'72 Hurst/Olds Project

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2021, 10:43 AM

'72 Hurst/Olds Project

After owning this particular vehicle since 1993, it's about time I proceed with its restoration.
This will involve:
- Minor body work
- Likely repaint
- Detailing engine compartment / undercarriage
- Application of landau vinyl top
- Application of decals

I'm seeking help for the following:
- Resource for the vinyl top material. I'm aware there's a pattern of gold within the white background.
- Dimensioned layout of the correct positioning of the decals [gold stripes (especially hood and trunk), Indy Motor Spdwy Logo on front fenders, "Hurst/Olds" logo on rear quarters].
Thanks.

Old May 18th, 2021, 10:53 AM
Banned

Cool. I look forward to updates.
Old May 18th, 2021, 11:43 AM
Olds Fanatic

Very nice Tom, looking forward to your progress.
Old May 19th, 2021, 10:10 AM

Cool project, I'm sure if it turns out anything like your '69 H/O you restored it will be a fine job. Good luck on the top material as I think that is close to 'unobtainium'. I've always seen "The Ohio Chair Company" as a old reference resource but I believe they are long gone...
Old May 19th, 2021, 01:04 PM

As I gather from the 72 H/O group, the Ohio Chair Company was the nominal supplier, though others were used, according to Doc Watson. Original material fades out as it is not weather rated. I believe SMS has something close. The top on mine is bone white and I like it more that way.

Graphics seem to be these guys, I would think it would come with a template. https://www.phoenixgraphix.com/gm/1972ho.php. I don't think there was an assembly manual equivalent for the striping as it was probably one dude with one piece of paper.

Old May 21st, 2021, 11:48 AM

All, thanks for your comments/input.
Phoned Phoenix Graphix yesterday. Person who answered was very nice, but informed me they don't have the layout/template. I'll keep researching this.

Koda, thanks for the SMS reference.
-- Is the shape and location of the "band" at the front edge of the vinyl top the same for sunroof and non-sunroof cars? By "shape", from photos I have of sunroof cars, the center of the band curves forward as it passes over the roof.

Thanks.
Old May 21st, 2021, 06:56 PM

Maybe this can help.

As far as I know, the half vinyl landau style top is unaffected by the presence of the sunroof mechanism. Here are some random 72s.

Old May 22nd, 2021, 01:48 PM

Koda,
Thanks for the great/helpful photos. They confirm what I was thinking.
Thanks also for the dimensioned diagram/instructions for the side decals.
I found a local owner of a '72 H/O with original stripes. I'll be able to take measurements of his hood/trunk stripe applications. Thus, I believe I'll have what I need.
Old May 28th, 2021, 01:37 PM

Yesterday I visited a gentleman in Weatherford, TX who owns a convertible with original stripes.
I took my hood/trunk replacement stripes with me.
The owner was super patient and helped measure stripe positioning while I took photos of same.
I laid my replacement stripes on his hood/trunk stripes and they matched exactly in dimensions and shape (radius-ed corners, etc).
Was worth the drive to confirm noted aspects of the car.
Old June 18th, 2021, 02:31 PM

Red face Project Update

The H/O was towed to a nearby shop in Lewisville, TX May 13.
Their work included: starter rebuild, new plugs, battery, dist cap, rotor, ign wires, points/condenser, brake lines, fan clutch and thermostat.
Drove it "home" to its storage unit this past Monday. The car runs as before (some 9 yrs ago).
The key-in-ignition buzzer still works too. Red face
Awaiting new set of tires. Current tires understandably have flat spots. Very noticeable when driving.
I've been researching the vinyl top (material, color, etc.).
I remembered the gentleman I bought the car from gave me a box of small parts, including the triangular trim pieces for the back corners of the top. I hadn't seen it in 20+ yrs.
Found it yesterday, while going through boxes in the storage unit. Something else I found that I didn't realize I had: the original vinyl top. See attachments.
Per the close-up view, I'm thinking the gold along the left that had been concealed by a trim piece was the correct original color. The rest of the (faded) top looks like the white color on the right.
I have obtained vinyl swatches from SMS, as recommended by other CO & H/OCA members. Their gold swatch is very similar to the gold on the top.
Next steps include taking the car to the restoration (body/paint) shop and further work on getting the top right.

