General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Yes, this really happened

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2024, 08:17 PM

Yes, this really happened

So I drove my '72 Supreme to work today and on the way home, I heard what sounded like a branch bounce off the roof. Immediately after, I looked in the rear view and watched in disbelief as a piece of trim was blowing down the road behind me. I thought "no way...no freaking way!!" Sure enough, once I got home, I checked, and ALL of my windshield trim blew off while riding down the interstate. Cruising along at around 65, I figured there was no sense in turning around to go back and fetch it as it probably wasn't worth saving anyway.

So I just continued on home and once parked, I checked for any further damage. Luckily all was good.

And now here I am, needing to replace the lost pieces. Not wanting it to happen again, I need to formulate a plan to prevent a repeat occurrence. I blame the issue on the repop clips that I used when I had the top replaced,

Since it seems OEM clips are not available, I'm stuck with the repops. So are there any better than others, and do I trim the vinyl under the clips to allow the trim to sit lower, thus maybe preventing the wind from catching the trim from underneath and blowing it off again? Keep in mind that the trim was flush with the A pillars, so lowering the clips would also lower the trim, correct? Also, should I use some sort of adhesive to hold the trim to the clips, or perhaps "tweak" the clips so they get a better bite on the trim?....

Mind you, I drove it to an event a week ago, and to work two days before that, and no issues.

Just need some solid input...
Old March 17th, 2024, 12:50 AM
Running On Empty

Dave - Sorry this happened to you.
Old March 17th, 2024, 03:23 AM

My first guess would be the windshield is installed incorrectly. The issues with installers using urethane vs. old butyl tape is well documented..
Old March 17th, 2024, 03:44 AM

Damn! Thats crazy. How long has the trim been on?
Maybe one of the clips weren’t right and it was a chain reaction at speed.

Is the difference between butyl and urethane the thickness?
Old March 17th, 2024, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by 66_Jetstar
My first guess would be the windshield is installed incorrectly. The issues with installers using urethane vs. old butyl tape is well documented..
I had no issues before the top was replaced, and the windshield was not removed, just new clips were used. Again, that's why I'm thinking it was the clips.
Old March 17th, 2024, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rallye469

Before I had the top replaced, the trim was on for at least 5 years (and who knows how long before that)?

I just had the top replaced about two weeks ago, and this just happened. No issues until this, even when I drove it to above mentioned event and a prior trip to work...both being highway driving.
Old March 17th, 2024, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Dave - Sorry this happened to you.
Thanks Norm, but at least there was no other damage. I could have been dealing with paint scratches or cuts in the new vinyl, so I am thankful for that.
Old March 17th, 2024, 04:27 AM

Two different styles of clips, and which ones are factory correct?

Old March 17th, 2024, 04:44 AM

At a guess, I would say that at least one (or some) of the clips didn't fasten all of the way. You said that everything was fine until you replaced the vinyl roof. Maybe one of the clips caught in the vinyl and didn't seat properly and after 2 weeks it popped and started a chain reaction at speed with the other clips and just "zippered" right off.
Old March 17th, 2024, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by chip-powell
At a guess, I would say that at least one (or some) of the clips didn't fasten all of the way. You said that everything was fine until you replaced the vinyl roof. Maybe one of the clips caught in the vinyl and didn't seat properly and after 2 weeks it popped and started a chain reaction at speed with the other clips and just "zippered" right off.
Probably so. And here's another hypothesis...with the vinyl adding thickness to the a pillar, maybe the trim is supposed to be a little lower and not sit flush?
Old March 17th, 2024, 06:48 AM

Looks like the clips on the driver side pillar are missing. If they came off and that side came loose, then it just keep peeling off. I found when taking the off, once you get it loose,it does come off a lot easier, wants a couple come loose.
Old March 17th, 2024, 10:24 AM

Maybe you can get a set of good used ones from Scott Winn(oldspackrat) instead of using aftermarket.
Old March 17th, 2024, 10:40 AM
Bfg

The next thing to happen is gonna be the vinyl flying off.
Old March 17th, 2024, 11:08 AM

The original clips could/should have been reused. I wonder if the installer got a little porky removing the trim and bent the lip.
Old March 17th, 2024, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rallye469

Butyl tape has a thickness to it that compresses some. Urethane is basically caulking out of a tube. Butyl is a sealant, urethane is a glue and a sealant. The idea behind butyl is the windshield will sit on the butyl, the trim clips will push the glass in enough, and it will set up there. With urethane on modern applications, there is no trim. You lay the glass in place, don't mess with it, and it will set up. I could bore you all with bead geometry and patterns on urethane robots I have had to set up in the past, but, it basically is a pyramid cross section that squishes flat as it needs to, but has enough there to fill a void.

It's not necessarily that one is better than the other, but the car was designed for one, not the other, and a modern windshield shop will not give a rat's *** and probably be rude if you ask for butyl.

Ron Krier sells replacement glass and could probably help on install methods.
Old March 17th, 2024, 12:04 PM

That's a bummer.

I wouldn't use OE trim clips unless they're NOS. The ones holding the rear window in my 71 98 were rotten when I had the back glass removed and the car didn't have much rust.
Old March 17th, 2024, 12:49 PM

Made some progress today...I was short 3 clips so I'll need to order some more. Also have more trim on the way.

Old March 17th, 2024, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by 72455

Since there are several clips missing in various areas makes me suspect the installation of clips and trim.
Why are clips missing in the upper corner of the windshield and not the other ? Why are most of the clips missing on the drivers side "A" pillar and not the passenger side ?
I think there may be more than one issue involved.
Old March 17th, 2024, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Since there are several clips missing in various areas makes me suspect the installation of clips and trim.
Why are clips missing in the upper corner of the windshield and not the other ? Why are most of the clips missing on the drivers side "A" pillar and not the passenger side ?
I think there may be more than one issue involved.
The missing clips blew off with the trim. They were all there before. But, as pictured above, I'm using different clips this time.
Old March 17th, 2024, 02:23 PM

The missing clips blew off with the trim. They were all there before. But, as pictured above, I'm using different clips this time.
Wouldn't that tell you there were installation errors installing the clips ?
Old March 17th, 2024, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Wouldn't that tell you there were installation errors installing the clips ?
More like the wrong clips were used. I had the clips that I installed in the above pic, but didn't use them cuz I couldn't figure out how they went on (despite several inquiries here on the forum). So I just left the other ones and since the trim was staying put, I figured I was good, especially since I had driven it twice before with no issues.

After some further research, I finally figured out how to install the other clips, and I feel pretty good that they're gonna work.
Old March 21st, 2024, 12:42 PM

All done and nice n tight

Old March 22nd, 2024, 06:54 AM

Made some progress today...I was short 3 clips so I'll need to order some more. Also have more trim on the way.
vinyl behind the clips is fine but not under the clips,the clips need to snap into place and that vinyl can prevent that.
Old March 22nd, 2024, 02:50 PM

Lookin' good!

Did you ever go back and search for the trim that blew off? Even if it was mangled it would have made a good addition to a bin of treasures.
Old March 22nd, 2024, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Lookin' good!

Did you ever go back and search for the trim that blew off? Even if it was mangled it would have made a good addition to a bin of treasures.
I did...it was nowhere to be found 😕