, I just had to move the frame mount around till I had the bolt holes lined up--they were pre-drilled for any GM A-body. In this case it was an oldsmobile frame, just a few years earlier but still in the 68-72 range.

Last edited by Goldhawg; February 15th, 2023 at 05:40 AM.
Old February 15th, 2023, 06:07 AM

I did it around 5 years ago, but what I recall was there is a difference between the hardtop and convertible bushing set (anyone correct me if that is bad memory). The OEM set was rubber with what they called the correct bolts, etc. I got them from Original Parts Group, but most of the vendors are not actually making them and probably just sourcing from one or two manufacturers. They fit fine and worked out. I would suspect though all the A bodies should work.
Old February 15th, 2023, 06:16 AM

Try these guys, they have good stuff. Call and ask about conv vs hdtp. Core support bushings sold separately.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18238252433...8AAOSwaB5Xk-tO

Inline sells them also.
Old February 15th, 2023, 06:11 PM

Don't the convertibles have an extra body mount around the firewall area? Or was something on the high-perf/big block models only?

Old February 16th, 2023, 02:57 AM

Here is some useful info from a pontiac forum member that I'll share here as well. I'm still waiting on inline tube to get back to me. Thorntons has said they have what I need, but they said there is no difference in the kits between convertibles and coupes (although all the other vendors seem to make a distinction, and the post below notes a small difference):

"Have been buying "68-72" GM A-body body bushing sets for the last 34 years. In the late '80's also tracked down & bought a bunch of NOS GM body bushings for my own cars. As far as reproduction body bushings, the best sets I've purchased til up to a few years ago were sets Performance Years put together in the early 90's. All of the "dummy" cushions (solid cushions) were GM & marked CHEVROLET around the perimeter. These dummy bushings were the same durometer of rubber as originals. During the '90's & early 00's pulled a TON of A-body partscars off their frames. Ended up with over 2 buckets of nice used dummy bushings & every once in while, a nice used upper cushion/lower cushion mount (there are different heights/designs). In the late 90's, two of my customers insisted in installation of pst poly bushings in their late '70's TransAms. Both properly installed sets made a lot of noise, ESP when right above idling & pulling into raised driveways. Ended up pulling both sets out & threw them on eBay.

In the early '00's installed a "rubber" set from Classic Industries in a '69 Chevelle convert I was doing a ton of work on. The bushings were run of the mill, generic, my customer ordered them, & in my opinion they were too rock hard. That style of '68-72 body bushing is what I've seen repeatedly for at least 15 years. A few years ago, a line of body bushings came out from "Resto Parts" the lower cushions on these all are extremely thin where they interlock into the upper cushion. A good friend & customer bought a hardtop set about 16 months ago. The box may say "Quality Reproductions since 1982" but in my opinion, compared to the best reproduction body bushings available today, the "Resto Parts" version are garbage. A bunch are sold because they are cheaper & many end up on corner cutting flip builds. About 3 years ago, I noted Inline Tube had come out with their own versions of '68-72 A-body bushings. Not only ones for Pontiac A-body's & '69-72 GrandPrixs but an Oldsmobile version for Cutlasses & 442's (they are diffrent). Since then I've bought a convertible set & quite a few loose upper & lower cushions of this style. Am about to order more, hoping Inline Tube has another big sale like last Christmas... Anyone know?

Anyway, the "Resto Parts" line, that I'm avoiding has part # SBO 615 Kit on the box.

The best repro '68-72 "convert" bushings are INL 12646 for '68-72 Pontiac A-body converts & wagons $139 a set normal retail. These can also be used under 2 door hardtops & 2 door Coupes that have been converted to having an inner front bolt in cushion instead of a dummy cushion. the high quality 2 door hardtop, Coupe, & GP set is INL 12645 $119 for 24 pieces. For factory style '68-72 mounting bolts, Inline Tube began offering a factory style flanged bolt in two different lengths. On '71's & 72's there are actually 3 different length bolts holding the upper cushion/lower cushion mounts in. The shortest goes in the position aft of the front seat belt retractors. the longest goes on the back corner. I still have nearly a 5 gallon bucket full of nice clean used original bolts from southwest partscars & will be replating more for upcoming projects. Last if you are restoring a '72 Pontiac A-body 2 door hardtop or 2 door Coupe, there is a good chance there are 3 dummy cushions, one after another on each side before you get to the back corner mounts. This was the case on the rustfree 4032 mile original '72 Lux LeMans hardtop that I'd used for some time as a mid year '72 Pontiac plant "example car". Finally processed it for parts in this last Sept, most of its original body bushings are in phenomenal shape & are being repurposed.
Old February 16th, 2023, 07:51 PM

Ended up getting the kit from inline tube--here are the items I purchased, for anyone's future reference:
Order summary

1966-72 Oldsmobile Cutlass Core Support Mounts, 2pc × 1$38.00
1968-72 Oldsmobile 1970-72 442 W-30 and 68-72 Station Wagon Body Mount Kit × 1$119.00
64-72 GM A-Body Body Mount Kit, 12 Bolts & 12 Washers × 1$51.00