The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Unique car problems,down to one

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2023, 03:10 PM

Unique car problems,down to one

Yep, I only had one car that would operate, the rest were down with mechanical issues. The lone survivor was the 55 convertible. The Miata has a head gasket problem and may not get fixed, the Durango has a short in the battery and is dead in the water and won't start even with a jump. The Money Pit is holding up it's namesake and is in the shop running up a huge bill with intermittent speedometer and gas gauge issues that no one there can figure out at $150 an hour.
I was down to hauling my trash down to my garbage can in the 55, what a put down for the Mistress, Queen of the trash haulers, 987 points car, we both were embarrassed..

The plan is to jerk the battery out of the Miata and see if it is strong enough to get the Durango started and down the hill to a battery shop and get it going again. The Miata is on the waiting list for when I get rich or sell the BMW what ever comes first. The Mistress will be rewarded by taking me and my Lady to the Ice cream parlor for a banana split so not all is bad... Tedd
Old October 19th, 2023, 03:42 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd, that is tough luck. This old gal deserves better and you realize that. Round the other three up and get you one vehicle in their place. Maybe a decent pickup.
Old October 19th, 2023, 03:56 PM
Olds Fever

Sorry to hear of your vehicle issues... As previously mentioned maybe a new vehicle is in order... I recently had two of my vehicles with battery issues and one with an AC issue... So for my birthday I purchased a new 2023 Traverse with a 10 year 100K mile warranty... Any issues with this vehicle and the dealer can deal with them...

Old October 19th, 2023, 04:39 PM

Tedd, "Old school" reliability saves the day.
Old October 19th, 2023, 04:53 PM

Tedd, I feel your pain. I've got one dead project, one that needs a fuel pump, one that needs power steering, one that needs an alternator rebuild, one that needs clutch hydraulics and one that needs a tuneup and carb work. At least I learn things as I fix them.
Old October 19th, 2023, 05:25 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Jeez, and here I was feeling bad because my convertible was down for most of the summer with fuel pump issues. You guy seem to have me beat as the rest of my fleet is at least functional.

Sorry to hear about your problems, Tedd.
Old October 19th, 2023, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
The plan is to jerk the battery out of the Miata and see if it is strong enough to get the Durango started and down the hill to a battery shop and get it going again.
Hope you can get a battery for the Durango. When it rains it pours.
Old October 20th, 2023, 01:38 PM

Durango is up and running with a new battery, man it's been a while since I bought a large battery, last one was about $120 bucks, this one rang up to $196, kinda a shock. The Money Pit is still on hold, won't be free till Tuesday. Trying to find Bosh oxygen sensors for a 2.8 BMW is almost impossible and they are running almost three hundred bucks each when you can find them. I can find China made for under 50 bucks, but my mechanic won't put them in, says there are junk and don't last but a couple of months. He kinda has an OEM fetish, and gets all excited anytime he comes across a BMW logo.

I know it is silly but I haven't had a real car payment for a personal car since 91, not counting the ranch stuff. Doubtful I'll start now, I seam to get from pillar to post OK with a 65-year-old car, maybe by Tuesday I'll be a three car guy again... Tedd