General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Buy an electric car they said...

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2022, 10:37 AM

Old November 15th, 2022, 10:37 AM

I have the following concerns about BEVs (battery electric vehicles).
1. Reliability. (I expect this to improve, right now it is acceptable).
2. Range. (I expect this to improve, right now it is partially acceptable.)
3. Recharge time (I expect this to improve, right now it is acceptable for only some situations.)
4. Power source.
5. Control of travel.

I think reliability, range, and recharge time will improve as the tech improves. I lump spontaneous combustion into reliability. I do not care for the faux-environmentalist push for these cars when the energy used to make and operate them is the same amount of pollution as gas. It is fun seeing staunch anti-coal people all of a sudden support it in the name of electric vehicles. I also do not care for the control involved; right now, I can fire up a car that does not know where it is, and cannot be shut down remotely, and I can go pay cash for gasoline to fuel it. The request was made to Elon Musk to shut down, remotely, all Teslas in Russia as a sanction against them for the Ukrainian conflict. Leaving aside the question of whether that was appropriate, I think we all can agree that governments should not be able to regulate whether your car works for any reason.

I told a colleague that, if I were not a gear head and did not keep cars forever, that a PHEV would be the right car for me, as I could plug in when it suited me, and pour gas in it when I needed it.
Old November 15th, 2022, 12:11 PM
Banned

Amen Koda. I will never feel the need to own a car that someone else has control of. How many stories of Tesla's being sold used with a battery upgrade just to be knocked back down remotely by Tesla. Then Tesla wants people to pay up to keep the upgrade. No thank you.

I will say this though. Modern technology sure can shut down high speed chases...
New can of worms?
Old November 15th, 2022, 12:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Amen Koda. I will never feel the need to own a car that someone else has control of. How many stories of Tesla's being sold used with a battery upgrade just to be knocked back down remotely by Tesla. Then Tesla wants people to pay up to keep the upgrade. No thank you.

I will say this though. Modern technology sure can shut down high speed chases...
New can of worms?
I agree, but this has nothing to do with the car being an EV or not. All new cars have more computers and software than the Space Shuttle, and probably more potential failure modes and hacker back doors.
Old November 15th, 2022, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I have the following concerns about BEVs (battery electric vehicles).
1. Reliability. (I expect this to improve, right now it is acceptable).
2. Range. (I expect this to improve, right now it is partially acceptable.)
3. Recharge time (I expect this to improve, right now it is acceptable for only some situations.)
4. Power source.
5. Control of travel.

I think reliability, range, and recharge time will improve as the tech improves. I lump spontaneous combustion into reliability. I do not care for the faux-environmentalist push for these cars when the energy used to make and operate them is the same amount of pollution as gas. It is fun seeing staunch anti-coal people all of a sudden support it in the name of electric vehicles. I also do not care for the control involved; right now, I can fire up a car that does not know where it is, and cannot be shut down remotely, and I can go pay cash for gasoline to fuel it. The request was made to Elon Musk to shut down, remotely, all Teslas in Russia as a sanction against them for the Ukrainian conflict. Leaving aside the question of whether that was appropriate, I think we all can agree that governments should not be able to regulate whether your car works for any reason.

I told a colleague that, if I were not a gear head and did not keep cars forever, that a PHEV would be the right car for me, as I could plug in when it suited me, and pour gas in it when I needed it.
the shutting down or other shinannigans is a concern.

there was a guy who bought a used Tesla who continually had his charge capacity cut then eventually to the point he couldn’t drive it.

the previous owner owed money on the car and he couldn’t get that lean on it removed
Old November 15th, 2022, 03:55 PM

OBD III already has satellite updates and 2 way communications on ICE vehicles.
Old November 15th, 2022, 04:18 PM

You will be fine. Russia already threaten Musk. He is not going to cut off Tesla EV in Russia. It's always about the money! He not going to cut off his nose to spite his face. Even if he did buy Twitter for WAYYY too much. Big Brother is watching you already if you have a cell phone. Or a modern car.

Who is the idiot who buy a car with a lien on it. And not know or prepared to pay it off. Supercharging automatically comes off your CC.

Just got home from a long ride in that god awful EV. Great ride! Fast if I need it.

Many more automatic features than and other widely available car. Voice control. Steers, accelerate, and brake automatically within its lane. Lights and wipers fully automatic. Video and audio streaming are top notch. Loaded countless songs, albums and videos. So are their speakers. All-wheel drive. Low center of gravity. Great for the way I drive. No oil changes and maintenance a gas car would need. Sentry Mode allows you to monitor suspicious activities around your Tesla vehicle when it’s parked. Alerts me on my phone, can view what's going on. Let me see whoever's around the car. External speakers meant for the pedestrian warning sound. When backing up. Let me talk, very loudly to them. Also can play music at a panic. So much more!

