Steering wheel restoration......tense times

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2008, 07:04 AM

Steering wheel restoration......tense times

Well, I finally sent my steering wheel to be restored. I would have tackled the task myself but it had a couple pretty good seperations and I wanted it to be correct when finished so I opt'd for a professional.

I will be on pins and needles until it is back in my hands. I don't have any concerns with the people doing the restoration but if the USPS looses it or it is otherwise damaged beyond repair while in transit, I will be REALLY upset!!!

I can get other steering wheel that will work as a steering wheel but getting the right color for my car would be a real problem.

I'm looking at 6-8 weeks of sleepless nights! Where's that Valium??????
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Past Administrator

Post us a pic when it is done!
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:08 AM

Don't sweat it. It will be back in your hands before you know it. Just make sure you stay in touch with the person restoring it and make sure they get it. Then make sure you know when it is on its way back to you. Let us know how it turns out.
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:09 PM

leather wrap steering wheel.

Speaking of steering wheel restorations, i have a Hurst steering wheel from an 83 or 84 , and the leather is torn and cracked, is there a kit out there for the do it yourselfers?
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:21 PM

Where did you send it to be restored, I am looking to have mine done.
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:26 PM

me too..

Am very interested in getting my 67 steering wheel restored!! PLEASE follow up with particulars on company restoring yours and let us know if job is well done. Good luck....
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:43 AM

For the leather kit, check www.wheelskins.com
Restoring the plastic wheels seems to be very expensive. Let us know how yours goes.
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:28 PM

I've heard Koch's is the best...don't know price though.

But I have a 65 wood simulated wheel in desperate need...
Old May 25th, 2008, 04:37 PM

This is the place I am using.

http://www.garyssteeringwheel.com/gallery.htm

It's not cheap but I wanted it to look correct and he has some very impressive examples of his work on his web page. I do wish it didn't take so long, though. He's had it about 8
weeks now and I don't think he started on it until about 4 weeks ago. That means I have at least 2 more weeks to go if not more.

ON a brighter note, I passed the time while waiting for this steerining wheel to upgrade my radio to AM/Fm and replace the speaker which has gone south on me. That was a real job. I really hate crawling up under that dash. Sure glad it's done adn the new radio and speaker are working great!!!!
Old June 21st, 2008, 10:37 AM

It has arrived!

I got the steering wheel back yesterday. Looks great. Pictures attached!!!

These are the BEFORE pic's:

Cutlass parts 002.jpg

Cutlass parts 003.jpg

The AFTER pic's:

steering wheel 003.jpg

steering wheel 004.jpg

It looks like it did when it was new!

Price was a little steep but it is paid for now and I sure could not have done this job as good myself so all is well. Notice that he replaced the chrome stripe around the wheel also.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
For the leather kit, check www.wheelskins.com
Restoring the plastic wheels seems to be very expensive. Let us know how yours goes.
I'm also looking at a replacement of the leather cover on a steering wheel that I have (91 Silhouette, to be installed in my Custom Cruiser). I don't want the Wheelskins cover, which to me looks like an expensive version of the vinyl covers sold at Pep Boys. I want to replace the factory-style leather. I can get the material. My question is, how do you stretch the cover to conform to the finger grips and general shape of the wheel? I have found several high dollar vendors who recover wheels for Porsches and Mercedes. I'm looking for info on how to do it myself.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Past Administrator

I bet they apply the leather cover while it is wet and allow it to shrink over the molded wheel. But wet with what? I don't know, and how do they sew it? Another mystery. If you discover how they do this, let us know too.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:50 PM

New'n72 - The wheel looks Great! So... tell us... How Much?

Joe, you might want to start another thread on this. Sounds like a cool project. Might take some trial & error to get the results you want. Not sure you'll find much info for DYI.

I'd start by mounting / bolting the wheel to a bench somehow. Dan's idea to wet the leather sounds right to me, I'd use water. You could test the leather you have. You'll have to decide how the leather will cross the spokes of the wheel. Either fold the edge under or hem the area with a sewing machine. If you just fold it under you could glue & press it for a neat appearance. Come to think of it gluing the leather where it crosses the spokes and around the perimeter might not be a bad idea. Back to molding the leather. I think I'd start by sewing a band of leather about 1/2" to 1" smaller than the diameter of the wheel and about 3" to 4" wide. Soak the band then stretch it over the wheel and center it. Pull the leather around the wheel and clamp it on the inside. I'm thinking use those little cheap spring clamps from harbor freight. Get it as tight as you can, keep the clamp joint centered, then let it dry. Or maybe apply a little heat. (You do still have your blow dryer from the 80's don't you?) Let it dry overnight or two days. Before you remove the clamps use sharpened chalk to mark were your seams will be. And mark where the edge of the leather will be as it crosses the spokes. Hummm..... Now I'm out of ideas! I was thinking: Take the leather off the wheel to trim & fold the seams under. But that won't work, the leather is shrunk and molded to the wheel. Maybe work one area at a time? Gotta think on this some more.

