The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Any HVAC techs in readerland??

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2023, 04:16 PM

Any HVAC techs in readerland??

We have a 8ish year old Lennox central air unit. The house has a heat pump with electric auxiliary heat. Occasionally, the A/C blow hot air, even though the outside compressor is running, and the internal blower. I have called for service a few times, since cars and homes have a sense of humor of course the problem never happens when the tech is there.

The air handler and ductwork is in the attic of a 2 story house, so when the fan kicks on without the A/C, it blows out VERY warm air.

I had the system checked last summer, the tech said everything was good. The condenser coils are clean, the filters are clean, when the system works it works great. It just always seems to blow warm air for a few seconds whenever I sit at my kitchen table (there is a register right over my shoulder) so it’s very noticeable.

Im almost positive the electric heat is t coming on, just to eliminate that possibility I’m going to trip the circuit breaker for the EM heat.

Just curious if there is something else I can check, or if anyone is familiar with this issue.
Old July 6th, 2023, 04:37 PM
Running On Empty

Had a similar issue w/ my Trane heat pump. Issue was the compressor - literally boiling refrigerant inside the compressor. $1,600 later and new compressor and the heat pump works better than ever - far less cycling, no struggling, immediate cold air delivery. Have the tech do a thorough job of evaluating the compressor. If they do change the compressor, ask them to perform complete bleeding (draw down) of the new compressor after they fill it - this helps enormously. A complete bleed may take one hour or could take 24 hours; but, a complete bleed (drawn down) is best.
Old July 6th, 2023, 04:46 PM
Running On Empty

I'll mention this. It's not 100% for diagnostics; but, put your hand on the compressor. If the compressor is scalding rip your face off hot - good chance the compressor is failing or has failed.
Old July 6th, 2023, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'll mention this. It's not 100% for diagnostics; but, put your hand on the compressor. If the compressor is scalding rip your face off hot - good chance the compressor is failing or has failed.
When you do this, put your hand on it and immediately take it away, as in, don't wait to feel hot. If it's that hot, you'll feel enough in your removed hand to know. If not, then you can put it on to see, but the first time, hover the hand to see if there's scorching air there (if so, that's enough), then touch and go.
Old July 6th, 2023, 07:01 PM
Running On Empty

John - That’s a good point. Thanks.
Old July 7th, 2023, 04:41 PM

I will PM you.