General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

There are still some good people in this world

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2024, 03:42 PM

There are still some good people in this world

So on my way out of Nags Head, I stopped at a local restaurant for a quick burger and a cold one. When I was finished, the server asked me if I needed anything else, and when I told him I was good, just bring the check, he told me the couple sitting at the table next to me took care of it....WOW!

Needless to say, I was taken aback, and I will pay it forward.

A great end to a great weekend
Old May 4th, 2024, 03:44 PM
Running On Empty

Awesome!
Old May 4th, 2024, 04:49 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Good post. Makes us all think about nice things we can do for others.
Old May 4th, 2024, 05:35 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

About a year ago, our son was playing at a BBQ place not too far from us. We got in line behind another couple. When we got to the register, the girl working told us the couple in front of us had taken care of our bill. Maybe they thought we were an old couple (we are) that was on a limited budget and they wanted to help out. I tend to think he somehow knew or suspected I was a veteran and showed his appreciation. There are lots of good folks in the world but they seldom make the news.
Old May 4th, 2024, 07:22 PM

The wife and I have paid it forward many times. When we see somebody that we think is deserving we will do it. It can be a family with little kids, a family who looks like they could use some help or a single person. Trust me,I'm not bragging either. I have had my food paid ahead before. It just gives you a feeling of doing something good for somebody. When I see a go fund me when a kid is needing help that really gets me and I don't give a lot but what I can afford. This is still a damn good country and I want to keep it that way.
Old May 5th, 2024, 06:41 AM

My wife and I had a meal paid for on our honeymoon. That was many years ago before I even joined the Army.
Old May 5th, 2024, 10:15 AM

I always thought the networks should start up a "Good News" broadcast.

Nice you had the great experience
Old May 5th, 2024, 10:17 AM

I was in the drive through at a Chicken Express to pick up a call in order. When I got to the pay window the cashier said the car in front had paid for my order. Do not know if it was because of my Navy veteran license plate or just plain generous. I always help out a vet any time I can.
Old May 5th, 2024, 10:28 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

A few years ago, my wife and I were on the way to the wedding of my son's stepdaughter We were going through the small town of Alvarado and I looked and saw flashing lights behind me. I told my wife I better get out of his way. When I pulled over, he pulled over behind me. I pulled out my license, concealed carry permit and insurance. He was very polite and asked me if I knew why he pulled me over and if I had a weapon in the car which I did. I said I guess I was speeding. He confirmed it. He went back to his car and ran my license and permit and came back to the car and asked if my shades were prescription since my license are restricted. After I confirmed they were he gave my stuff back to me and said have a good day and just slow it down. Now you have to realize I have Viet Nam Veteran license plates and an American Flag on the back window. He may have been a veteran himself but I know he appreciated veterans.
Old May 5th, 2024, 04:03 PM

The other day a friend and I walked into a restaurant just before closing. They gave us a nice meal and when we tried to pay, they said that the register had just been closed and the meal ($30) was on the house.

Luckily I had enough cash to leave at the table with a nice tip, but I am not used to this kind of thing! Great Barrington, Mass.
Old May 5th, 2024, 06:19 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by otto72
I always thought the networks should start up a "Good News" broadcast.

Nice you had the great experience
That's a great idea! AND WITHOUT ADS, unless they promoted a good cause too. Hell, I might start watching the NEWS again.
Old May 5th, 2024, 06:36 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Hell, I might start watching the NEWS again.
Let's not go overboard, now!
Old May 5th, 2024, 06:48 PM
Oldsdruid

A random and anonymous act of kindness is appropriate any time.
Old May 5th, 2024, 08:48 PM

The other day, girlfriend, my Old man and I were at one of our eateries that is rated as a good place to go, but a hard place to find a parking place, when at the end of the meal there was no charge. They said it had been taken care of, no explanation. Now the Old Man is 97, and they may have known him from the past, he hugs almost every server waiters in almost every place we eat in. Doubtful it was because of me, except there is a large picture of my 55 in the entry with 6 ladies which were all moms. The Place is named Moms. Otherwise, it was a mystery. The meal was excelant, as usual, the memory will last forever... Tedd