General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rag joint

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2024, 09:59 AM

Rag joint

Is it possible to install a new rag joint on a 1970 442 steering column 180 degrees off ? I know the rag joint only slides onto the steering box one way, but was wondering if the rag joint itself could be rotated 180 degrees on the steering shaft itself.
Old March 27th, 2024, 01:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

The factory rag joints use two different size bolts to prevent installing the shaft 180 out. I've found aftermarket rag joints often don't have this feature so you have to pay attention to clocking. On the assembly line, all parts from the steering box to the steering wheel center had positive clocking features that only allowed them to be installed one way.
Old March 27th, 2024, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The factory rag joints use two different size bolts to prevent installing the shaft 180 out. I've found aftermarket rag joints often don't have this feature so you have to pay attention to clocking. On the assembly line, all parts from the steering box to the steering wheel center had positive clocking features that only allowed them to be installed one way.
so my after market rag joint may be installed 180 off Maybe this explains why my steering wheel emblem is facing down not up ?
Old March 27th, 2024, 02:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Zr1bandit
so my after market rag joint may be installed 180 off Maybe this explains why my steering wheel emblem is facing down not up ?
That absolutely will
Old March 27th, 2024, 04:41 PM

Is your horn contact ring (the part the horn button presses/snaps on to) a replacement or an original?
Old March 27th, 2024, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
Is your horn contact ring (the part the horn button presses/snaps on to) a replacement or an original?

origainal
Old March 28th, 2024, 05:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

The important thing to pay attention to is the scribe mark on the end of the steering shaft. With the wheels straight ahead, the scribe mark needs to be at 12 o'clock.

Old March 28th, 2024, 05:54 AM

The important thing to pay attention to is the scribe mark on the end of the steering shaft. With the wheels straight ahead, the scribe mark needs to be at 12 o'clock.

having trouble seeing that scribe mark. Would the horn button being at 12 o’clock be the same ?
Old March 28th, 2024, 05:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Zr1bandit
having trouble seeing that scribe mark. Would the horn button being at 12 o’clock be the same ?
Look again. The scribe mark is there. The horn button may or may not be a reliable indicator. Look we've spent more time talking about this than it takes to fix it. If the wheel is 180 out, the only way for that to happen (assuming you have equal number of turns from side to side in the box) is that the rag joint clocking is wrong.
Old March 28th, 2024, 06:13 AM

Look again. The scribe mark is there. The horn button may or may not be a reliable indicator. Look we've spent more time talking about this than it takes to fix it. If the wheel is 180 out, the only way for that to happen (assuming you have equal number of turns from side to side in the box) is that the rag joint clocking is wrong.
Checking rag joint today, pretty sure that’s why I’m 180 like you said. appreciate all the info, thanks again 👍
Old March 28th, 2024, 06:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

The other thing to note is that with the wheels straight ahead, the bolt on the pinch clamp that holds the intermediate shaft to the splines on the column will have the nut pointed up to make it easy to tighten. The bolt has a square feature that fits into the clamp, so this only goes one way. Of course, if the clamp has been removed from the coupling housing and reinstalled incorrectly, that won't be a reliable indication either. The shaft in the column has a notch in the splines that this clamp bolt passes through, so the coupling only goes on the splines one way.

In this photo, the head of that clamp bolt should be down when slid over the splines.

Old March 28th, 2024, 09:42 AM

Thumbs up

The other thing to note is that with the wheels straight ahead, the bolt on the pinch clamp that holds the intermediate shaft to the splines on the column will have the nut pointed up to make it easy to tighten. The bolt has a square feature that fits into the clamp, so this only goes one way. Of course, if the clamp has been removed from the coupling housing and reinstalled incorrectly, that won't be a reliable indication either. The shaft in the column has a notch in the splines that this clamp bolt passes through, so the coupling only goes on the splines one way.

In this photo, the head of that clamp bolt should be down when slid over the splines.

fixed, my coupler was a little different than your pic, no nut on bolt that fastens coupler to steering box. mine has just the bolt that threads into to coupler. and my steering wheel was not fastened to hub correctly either. Rotated it to the proper spot now everything all lined up. Thanks again for the help
Old March 28th, 2024, 11:16 AM

ZR1 - FWIW (and possible future reference to this thread by others).....the pic Joe shows immediately above (of the clamp, nut and bolt on the UPPER swivel) is the end that connects to the splined shaft on the end of the STEERING COLUMN.

Your reply above (to that pic) indicates you think/thought this pic showed the end of the shaft that connects to the STEERING BOX.....it doesn't.
Old March 28th, 2024, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
ZR1 - FWIW (and possible future reference to this thread by others).....the pic Joe shows immediately above (of the clamp, nut and bolt on the UPPER swivel) is the end that connects to the splined shaft on the end of the STEERING COLUMN.

Your reply above (to that pic) indicates you think/thought this pic showed the end of the shaft that connects to the STEERING BOX.....it doesn't.

i see it now, my mistake. Thanks.