General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

So clean!!!! Some1 traded it in

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2010, 06:18 PM

So clean!!!! Some1 traded it in

i seen this car 2day in person its so so so clean!!! the guy said that some1 traded it in he didnt say how much they gave him but i bet it was super low!!!!! and now there askn 12!!!! rip offs and its a junky car lot!!!!!!!!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/1841151998.html
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:08 PM

Why is it a rip off?

If the car is as nice as you say , why is it a rip off? If you were the one at the right place and right time and you got a smokin deal and the guy who sold it accepted the deal, I would say sweeeeeet. We all dream of pickin a smokin deal and then flippin it for a profit. If I found a ________ at a yard sale for $20 and it was worth $500 bucks I sure would'nt sell it for $50 just cause I only paid a fraction of the value. I would sell it for what I felt I could get out of it. just sayin.... Buy low sell high the American way, It's called profit.
Old July 16th, 2010, 08:10 PM

i said rip off because they most likely told a old man/woman your car is only worth $500-1000 because of its age than they turn around and put a 12999 price tag on it!! in my eyes thats taking advantage and ripping some1 off!! it was a junk lot i didnt see any other 12999 cars!! its 1 thing if you knock on some1s door and offer some1 money for a car and they take it but if your a BUSINESS and you lie and say a car is worth a set price 2 a customer than up the price 20 times thats lieing, cheating, and ripping the customer off!! i dont know 4 sure how much they gave for a trade in but by the look of the junk lot it wasnt much!!

look what happen at the antique road show a few years ago they lied 2 hundreds of people about the value of there items bought them for cheap than resold them for big big profits, hundreds of people were ripped off because they trusted a business and the business LIED!! is that the american way too?? they had 2 pay back alot of money and got jail time

Last edited by sx455raidercelticfan; July 16th, 2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old July 17th, 2010, 05:29 AM

Hopefully the traders were to drive away with their pick of the lot.
Old July 17th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Past Administrator

I can relate to your aversion to used car salesmen. I kind of feel the same way, but hey, everybody has a mom that loves them.........I think.
Old July 17th, 2010, 06:39 AM

not that I would ever do it. .I have had crazy thoughts of taking the Jetstar to a dealer and see what they would offer me on trade in.. then say I will think about it and leave not to return..
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:32 AM

I don't know what it is about that car lot, but I have been there many times, and they always seem to have some nice old cars, in orignal shape. I think they search around for nice cars, not just got lucky.
Old July 19th, 2010, 06:29 AM

Everyone knows that used car salesman are no good. Haven't you ever seen the Kurt Russell movie Used Cars?
Old July 20th, 2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 442Harv
I don't know what it is about that car lot, but I have been there many times, and they always seem to have some nice old cars, in orignal shape. I think they search around for nice cars, not just got lucky.
My uncle has a 1972 Fleetwood Brougham and a 74 Eldorado Biaritz. A few years back (ok, maybe 5-10) when he was thinking of buying a new car he was asking at the dealer (new car dealer) what he'd give on trade in for the 2. Thinking he'd walk out with a nice brand new car for $0 or close to it, the salesman responded with something like $3k or $4k tops for the pair.
My uncle said, you know these are collectible cars right? And are easily worth that a piece in decent project condition, these are clean nice original cars. He says, well we wouldn't be able to sell them. We're doing you a favor taking something that old in.
Needless to say he left and never came back. He still has the cars and bought a new jeep, but I think he will be selling them privately soon.
Old July 21st, 2010, 08:00 AM

easy boys, I sell cars for a living. Profit is not a four letter word. Everything from milk to wood has mark up in it. nobody complains about their olds gaining value once they do some work to them right?
Old July 21st, 2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by highlander
easy boys, I sell cars for a living. Profit is not a four letter word. Everything from milk to wood has mark up in it. nobody complains about their olds gaining value once they do some work to them right?
You are correct, profit is not a four letter work but a six letter word. I for one have no problem with anybody making a profit. Buy low sell high is my aim.
Old July 21st, 2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
You are correct, profit is not a four letter work but a six letter word. I for one have no problem with anybody making a profit. Buy low sell high is my aim.

i believe that 2 buy low sell high if the item is bought on ebay, garage sales, the newpaper or craigslist!! BUT if a BUSINESS/CAR LOT lies 2 a customer about the value of there car 2 get it for cheap THAN THATS RIPPING THEM OFF!!!! THATS SCAMMING THEM!!! it is not ok 2 take advantage of a customer if your a business!!

AGAIN just like the antique road show they lied so they could buy the antiques low and sell high, they ended up in prison and paying back millions!!!

and 2 the car sales man yea we do major work 2 our cars and most the time it pushes the value up BUT all car lots do is shampoo the inside and wash and wax the out side!! thats nothing!!!!