Old May 8th, 2022, 12:28 PM

The project is proceeding. My credit card is getting quite a workout as a result.
A couple days ago, the broadcast card was found under the carpeting in front of the passenger seat.

Last edited by Tom Bilse; May 8th, 2022 at 05:15 PM.
Old May 8th, 2022, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bilse
The project is proceeding. My credit card is getting quite a workout as a result.
A couple days ago, the broadcast card was found under the carpeting in front of the passenger seat.

Dang Tom, the car keeps offering up gifts. You have owned it for nearly 30 years, its like getting re-acquainted all over again.
Old May 14th, 2022, 10:10 AM

Another welcome recent discovery: original rivet holes for the top/front and bottom vinyl roof trim pieces.
(Apologies for requesting measurements, etc. from CO members).
If the project continues to progress as it has, the top should go on in a couple weeks.

Old May 14th, 2022, 10:25 AM

Looking for input and/or opinion(s) on the following:
Were all 72 H/O's produced with the "OFFICIAL PACE CAR, etc." lettering decals on the doors? I believe I've read where the lettering was an option(?), but not certain of this.
Long story short, to lend authenticity to the car and to enable viewers of the car to understand what it is, I'm leaning toward having the lettering added (if I can find it).

Old May 14th, 2022, 07:50 PM

Tom, this is from a post of mine on the facebook group 72 Hurst Olds

Let's talk decals for a bit (not stripes.)
I have seen cars in 4 combinations (4 pictures attached in order as examples.)
  1. Nothing. (Factory default)
  2. Indy "Flying Tire" and the Hurst / Olds Logo. (Incorrect)
  3. Indy "Flying Tire" and the Hurst / Olds Logo and the 500 Door Text. (With Decal Package)
  4. Indy "Flying Tire" and the Hurst / Olds Logo and the 500 Door Text and the 500 Festival Round Decal. (With decal package and originally supposed to have been at the Indy 500.)
I think #1 was not a factory available option; I think, at minimum, you got #2. I think all cars had the option to get #3, and I have heard that only the convertibles that had actually been at the 500 should get #4, but I could be way off base here, and it's personal preference to some extent.
My car is in #3, I like the door text, and I don't mind not having the round festival decals.
Could people share light on what are the correct options?

Edit: Posted correct info above in parenthesis. It seems that a lot more cars have the festival round badge than originally should, for which I am not going to fault them.

Upshot of all this is these are the correct options: Stripes only, Everything (stripes, IMS "Wing and Wheel" Logo, door text, large quarter panel "H/O" and Festival round badge), and everything except the festival badge. The second picture with the parking lights on is an incorrect decal layout. (It has just the stripes, the H/O, and the Wing and Wheel flying tire.)
Old May 15th, 2022, 02:19 PM

Koda,
Thanks for your prompt reply and detailed explanation. VERY helpful.
I've got the stripes, H/O logo and Wheel/Wing logo. I've decided to add the door text, assuming I can find it. Will be checking Phoenix Graphix.
Old May 19th, 2022, 01:16 PM

Epoxy primer/sealer:

Paint:

Old June 1st, 2022, 10:10 AM

The H/O was started/driven last Friday (May 27) for the first time since being delivered to the restorer April 2.
I heard/observed it running yesterday when it was loaded/trailered to the vinyl roof installer (picture). Sounded great (like its old self).
The door/quarter panel hasn't been wet-sanded yet, explaining the difference in appearance between them and the front fender.

Old June 1st, 2022, 12:04 PM

Looking good!
Old June 4th, 2022, 01:54 PM

Vinyl top installation was completed over the past couple days. Thankfully I remembered to request padding before the work began. I'm happy with the results.
Having been accustomed to having no top on the car since I've owned it, the new top changes its personality a bit.
The H/O was trailered back to the restoration shop today.

