General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Car cover question

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2024, 05:08 AM
Mikeyt

Car cover question

I bought a relatively cheap, <150$, cover and notice some condensation on the car yesterday after the rain.
It is supposed to be breathable and water resistant but it is an inexpensive cover.

My concern is trapping that moisture under the cover when the afternoon sun beats down on it. It's mostly original paint with plenty of places for rust to start or worsen.

Anyone cover their car outdoors?
Any issues?
Working on at least a lean to to park her under to keep direct sun and rain off but until then will this cover be ok?

Thanks
Old May 3rd, 2024, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mikeyt
I bought a relatively cheap, <150$, cover and notice some condensation on the car yesterday after the rain.
It is supposed to be breathable and water resistant but it is an inexpensive cover.

My concern is trapping that moisture under the cover when the afternoon sun beats down on it. It's mostly original paint with plenty of places for rust to start or worsen.

Anyone cover their car outdoors?
Any issues?
Working on at least a lean to to park her under to keep direct sun and rain off but until then will this cover be ok?

Thanks
If you are going to leave your car outside you need to get a cover that is 100% water proof , not water resistant.. Yes I agree this will cause rust issues. I have a friend that covers his car outside but the cover is 100% water proof & breathable. He will still remove the cover once a week to let it breath & air out. He also tells me when he removes the cover it is dry.. good luck..

Last edited by zl1 camaro; May 3rd, 2024 at 06:53 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2024, 06:30 AM
Mikeyt

I figured as much. Thanks

I want to protect the interior from the sun more than anything so I guess I'll throw some blankets on the seats. Dash and doors need redone anyway.
Guess I need to speed up the lean to project