Last edited by Olds64; July 22nd, 2010 at 05:42 AM. Reason: no cussing please
Old July 22nd, 2010, 05:43 AM

Please keep your posts civil gents.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:51 AM

we also put new brakes, tires, ect to make them road worthy and purchase ready for all the fine Consumers that want to haggle and take thousands of the price we ask. Oh ya we have to lay our money on the line and wait until we can find a customer to buy that car that they dont want to pay us what we have into the car. We usally make less than 1500 on a car deal. Not to mention that that same customer wants to come back 2 months later and have things fixed because they think we should be liable for any thing that goes wrong with it.
Consumers have the wrong idea that we rip people off. Do a hand full of SHADY B lot type dealers/wholesalers give us a bad name sure scamers are every where. Do bussiness at a Good place that has been around for a while and BUYER BEWARE.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:04 AM

I bought my 71 98 from a small car dealership in Moore, OK. I paid $1800. I'm usally of the opinion that dealerships mark up cars more than a personal owner, but for cars as old as ours you have to take what you can get. FWIW, I thought $1800 for my 71 98 was a good price. Sure, I might have gotten it cheaper; however, the final price of $1800 wasn't hateful. Plus the car ran great when I bought it.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 04:36 PM

im not saying all car lots are scammers!!! im saying any person/car lot THAT LIES 2 a customer about the value of there car 2 get it for cheap and sell it for high is A RIP OFF AND A SCAMMER!!! if a old man brings in a 66 cutlass with 44k miles in perfect condition and the lot says its worth 500-1000 because its 40+ years old than a week later they put a 12000 price tag on it THEY RIPPED HIM OFF AND THERE SCAMMERS!! and any1 who says thats not a scam IS NO GOOD JUST LIKE THE CAR LOT IS NO GOOD!!!

all my cars were bought with a dealers licence at a trade in auction ive been going 2 closed dealers auctions for 8 years and closed salvage auctions for 15 years!! my friend owns a recycle yard and a small car lot hes 100% honest!!!

i know all the tricks alot of SMALL car lots pull!! processing fees, commision for banks with higer intrest rates, taking advantge of 1st time buyers, women, young people, people of color, i know how much cars cost at the dealer auctions and i see how much they mark them up!! AGAIN not all car lots are scammers BUT ALOT OF THEM ARE!!!
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sx455raidercelticfan
im saying any person/car lot THAT LIES 2 a customer about the value of there car 2 get it for cheap and sell it for high is A RIP OFF AND A SCAMMER!!!
you just described every car lot in the world.

it's called the act of negotiation.

the person could have just got up and left,they had a choice.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:10 PM

[quote=agtw31;192436]you just described every car lot in the world.

it's called the act of negotiation.

the person could have just got up and left,they had a choice.[/quote

not every1 knows the value of a classic car business's are sosposed 2 be trust worthy professionals!! there not sosposed 2 lie and say your car is only worth 500 than sell it for 12000!!! AGAIN IF A BUSINESS LIES ABOUT THE VALUE OF SOME1s PROPERTY 2 BUY IT AND RESELL IT THATS SCAMMED THEM!!! THATS RIPPING THEM OFF!! THATS NOT NEGOTIATION!!! THATS LIEING!!! THATS CHEATING!!!!

AND NOT ALL CAR LOTS ARE LIKE THAT! there are honest people who sell cars!!!!! ive seen a honest cars sales man tell a customer youd be better off selling this car privately because we can only give so much on trade in!! ive also seen a honest car sales man/lot take a old ladys car and sell it on consignment because it was a classic, he could of offered a low value and scammed her but he didnt!!!

im done with this thread!! its clear by some of the comments that every1 has different values and morals!! some higher than others
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sx455raidercelticfan

not every1 knows the value of a classic car business's are sosposed 2 be trust worthy professionals!!
i completely understand what you're saying.

it is underhanded,but you can't blame a car lot for trying to make money.

look at it this way,the people are satisfied with the car they received,and the dealer made money.

everybody is happy.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:33 AM

And this whole thread was based on the assumption that grandpa and grandma got ripped off with no solid proof?
Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:27 AM

Never give a sucker an even break

Originally Posted by Nilsson
And this whole thread was based on the assumption that grandpa and grandma got ripped off with no solid proof?
YUP, but here's the real story. Gramps & Grams bought it it new, kept it in a cocoon for the last 46 years and were so naive, had no clue, had no friends, no family,no cable TV, never even spoke of the car as ashamed as he was, for being duped by that rascal salesman down at the Olds dealership back in the fall of 64.The few times Gramps putted the Olds down to the store or to church nobody ever made a comment to him about the car or made an offer to buy it.This convinced him that this car was totally worthless and someday he would exact his revenge.

He usually rode the bus to work so not too many eyes had seen this car. Gramps was so naive about life in general but he kept the car in pristine condition for all those years so it would be worth at least $500 bucks or so when it came time to trade it in. Then the moment presented it self, alas a Kia he had been searching for 6 months down at Honest Joe's Kar Korral, he made the trade offer and the guy bit, he now is the proud owner of a 07 Kia and that crooked dealer was left with an old clunker.Boy did he sure show that guy down at the Kar Korral a thing or two.

Last edited by a64olz; July 23rd, 2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 08:38 AM

Old July 23rd, 2010, 07:17 PM

This just reminded of the TV show "Pawn Stars". The shop guy always brings in an "expert" thats like, "This item is worth $2000-$3000." So then, the shop guy asks the customer how much they are asking for the item?

Every time the customer gets all excited and says, "$3,000".

And every time the shop guy says, "Nope. I'll give you $1300 for it."

Then the customer looks all mopey and says, "Okay."

LOL! I wager if every one knew the markup on everyday stuff that they buy, they would be appalled! But since they don't know, nobody cares. Ignorance is bliss.

But really the chance to make a profit is what our country has always been about.
Old July 25th, 2010, 07:38 AM

Let the buyer beware, do your homework. Andy