Dye Door Pull Straps

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2021, 03:30 PM

Dye Door Pull Straps

I acquired a set of red door pull straps from a 78 Toronado to replace the beat up blue one's on my 77 Toronado. I know they fit and they are bigger and beefier than the 77 units and I quite like them.
I know that I can paint the vinyl back side to reasonably match the existing blue interior. The issue is can I dye the cloth/carpet insert from red to blue to match the existing interior and if so what product is recommended to do this.
Really don't want to take them to a trim shop and spend big bucks to get them recovered. Would appreciate any suggestions.
Old April 5th, 2021, 05:21 AM
72 Olds CS

The SEM vinyl dye paint works well, its availible in many colors or some places will custom mix it for you.

ive used black to change from green on the pass side seat of my car, its been several years it still looks good w no cracking or peeling. You would never know it was once green.

i used it in the past to change green to blue...also worked well. Good prep goes a long way.

I also used the carpet dye spray can (maybe duplicolor) from advance auto to freshen the carpet at the bottom of my door panel. The black had faded to a brownish color. The dye made it nice an black again. It looks great, but it does have a coarse feel to it. The feel is a non issue, but if its a carpeted part that is touched frequently it might be something.

iirc the carpet dye also said vinyl dye, but ive only ever used SEM for vinyl (and plastic bits too).

Last edited by RetroRanger; April 5th, 2021 at 05:25 AM.
Old April 5th, 2021, 09:39 AM

Go with SEM, I've used their products extensively, they are very high quality.