General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Use The Clutch ...

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2009, 04:28 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Use The Clutch ...

Do you ...

I have looked a lot of videos and every 4spd car has been shifted with the clutch ...

I always thought clutchless was quicker...
Old September 6th, 2009, 04:39 PM

I am a clutch man.
Old September 6th, 2009, 04:41 PM

are you talking about racing or just driving around?
Old September 6th, 2009, 04:46 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
are you talking about racing or just driving around?

Pretty much racing or testing ...

I go clutchless just driving around if the traffic warrants it ...
Old September 6th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by mugzilla
Pretty much racing or testing ...

I go clutchless just driving around if the traffic warrants it ...
just driving around i only use the clutch now and then. if i am going to race it i have to use the clutch or i will have to pick up all the pieces off the road. i am not great at using a manual when racing. in high school all the guys thought i was crazy for not using the clutch for normal driving. they all thought i was tearing it up. as long as you have good timing and feel it wont hurt a thing. now for racing on the other hand, it can't be good on it. it will hit the next gear before the teeth are meshed together all the way. good way to break gears. if you ever see someone grenade a 4 speed it will make you scared to do it.
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:00 PM

With the power on, the 6 million dollar man wouldn't be able to pull it out of gear until you let off the gas. You need the clutch to isolate the engine from the transmission and move the shift collar. Just think of how much power is traveling through the gear set. I've raced 4 speeds for 25 years and only this last summer was the first time down a race track with an automatic car. Unless there is some kind of tranny I don't know about, it is a myth. The way to get the best results is to floor the gas pedal, shift the gears and never let off. This will gain .05 to .1 seconds per shift.

Last edited by MN71W30; September 6th, 2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:57 PM

I missed a gear one time when I full on it. It made a noise I never want to hear again. I clutch. And I clutch carefully.
Old September 6th, 2009, 10:16 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by MN71W30
With the power on, the 6 million dollar man wouldn't be able to pull it out of gear until you let off the gas. You need the clutch to isolate the engine from the transmission and move the shift collar. Just think of how much power is traveling through the gear set. I've raced 4 speeds for 25 years and only this last summer was the first time down a race track with an automatic car. Unless there is some kind of tranny I don't know about, it is a myth. The way to get the best results is to floor the gas pedal, shift the gears and never let off. This will gain .05 to .1 seconds per shift.
Most of my machinery is medium hp at best ...

I 'll preset the shifter and when I let up off the gas it shifts smoothly.

I could see where this will slow you down as apposed to being full throttle all the time ...
Old September 6th, 2009, 11:11 PM

Talking Faster Foster

I too am a clutch earthling WOT feather the clutch
Old September 7th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Somebody explain to me what I am missing. It has been a long time since I have had a 4-speed, but why in the world would you not use a clutch when you are just driving around town? I am not trying to be a smartazz, I just don't see a good reason not to use the clutch. Help me out here.
Old September 7th, 2009, 06:50 AM

We used to do it in High school. Pull the shifter out of gear, watch the tach drop 1K and slide it into the next gear. I thought it was slower but what do I know.

It was kind of like turning off the key hit the gas and turn the key back on BOOOOOM The ole exploding muffler
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:20 AM

In a car...its showing off (mho). In a heavy truck its a mater of saving the clutch. Assuming you know what you are doing you can go well over100k without an adjustment, or drive line damage, but cars??? Used to do it in high school. Not anymore.
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I thought the cool thing was being able to keep the gas pedal to the floor while going through all the gears. I remember doing that in the 65 Gran Sport the dealership I worked for had. It wasn't an Olds but it sure was a sweet car. I do remember being able to double clutch my mom's 60 Chevy with a 3-speed into low gear which was not synchronized. You had to put it in neutral and rev the engine and then push the clutch in and drop it into low. It was totally by ear since there was no tach.
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Senior Moment Member

With a higher geared car you are shifting alot. I don't use the clutch about 50% of the time just out of laziness.
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I thought the cool thing was being able to keep the gas pedal to the floor while going through all the gears. I remember doing that in the 65 Gran Sport the dealership I worked for had. It wasn't an Olds but it sure was a sweet car. I do remember being able to double clutch my mom's 60 Chevy with a 3-speed into low gear which was not synchronized. You had to put it in neutral and rev the engine and then push the clutch in and drop it into low. It was totally by ear since there was no tach.

If you were a Formula 1 driver entering a curve, you would decel by putting you toe on the brakes and rolling your heel over onto the gas as you down shfited to get the right engine speed to match the gears. This allows you to slow down with the engine and be ready to shoot out of the curve you're slowing down for. Aint so easy w/ muscle cars pedals.
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:18 AM

Learned to drive on a 48 ford truck. Non syncro. It was eaiser to not use the clutch shifting up. Shifting down use the double clutch method. Haven't had a stick for a few years, will have to practice the different methods on the 48 with the 5 speed
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Learned to drive on a 48 ford truck. Non syncro. It was eaiser to not use the clutch shifting up. Shifting down use the double clutch method.
This is often how its done with the big iron. Did you ever get that email?
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Nope, never got the e-mail. Don't know why the pictures did not show up here as others could view them. Never had that happen before.
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:59 AM

I'll send it again??! I guess somebody does not want you seeing it. I wonder why.
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Sent. see if it worked this time.
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:03 AM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by csstrux
In a car...its showing off (mho). In a heavy truck its a mater of saving the clutch. Assuming you know what you are doing you can go well over100k without an adjustment, or drive line damage, but cars??? Used to do it in high school. Not anymore.

Originally Posted by citcapp
Learned to drive on a 48 ford truck. Non syncro. It was eaiser to not use the clutch shifting up. Shifting down use the double clutch method. Haven't had a stick for a few years, will have to practice the different methods on the 48 with the 5 speed
I used to drive a heavy duty rigs and learned on older non synchro units. I am showing off when I let off the gas, shift, stomp the pedal for a squirt of gas get a nice satisfying chirp ...
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:06 AM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
If you were a Formula 1 driver entering a curve, you would decel by putting you toe on the brakes and rolling your heel over onto the gas as you down shfited to get the right engine speed to match the gears. This allows you to slow down with the engine and be ready to shoot out of the curve you're slowing down for. Aint so easy w/ muscle cars pedals.
Go left side of foot /right side of foot . ...

Helps if you have triple e's ...
Old September 7th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
not so easy with muscle car pedals but easy with 4 wheeler controls

09-07-2009052234PM.jpg?t=1252358789

Last edited by jensenracing77; September 7th, 2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old September 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
not so easy with muscle car pedals but easy with 4 wheeler controls

I remove the auto adjust on back brakes and let them fade a little till they are just right ...
Old September 7th, 2009, 05:57 PM

If your using nitrous and have a micro switch on your gas pedal.......you better use the clutch or your going to hear things that you will never want to hear again.