Restore or Modify?

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2011, 06:38 PM

Restore or Modify?

My neighbor has offered to let me have his ’72 Cutlass S. She’s all original, 88k auto with bench seat and A/C and hasn’t been on the road since 1988. The body is straight (Rust in lower front fenders), the 350 engine cranks but the southwest sun has taken its toll on the interior and paint.
He says to pay him a fair price. So my first question is: what would be a fair price?
My tastes are leaning toward massaging the motor a little, ram hood, rear spoiler, bucket seats, kind of a 442 clone, but not. So, my second question: Is this a stupid idea? Would I be better off leaving her as original as possible?

Old August 31st, 2011, 06:47 PM

I would say $1,500-$2,500 would be fair. Make it how you want it, I am doing the same with mine, wing OAI hood etc. but if your a bone stock guy thats cool to. It looks like a pretty solid car, go over it good and if you don't find anything too funky I'd ****** it up. Theres my 2cents good luck
Old August 31st, 2011, 07:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well, that's a post car and you don't see too many of them around any more. It looks to be in actually really nice shape considering the age. Not driven since 88 might be an issue. See if the engine will turn over without using the starter. If it will you probably have a decent motor on your hands.

The rust issues are typical of that car. Plenty of Patch panels available to repair it. Back bumper has been hit. Check the bottom of the car for frame corrosion. Is this a 350 2bbl or 4bbl?

Pay special attention to the vinyl roof trim areas, and under the vinyl roof for rust. Also check the cowl area for rust bubbling and penetration.

From what I can see of the car, it looks to be in decent shape overall. I don't think I'd go 2500 on this though, probably somewhere up to 1500. The neighbor obviously doesn't want it because they offered to give it to you. Any money you give them is money in their pocket.

Either way you decide to go - clone or stock - there are tons of reproduction parts for these cars now. Go for what turns your crank and what you can afford to do!
Old August 31st, 2011, 08:54 PM

Check under the car for rust holes in the floor boards and also the trunk.
Old August 31st, 2011, 08:55 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would do the mods you are considering. It will probably be worth more modified than stock. I think $1200 would be my limit. I think $800-$900 is probably fair. You really don't know what you are facing with the engine and transmission. Keep us updated as to what happens.
Old September 1st, 2011, 06:46 AM
this is not my car lol

$1200 - $1500 would be fair

i'd modify the crap outta this thing!
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:01 AM

A thousand is a nice round number!! Post car? hell yeah! Build it the way you want it and have a great time with it. If you decide to take it apart, take TONS and TONS of pictures, bag and label every nut bolt and fastener. Ask me how I know.

tom
68 442 (coming back together, owner needs motivation)
70 F85 (postie of course)
95 Aurora
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:17 AM

The Old Cars Price Guide lists the average value of a '72 Cutlass S two-door post coupe in #5 condition (non-running but restorable and not just a parts car) at $1400. In running condition but needing full restoration, the average jumps to $2400. I would say that all the suggestions above in the low $1000's are very reasonable.
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:41 AM
Registered Thread Killer

Hey Pablo, Start stock then modify as you go. It's easier and it will get you on the road quicker. You'll also know where your money needs to go as you drive the car.

Good luck if you pick her up.
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:45 AM

around a grand and have fun with the car, keep the original parts and modify it to your liking. My advice don't go nuts right off the bat, the car will never be fast enough or corner well enough, enjoy it as a cruiser with some pep and enjoy the process.

Whenever I have modified a car for speed it was never fast enough
when I modified a car for autocross it never handled or braked well enough
now that I am restoring my 442 to original there is always one more part that needs to be found, repaired or replaced.