Don
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:54 PM

I should have said; "I've never done this before" I was just typing out loud!
Old June 24th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Past Administrator

Don, you idea is good only maybe a person should sew the seams while it is wet on the wheel, by hand of course. I remember when you could buy steering wheel covers in real leather and stitch them on using a nylon type of thread. Only thing is they would go on dry. No reason why one couldn't do it wet.
Old June 24th, 2008, 05:54 AM

The restored steery wheel looks great! Your interior is the same color as mine!
I assume the job was in the $400 range. I heard it was around that. However if you are happy with the results after spending that much, they MUST have done a great job!

The wheel in my '86 is in bad shape and it is nice to know they can be repaired. Maybe I should doo it soon.
The one in my 72 is not too bad for its age - it looks like your after pic!
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:04 AM

Lady72nRob71

Thanks for the compliments. It does look great. Price was $550 plus shipping. I was hoping for something in the $490 range but it was not to be.

Something I found out while talking with the people that did the restoration; They can paint and clear coat any color wheel to match your needs. My wheel was originally this color but they apparently painted it and clear coated it to make the repairs invisible as opposed to making the patching material match the original steering wheel material.

The reason I am telling you this is, that I have a black '72 steering wheel that I picked up off of Ebay for under $20 dollars and it is not cracked or otherwise in need of massive repair. I could probably have this black wheel painted and clear coated for a lot less than what it took to patch my original wheel in 3 places and paint.

You might consider doing this with your '86? I'm sure it would be a lot cheaper.
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:45 AM

Hmmm... That is a good idea.
I will have to be on the lookout for another wheel for the '86. I just hope I can find a one that isn't cracked already... I guess the plastic of these was of not the best quality and it shrank from the sun and heat. It was pretty cracked just after 3 years and 27K miles!
My old Ford has its original black wheel and is almost perfect condition, even after 30 years and 150K+ miles!
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Registered

Wheel looks good, I was wondering how they did the chrome strip? Mine is in perfect shape except for that strip and the wheel is slightly green from age, but I sort of like the greenish-blue aged look, gives it a little character. I was watching that show with the big guy and the dorky guy with the high end resto shop in Wisconsin? and they did a Shelby wheel. The same deal, repaired it with that steering wheel epoxy then painted and cleared it. I would say that baby was at least 2 grand to do there, but good work costs good money.
There is a chrome strip sort of like the Olds wheel and they just used chrome pinstriping tape over it before it was cleared. By the time the clear filled over the tape you couldn't tell it from an original they had.
I was wondering if that strip comes out on the Olds wheel? It looks like it is set into a groove, my parts book is too new to show if it is a seperate part.

Fitting a steering wheel cover?, I bet OJ would know how to make glove leather go on that wheel really tight.

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; August 20th, 2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: gramer
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:39 PM

Eastwood has a kit for redoing steering wheels. Or at least I think that was where I seen it.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:39 AM

The chrome strip is tape. The original was also. I know that because after several years it started to crack and the edges were sharp and poked my hands so I would scrape the turned up slivers off with my fingernail.

There is a clear plastic insert underneath that tape but the tape is the only thing that is chrome colored.

I need to comment on the over all steering wheel experience though. I have been putting this off because I figure I would just scratch it up to experience but then it kept eating at me so here are the facts.

I used Gary's Steering Wheel service (he has a web site). He has pictures of previous projects that all look very nice. Perfect as a matter of fact. I sent him pictures of my wheel and asked for a ball park figure. He said $450.

I shipped him the wheel and got a call about 4 weeks later, saying that they were going to start on my wheel and wanted a down payment. I authorized $200 from my credit card account.

Four or fivre weeks later I had a $400 debit show up on my bank statement that I had not authorized. They did not call me or email me to verify/get authorization to automatically take those funds.

Not only was I livid that they did not call and get approval and give me a heads up on this action but I had a $450 estimate with $200 down and now they took an additional $400. That's a big difference, in my opinion, between and estimate of $450 and a final of $600, plus shipping!

I called and expressed my concerns to the boss himself. He said he would review the statement and get back to me. About an hour later the phone range.....he said they had miscalculated and that he was refunding $50.

Well $50 is something but it still is costing me $100 more than the original estimate.

I said to just credit my account since they had the credit card number, but he siad he would rather send a check. He would include it in the steering wheel package when he mailed the wheel to me later that week.

The wheel came....it was very nice....I was pleased with the result......there was NO check in the package!

