General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Gas tank and strap rubber mats

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2024, 06:28 AM

Gas tank and strap rubber mats

How effective/necessary are the tank strap rubbers and rubber mat for the gas tank? Do they really work to keep down the squeaks and rubbing or is it just a gimmick? Getting ready ti install the tank and want to know if I should include that. Figuring on buying some 1/8" thick rubber sheets and cyt them to fit.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 06:59 AM

Why would they be a gimmick? Why would GM or any manufacturer install parts that do not do anything?

Of course they work. Any place where two pieces of metal might rub together, such as between the gas tank and the straps that hold it in place or between the gas tank and the underside of the car are locations where noise and wear can occur. The rubber prevents both.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 08:08 AM

Just asking because to my knowledge, they were not used on all vehicles....maybe I am wrong on that.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 09:41 AM
Bfg

There was not any installed in my 65 442.
Old April 4th, 2024, 08:00 AM

I doubt they were used in every car. It is a quieting thing more than anything else, so I would think they're more likely to be in cars that emphasize their quiet ride, like full-size cars. People buying 442s were not typically concerned with a quiet ride. Leaving them off was a way to keep the cost down.

I will say that I have removed gas tanks in three cars, all full-size Oldsmobiles ('67 Delta 88, '73 Delta 88, and 1978 Toronado). I'm pretty sure, in all three cases, that it was the first time the tanks had been removed from the car, and none had rubber insulation between the straps and the tank or the tank and the underside of the trunk. Maybe it was included in some cars for other reasons? Better fitment?

Last edited by jaunty75; April 4th, 2024 at 08:04 AM.
Old April 4th, 2024, 09:45 AM

I can only speak for '69 Cutlass and 442's. There should be a large rubber type 'mat' between the tank and trunk floor. You can see corners of the material on an original car. No insulation between the tank straps and tank. I've never tested the noise quality of car without the large mat installed but it seems pretty foolish to drop a tank and not reinstall this relatively cheap insurance.
Old April 4th, 2024, 11:35 AM

My 1970 Cutlass S had the mat on top and nothing on the straps, I am installing a new tank and I am putting rubber on top AND on the straps as I have an in tank fuel pump now. Hopefully it will help on transferred pump noise...
Old April 4th, 2024, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by rfpowerdude
My 1970 Cutlass S had the mat on top and nothing on the straps, I am installing a new tank and I am putting rubber on top AND on the straps as I have an in tank fuel pump now. Hopefully it will help on transferred pump noise...
What are you using for the rubber on the straps? I'd like to do the same but I'm not sure what to use.
Old April 4th, 2024, 01:03 PM

I bought 4 of these when I bought the tank and the pump and all of the mounting/install hardware.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/TNK-SL24

A little high for what they are, but they are convenient.