I have now finally really started to enjoy the journey.

again, buy it and enjoy it!!!!
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:50 AM

The book value of this car, right now, is kind of irrelivent. There's not too many people diving into restoration projects right now in todays economy. When its all done you will have thousands of dollars tied up in a car that will sell for half as much money as you have put into it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm just stating the facts. You would be better off to find a nicely done car and pick it up for pennys on the dollar from one of the many right now, who are struggling. If you decide to go forward with this project, offer them between $500 - $1000. Plan on replacing all the steel lines underneath, boiling out the gas tank, major tune-up, carb overhaul, new brakes, new tires and many more things I'm sure. Try to get the 350 running reliably, and enjoy this car as you rebuild it. Personaly, I would stuff a 455 in it. As far as a new ram air hood, or spoiler, those items would be last on my list of prioritys.
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the advice. I haven’t had a project car in a long time and I did look long and hard at buying somebody else’s finished car. There are quite a few bargains out there, but I just couldn’t. Most of the fun is in the journey, not the destination.
I’m glad it would not be stupid to modify. It’s just going to be a weekend cruiser, but my wants run a little more toward an aggressive look than a family daily driver. I would love to put a 455 in her, but I will probably rebuild the 350 and try to massage 300hp out it. Gas mileage isn’t all that important, but I’m hoping she’ll get into the double digits and be ultra reliable. I’m too old to be street racing
I’ve watched my neighbor over the last decade, who has the car, start her about once a month and move her up and down the driveway. She sounds pretty rough, but no blue smoke. I’m hoping a tune-up will solve a lot of that problem. It’s been in the southwest its entire life and the only rust holes I can find are on the front fenders, which seems pretty common. I will be stripping that vinyl top off as soon as I can and hopefully will not find any cancer there.
I may not be able start working on her until spring, but I will most certainly take pictures and post. I have a feeling that you guys are going to be invaluable
Old September 1st, 2011, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Modify!!!!!!! It's got good bones from the looks of it!

For what you will pay to get the 350 built, you can find a nice 455 out there!!

Listen to your wife - she doesn't want a grocery getter!!! LOL

And if you don't listen to your wife listen to the voices!
Old September 1st, 2011, 06:15 PM

Looks like a nice car. Nice to see another Cutlass S Sport Coupe (post coupe).

Get it and make it as you want it.
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:17 PM

What would I do ??
No matter WHAT you do, your wallet is going to bleed severely restoring this car.
For QUITE a few reasons.
#1. Pea Green interiors =
So the interior alone is going to cost a huge chunk to replace. Can't just do seats , they won't match.
#2. Stock Engine is weak in stock trim.
Assuming it's even running, if it's not, you have to rebuild or replace.
#3. Paint and Body....you don't even want to know.

I'd estimate $3,000-$5,000 for even a MAACO premium paint job with all the body work and vinyl top.
#4. Rims and Tires.....
You already know those things GOTTA go....

Me personally, I wouldn't buy it if you have the cash , buy one done.
Now is the time and prices are at all time lows. That's the CHEAPEST route right now.
You'll spend far more rebuilding that car up to good running and appearing condition.

That young 21 year old guy bought his black 1972 Cutlass for $6500.
He doesn't want it anymore, go make him an offer and he'll probably bite.

Just to show you something.....$11,000 this car sold for.
http://www.cars-on-line.com/51789.html

5 digit odometer = 88,000 showing
but could be 188,000, 288,000 and so on.

I'm glad to see so many MORE people have the same belief that when you
buy a car , you should make it exactly what YOU want. Hence why I made
my signature quite awhile back because of so many declaring "Factory or die" ideologies.

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 1st, 2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:53 PM

The lower fenders are an easy fix if you can cut and weld patch panels they are available cheap...

I doubt it would be worth it to restore it bone stock, but you could redo the interior in a more popular color or even keep it green cheap...

Lots of guys don't like the green so it's easy to find nice used green interior parts, my green 72 Supreme was way worse than that when I started

It is a great platform to start with and drive while you fix it up, hard to tell from the pics but Id start around $1000.00 offer and go from there...

Id also build an Olds motor for it and keep it it Olds powered

Last edited by Steve O; September 1st, 2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 05:25 AM

You'll probably have twice the amount of money in the car than it will be worth. Unless you have the time, money, and actually want to restore a car (idiots like me) buy one that's done. If you do want to restore one, chose one that has more potential value. The price to restore a base auto 350 car isn't much less than restoring a 4 speed, 442, 455, convertible.