Holds is value..

Bad, high cost to buy. Heavy car, tires wear faster. Long distance travel if you are in a hurry.

Work at home, did not need to charge all the time. Still cheaper to charge at home than buying gasoline ($2.89) to travel the same distance. Long trips on supercharges is just a little cheaper, if gas does not go crazy again. Other than Hybrids.

On longer tips we pick up lunch and sit in car at supercharger. And eat dinner at restaurant next to supercharger. Overnight normally free at hotels charger. We are 65, we have to stop just to use bathroom, some have chargers. Going about 850+ miles per day. No big deal for us.

Last edited by HighwayStar 442; November 15th, 2022 at 09:06 PM.
Old November 19th, 2022, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
I have once or twice said electric vehicles get tax breaks for the rich.
Supercharging has gotten faster after the last update. 29 miles to 300 miles in 30 minutes. At 32.cents a kilowatt. Its is cheaper at home at 14.1 cents a kilowatt now.

Not saving the world. Just like fast, great riding cars.

CO2 is not the source of global warming, the wobble of the rotation on the Earth's axis is. We are currently in a interglacial period of an ice age that began about 2.5 million years ago. The change in CO2 is not a leading causal indicator but a lagging effect in changes to global temperature no matter what the alarmists are telling you citing their models. Over the past 5000 years the atmospheric CO2 concentrations have fluctuated without burning of any fossil fuel and the fluctuations followed the rise and fall in global temperature caused by the flux in equilibrium between the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere and oceans. Warmer oceans during this period have released CO2 while cooler oceans absorb more CO2. Over the past 350 years of directly measuring temperature, our global temperature has had a consistent warming trend line proceeding towards a glacial minimum despite the doubling of CO2 concentrations since 1850 when we started burning fossil fuel. In fact, we were dangerously getting low in atmospheric CO2 concentrations in 1850 at 180ppm. At 150 ppm plant ecosystems begin to die off. You can thank phytoplankton, coral reefs, and shellfish for sequestering CO2 as CACO3 in their exoskeletons over the past 50 million years for the dramatic loss in the most vital food for the primary producers in the ecosystems on which we rely.​​
Old November 19th, 2022, 04:34 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by Donaldbabineau
CO2 is not the source of global warming...
Well then, why have the polar ice caps on Mars been melting if not for the proliferation of SUVs there?
Old November 19th, 2022, 05:08 PM

Wow! I am so glad we have world renown. Environmental engineers her on CO. To tell us what is really going on. I will never trust all the other environmental engineers That CO2 other air pollutants is causing climate change. Who would of guess they were all wrong! Thank you for cleaning that one up for us.
Old November 19th, 2022, 05:30 PM

Wow! I am so glad we have world renown. Environmental engineers her on CO. To tell us what is really going on. I will never trust all the other environmental engineers That CO2 other air pollutants is causing climate change. Who would of guess they were all wrong! Thank you for cleaning that one up for us.
Al Gore and his cadre we're very wrong about CO2 and the have made 100s of millions on their erroneous interpretation of the ice core, geologic and fossil evidence. How was there an ice age when the atmosphere had ten times times the CO2 concentration of today. I don't dispute there aren't pollutants associated with burning fossil fuel, but CO2 isn't one of them and treating it as such is just beginning to have dire consequences to humanity.
Old November 19th, 2022, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by vc455
well then, why have the polar ice caps on mars been melting if not for the proliferation of suvs there?
🤣
Old November 19th, 2022, 05:40 PM

I think one has to only go to Beijing, China. And China as a whole. To see what man can do to the environment.
Old November 19th, 2022, 05:59 PM
Gary

I think one has to only go to Beijing, China. And China as a whole. To see what man can do to the environment.
Absolutely! We must love and respect things of earth if we are to thrive as a race.

But conflating CO2 with pollution and thinking we can wish a 100% electric car fleet into being are not helpful for reaching this goal.
Old November 19th, 2022, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by VC455
Absolutely! We must love and respect things of earth if we are to thrive as a race.