I emailed him ( I really didn't want to talk to this bozo in person, I was too irrate!)

He said "The check is in the mail.". It is now several months later and I still have not received a check.

The short version of this is this: I will not recommend nor would I ever do business with these people ever again. If I ever see this guy in person at a car showw I wiil be sure tell everyone I see what I think of his intregrity!

IF any of you want your steering wheel redone I would suggest you search out someone other than http://www.garyssteeringwheel.com/

The workmanship was excellent, the customer service sucks!
Old August 22nd, 2008, 05:02 AM
Past Administrator

A perfect example showing what makes or does not make a good business. Being skilled in your trade and doing a job well is just part of the complete picture. Being a savvy and honest business man, being prompt in replies, fairness, efficiency, manners, all come into play. Thanks for the heads up.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 05:17 AM

New'n,

I hope you disputed the charge with your CC company.
Hopefully you could at least get that $100 back
Sorry you had such a bad experience...
Old August 22nd, 2008, 06:47 AM
Registered

Thanks for the wheel strip explanation. I'm sorry about your experience with that guy but I've been through it too, and for a lot more if that's any consolation. 2 cents or 20,000 bucks doesn't matter, it's the principal, and being lied to is even worse. I would do more to him than telling everybody, I have one guy that won't show his face around me. I had to sue him and I represented myself against his big buck long haired glamour boy lawyer. With some free advice and common sense I actually won the case. They say only fools represent themselves, so I guess I'm a fool. You really never win, it's like a car accident, a real pain even if you aren't at fault. The guy is paranoid now so that is another small victory, runs and hides when I'm around, and he should.

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; August 22nd, 2008 at 06:52 AM.
Old November 8th, 2008, 04:56 PM

You can contest it with your Credit Card Company. They always side with the card holder, even if they eat it. I have had to use this method couple times. Only time it did not work was the time I paid it because it was with the Alarm Co. and I did not want anything to happen and them not respond due to lack of payment. Like insurance hate them, but need them.
Old November 9th, 2008, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm also looking at a replacement of the leather cover on a steering wheel that I have (91 Silhouette, to be installed in my Custom Cruiser). I don't want the Wheelskins cover, which to me looks like an expensive version of the vinyl covers sold at Pep Boys. I want to replace the factory-style leather. I can get the material. My question is, how do you stretch the cover to conform to the finger grips and general shape of the wheel? I have found several high dollar vendors who recover wheels for Porsches and Mercedes. I'm looking for info on how to do it myself.

This is not an area where I know a whole lot, but some time ago I took some leather tooling classes. wetting the leather will soften it. My parents used one of the nicer do it yourself kits on the 79 cutlass cruiser that I got from them. The kit if installed carefully actually followed the contours of the wheel quite faithfully though with just the stitching. and was only beginning to wear when the car got wrecked after about it think seven years of daily use. It took a few hours to install and matched the interior color well. saddle tan. I don't know if any of this is useful or not, but hope so
Old November 9th, 2008, 06:26 AM
car guy

sorry to hear the over all experience went bad. The rim work looks really good but did they do the center pad also?
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:45 AM

Well they did something to the pad....it was in real nice shape originally but a little shiney where my hands had polished it over the years.

I'm sure they re-dyed it to match the rim work.

Just as a precaution against any mishap with that pad, I picked up a spare in the correct color off eBay.

As I said previously, I am pleased with the workmanship, its the customer service part of their operation that stinks.
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:33 PM

Well, I guess I'm getting a replica 442 wheel. LOL
Old November 26th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Loose Radical

Interesting to see that a link on Gary's site describes his long standing relationship and great feedback with customers and there are no posted comments. 'Coming soon'
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:47 AM

Actually, since I had such a bad taste in my nouth about this steering wheel incident I did not even go back to his web site to see if I could leave a comment.

I wonder if he would actually allow any negative comments to be posted on his site?

I don't think I will waste my time trying it out.

If you doubt anything I have posted about this bozo you are more than welcome to send him your next project, along with a healthy chunk of your bank account!

Good luck!
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:39 AM

I know this is old but I picked up my 76 Custom Cruiser last month and I knew the wheel was cracked and I googled and found the aforementioned clown and emailed for an estimate and he responded with just a curt "$575.00" no hi, no bye, no nothing, and I thought to myself "hmmm that's a lot of money for attitude to start with... I think not." So I guess I will do it myself
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wagonsteeringwheel.jpg (61.9 KB, 29 views)
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:00 AM

Well considering that he quoted me $400 and then took an addition $250 you would have probably ended up with about a $700 bill for your steering wheel.........AND an attitude!

I keep thinking someone will can BBB but then that would probably not bother ol' Gary!