Removing bolt on Alternator

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2024, 10:01 AM

Removing bolt on Alternator

Howdy- I am having big trouble removing this bolt on the alternator from my 1984 Hurst Olds that has been sitting for years. Is the sleeve on the nut side threaded? Doesn't look like it. Have tried heating and beating. Any suggestions? Thanks Jackson

Old March 23rd, 2024, 10:21 AM
Administrator

The sleeve is not threaded, the bolt is probably bound up because of internal corrosion. Use a hammer and a block of wood, then a long drift punch. Add some penetrant before you start the beating process.
Old March 23rd, 2024, 10:34 AM

I believe you've run into a case of severe galvanic corrosion b/n the bolt and the ALTERNATOR CASE itself. Aluminum and Steel and add humidity and time and things can become severely stuck.

See my pic below....it's the same as yours but from a '85. See how that long bolt runs through the alternator case with NO GAP/NO SLEEVE. Apparently the steel sleeve you show in your pic is only for the hole in that associated aluminum bracket.

Another thing...you probably already saw this but it looks like the bolt head has rotated inside the hex pattern indent in the bracket.....not that it matters right now but an observation.

I had a Buick alternator from a '70 455 LeSabre or Electra...similar problem. Sat on a motor in a local salvage yard here and this setup also used an aluminum mounting bracket that the long lower bolt passed through on its way to the front of the cylinder head. Salvage owner tried to remove the bolt w/an impact wrench and other things w/lots of leverage....bolt would not come out.

I somehow ended up cutting the whole assembly off the front of the motor and then I had to bring it all home and start drilling and grinding away at the aluminum bracket. Galvanic corrosion wasn't going to let go, it seemed, no matter what I did (also tried lots of heat and penetrating oil). Saved the alternator but the bracket, of course, was destroyed.

Not that it's likely to help but have you tried putting a nut on the end of that bolt and then hitting the nut w/a hammer? Probably not enough force generated to do anything but figured I would ask.

Old March 23rd, 2024, 12:24 PM

Also - if the corrosion is b/n the shaft of the bolt and the large tab on the alternator front case half then unfortunately you'll end up destroying the alternator front half if you have to do what I did on the alum bracket on the Buick alt I mentioned.

Sort of goes without saying but you better try more and more heat, penetrating oil, etc to get that bolt loose.....my so-called "method" would be a last ditch method. The alternator case halves are likely also well stuck on the steel rotor/stator that's sandwiched b/n the two alum alt case halves....been there, done that.
Old March 23rd, 2024, 05:55 PM

Try to get the penetrant to seep down the bolt from the threaded end. Let it sit for a day or so and then try to turn the bolt both ways.

Another idea would be to put a socket over the hex head and a nut on the threaded end. Put it in a vise and apply pressure with the vise. Squeeze the end with the nut toward the socket. Attach a piece of wire to the alternator and the vise. If it suddenly breaks loose, it won't fall to the floor and damage anything.
Old March 23rd, 2024, 06:37 PM
72Cutlass S

Screw a nut down flush to the end of the bolt to keep from mushrooming the end of the threads. Saturate it as best as you can with penetrating oil. Support the alt mounting bracket on a vice so the bolt can move up and down freely. Then use an air hammer with a blunt ended punch and work the bolt back and forth in an effort to break up the rust between the sleeve and the bolt. Keep working it this way and it will give eventually.