Old June 14th, 2022, 01:41 PM

The project is moving along. The undercarriage (except exhaust) and engine compartment are detailed. Will try to post photos of these soon.
In the meantime, the OD transmission tag and stamping on the engine and transmission were found per the attached. Couldn't quite get all of the stamping on the engine pad.
Last 6 digits of VIN is 207915.

Old June 14th, 2022, 02:20 PM

Numbers matching!
Old June 15th, 2022, 06:38 PM

As always, Very Nice Tom. I’m glad that you are able to keep your days occupied with a healthy and productive passion. I’m very much looking forward to seeing this car again! Your collection is a great representation of your personality. (Perhaps a closeted extrovert, which I can identify with) 😅. Thank you for sharing your progress
Old June 16th, 2022, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
As always, Very Nice Tom. I’m glad that you are able to keep your days occupied with a healthy and productive passion. I’m very much looking forward to seeing this car again! Your collection is a great representation of your personality. (Perhaps a closeted extrovert, which I can identify with) 😅. Thank you for sharing your progress
Thanks for your kind comments and encouragement.
Interestingly, my sweet wife Carole passed away 5 years ago (June 24). I retired just two months prior.
I hate being idle. The car projects have definitely provided an opportunity to fill my days.
The ‘72 H/O was our wedding car.
Not long before she passed away she encouraged me to finish the car restorations. She was primarily referring to the ‘68 442, but have believed she would like the others to be done also. I’ve thankfully had a ton of help from CO members to get this done.
Attending the 2019 H/OCA National with the ‘69 H/O was a highlight for me. Hoping to attend the meet in Lansing next month with the ‘72.
Old June 16th, 2022, 05:29 PM
Banned

Good for you. The car is looking great. Great attention to the right things. Glad to see a car in great hands. You are giving that car great love.

Sorry to hear your wife's passing. One of the toughest things to go thru ever. I lost my girl in 2009 in a freak car accident. Knocked me to my knees like nothing else. Prayers and thoughts your way.

The car is looking just great. Way to stick with it. Plenty of people buy their way into classic cars. People that take steps and actually love the car and the game are one hundred times more respected by me.
Old June 23rd, 2022, 11:27 AM

The car's personality continues to change (or, should I say, return to its original appearance).
I've had the stripe kit almost as long as I've had the car. The pieces had been rolled up and were migrated from closet to closet () over the years.
Prior to the start of the project I unrolled and placed the stripes on a flat surface with waxed paper over the top.
The "H/O" quarter panel decals didn't work well, likely due to age. A new pair have been ordered.
I secured the stacked stripe pieces between two full length insulated foam pads when I delivered them to the restoration shop. This worked out to be a lightweight/effective method of protection/delivery.
They worked well, as the front graphic film separated from the back release liner with relative ease.
I purchased the door lettering decals from Phoenix Graphix. These were applied with no problem also.
"Dreft" baby detergent mixed with water was used to "float" mostly all the graphics into position. This worked well too.

Last edited by Tom Bilse; June 27th, 2022 at 06:27 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2022, 11:48 AM

I elected to keep the original "vehicle safety" label on the back of the driver's side door rather than replace it, despite its rough appearance.
The date/VIN on the label are correct for the car.

Old June 23rd, 2022, 03:32 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tom, you are coming up with a stable of really nice cars. This car looks great. I think you only have one left after this one. I see you having another car in Autorama next year.
Old July 1st, 2022, 02:54 PM

Found a few more original items in the glove compartment late last week, including a 2nd broadcast card.
A couple items show the was delivered to the original customer 04/22/72.
The Protect-O-Plate photo includes the envelope it was mailed in to the customer.

Old July 1st, 2022, 03:04 PM

A few more pictures including the finished undercarriage and engine bay, and a full view of the VIN stamp on the engine pad. The first three "32M" digits barely legible.
The full stamp is "32M207915", per an earlier post.

Old July 1st, 2022, 04:09 PM

Wow Tom, was this block under water or just neglected?
Old July 2nd, 2022, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by edzolz
Wow Tom, was this block under water or just neglected?
Maybe a combination of the flash being on and the camera too close .
Photo was taken a couple weeks ago, a few weeks after the block was painted.
Old July 2nd, 2022, 09:02 AM

Exterior photos taken late yesterday: