Shocks -Heavy Duty or Standard

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2011, 06:18 AM

Shocks -Heavy Duty or Standard

I was just advised my shocks could use replacement, and was hoping for some consensus from all, on whether to go standard or heavy duty. I'm committed to sticking to Delco replacement shocks, but I'm not going to the expense of correct repro as this is my driver.

I'm leaning toward heavy duty shocks (and maybe heavy duty springs as well) and was wondering if ther's a major difference in the ride. Also, I've always been disappointed with how low the back of this car seems to be to the ground, and was wondering if going heavy duty rear shocks & springs might give me an inch or 2 of lift in the back. Air shocks are out of the question.

Many Thanks,

BlueCalais 79
Old June 19th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79
I'm committed to sticking to Delco replacement shocks...
Good Lord, why?

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79
I'm leaning toward heavy duty shocks (and maybe heavy duty springs as well) and was wondering if ther's a major difference in the ride. Also, I've always been disappointed with how low the back of this car seems to be to the ground, and was wondering if going heavy duty rear shocks & springs might give me an inch or 2 of lift in the back.
Depends on the ride you want.

The fact is that the type of ride desired and expected by buyers of new cars back in the '50's through the '70's was very different than what most people want and expect today - It was pillowy-soft and floating, with wallowing and tons of understeer in the turns (People who grew up driving 1930's and '40's-era cars did not take turns fast, and so never experienced problems with wallowing in these cars). Go watch a late-'60's / early '70's movie with car chases, like "Dirty Harry." You'll see those cars rolling and pitching through the turns like ships at sea, but that was normal and accepted at the time.
Most folks today like a "tighter" feeling with sharper response in turns, as you would expect from a BMW or Mercedes.

So, if you want and original-type ride, go with original-type shocks and springs.
If you want it a bit tighter, at the expense of being less "floaty," then go with heavy-duty springs and better shocks.

In my opinion, if you're going to the trouble of shopping for shocks, I would only consider KYB Gas-Adjust (cheaper and a bit rougher), Koni, or Bilstein (both about the same price, the Bilsteins a bit more "tight" and "sporty"). If that means waiting a few months to save up, it's well worth it, as you'll have the shocks for years (and the Bilsteins and Konis have lifetime guarantees).
Putting in a set of good shocks will make a tremendous difference, and you'll be glad you did it every minute that you are driving your car.

As far as bringing the rear end up - if the springs are sagging, then replace 'em. If you want it a bit higher than stock, use station wagon springs - that's what we always used to do, "back in the day."

- Eric