General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1969 Door glass and regulator

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2024, 12:09 PM

1969 Door glass and regulator

Is there any info on how all the pieces go in the doors and 1/4 for the windows and regulators. I tore it apart years ago and am just now getting back to putting together.
I have all the manuals, but can not find any info. Am i just not seeing it somewhere?
Old May 4th, 2024, 12:21 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

By "all the manuals" tell us which ones you have?
Old May 4th, 2024, 06:26 PM

You need the fisher body manual. There are some detailed illustrations that show how everything goes together, and how to adjust the glass.
Old May 4th, 2024, 07:17 PM

I have the csm, fisher body manual and pim.
Old May 4th, 2024, 07:23 PM

I looked through the fisher body manual again as per matt69olds, and found it in the doors section. I guess I missed that. Thanks
Old May 5th, 2024, 12:29 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Look for the witness marks left by the original captive washers on the inner panels for the regulator and the stops. Install the fasteners in those locations.
This will get you in the ball park. Do this without the glass.Once you have found the ball park positions of the regulators etc, then install the glass and adjust away.

Hopefully you have the fasteners marked and or loosely installed on each assembly?? Most of the fasteners are specific to each location.

Tips:
1. Make sure the door fits the body exactly where you want it with the door seal and door bumpers installed. Then install the glass.
2. Install the roof rail seal and window sweeps before the windows.
3. To adjust, work in this order: Adjust the wing window and its glass run channel first (if so equipped). Then the door glass, then quarter glass.Quarter glass is always last.
4. New seals mean you should adjust the windows to fit and not let the rubber bully you. In other words the windows will be tight until the rubber sets in. You may have to crack the door open to roll the window up/down for a year. Dont be surprised if you have to adjust again down the road.
5. Have the front and rear seats out. Have all door cards (panels) off. The final adjustments will require little tweaks on all of it simultaneously.
6. Several commercial auto detail dressings/preservatives are on the market to apply to the new seals. Keeps them soft for years and gives the glass a little lube to assist with up/down..
7. Grease/Lube everything before and you assemble then again before the door cards go back on.
8. Don't expect this car to be water proof like today's cars are. At best you will have a little seepage and wind noise.
9. Any time the car sits after seal installation keep the windows rolled up.
Steve