But conflating CO2 with pollution and thinking we can wish a 100% electric car fleet into being are not helpful for reaching this goal.
Exactly. And allocating scarce resources to correct something for which we have no control over in favor of things which could actually make an improvement is a dangerous distraction.
Old November 19th, 2022, 06:17 PM

As an old f--k. I seen the changes of co2 from NYC. From the early 1960s to the 1980s. Effect to the environment to the Catskill mountains in upstate NY. How the warning moved from just outside the city. Slowly but steadily. To where I lived 90 miles away. For me its a life experience. You will never change my mind. I live it.
Old November 19th, 2022, 06:29 PM

There is no doubt our planet is getting warmer. And it will get cooler and warmer and cooler and warmer. And the species composition within the landscape will shift. Polar bears are the result of climate change. Likewise, we as human beings are the product of the ice age which began about 2.5 million years ago, may not likely survive when the planet goes back to temperatures outside of an ice age. Based on the longevity of previous ice ages, we won't have to worry about that for another 8 million years. In the meantime, we will need to ride out the fluctuation in temperature between the glacial and interglacial periods we will experience.
Old November 19th, 2022, 06:45 PM

There was a huge change to population and the amount of cars on the road today. I think it was 3 billion world in the 1960's 200 million in the USA. Today 8 billion people, it took me by surprise. 332 million in usa today.

In 1960 the USA had 61.6 million registered automobiles. Compare that to 128.3 million cars by 1995, and 253.6 million cars by 2012. . 284 million today.

Again tell me all the added millions burning oil. Almost 5 times more from the 1960s. Have nothing to with it. BS

I did not add, how many more in the world, how many more coal burners etc etc etc

Last edited by HighwayStar 442; November 19th, 2022 at 06:47 PM.
Old November 19th, 2022, 07:15 PM

There was a huge change to population and the amount of cars on the road today. I think it was 3 billion world in the 1960's 200 million in the USA. Today 8 billion people, it took me by surprise. 332 million in usa today.

In 1960 the USA had 61.6 million registered automobiles. Compare that to 128.3 million cars by 1995, and 253.6 million cars by 2012. . 284 million today.

Again tell me all the added millions burning oil. Almost 5 times more from the 1960s. Have nothing to with it. BS

I did not add, how many more in the world, how many more coal burners etc etc etc
Since the trend line in the increase in temperature over the past 350 years has not changed, not even after the start of the industrial revolution through to today, I would say there is no correlary evidence fossil fuel has caused our planet to warm. Even the climate change activists believe curbing our consumption of fossil fuels will have little effect.
Old November 19th, 2022, 07:19 PM

So what is the common factor between warming on Earth and warming on Mars?
Old November 19th, 2022, 07:25 PM

It is hard to understand how anyone could claim global warming is happening on Mars when we can’t even agree what’s happening on the planet we live on. Yet they do, and the alleged reasoning is this; if other planets are warming up, then there is some solar system-wide phenomena at work – and therefore that it isn’t human activity causing climate change here on Earth. BSC
Old November 19th, 2022, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
So what is the common factor between warming on Earth and warming on Mars?
There may not be one. During the Silurian, there was an ice age when the Earth had atmospheric concentrations of CO2 10 times what they are today. If CO2 was a significant greenhouse gas, this would never have occurred. As far as everything dying off from higher CO2 levels, consider this, the planet used to support terrestrial ecosystems with the carrying capacity to allow populations of 85-ton herbivores and 10-ton carnivores to thrive with these higher levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. There is no such ecosystem today because atmospheric carbon coupled with the energy of the sun is the engine of life.

Last edited by Donaldbabineau; November 19th, 2022 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Old November 19th, 2022, 07:42 PM

It is hard to understand how anyone could claim global warming is happening on Mars when we can’t even agree what’s happening on the planet we live on. Yet they do, and the alleged reasoning is this; if other planets are warming up, then there is some solar system-wide phenomena at work – and therefore that it isn’t human activity causing climate change here on Earth. BSC
I'll say it-It isn't human activity. I don't know about Mars, but it is well known that Earth wobbles on it's axis causing differential sunlight exposure to the Northern hemisphere which causes fluctuation in the Earth's temperature, and fluctuation in atmospheric CO2 levels have positively followed warming due to the higher ocean temperatures releasing CO2 to the atmosphere. If CO2 caused warming, we would see levels rise ahead of warming, not lagging behind it, but the evidence is just not there to support this notion.
Old November 19th, 2022, 07:46 PM

https://ugc.berkeley.edu/background-...in-tilt-orbit/
Old November 19th, 2022, 08:08 PM

The article assumes the Earth has somehow gotten warmer at a faster rate recently in stating the orbit and rotation of the Earth have an effect over long periods of time. On the contrary, over the past 350 years, the rate of change has remained constant despite the doubling of CO2 concentration from taking carbon out of the geologic pool and moving it to the atmospheric pool through burning fossil fuels over the past 150 years. Over the past 5000 years the Earth has warmed and cooled with CO2 levels following suit because of the cycles the article covers, and we are in the midst of these effects today.

Last edited by Donaldbabineau; November 19th, 2022 at 08:10 PM.