In Memoriam In Loving Memory of Our Friends

69442C Brian Monahan

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2019, 05:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

69442C Brian Monahan

Brian Monahan (69442C) joins the honor roll. He succumbed to a year long battle with Glioblastoma brain cancer last night. He is a huge loss to not only his family and friends, but the collective information he amassed working for Oldsmobile back in the day that continued well into his future. His legacy will live on in the car he built that won top honors (995/1000) points in the Chicago Auto show last year. I met him on this site and it didn't take long to become best friends. I will miss him terribly. Donations can be made on his behalf to the National Brain Cancer Society.
Old October 15th, 2019, 05:59 PM

R.I.P. Brian
Old October 15th, 2019, 06:42 PM
Gary

Brian was a really good gentleman. I would send him Pm's for advise and he would always respond back. RIP sir.
Old October 15th, 2019, 07:47 PM
Administrator

So sorry to hear the loss of another very talented and knowledgeable member. RIP Brian and condolences to his family and friends.
Old October 17th, 2019, 04:32 PM

Brian's service details. I hope to go on Saturday. He truly was one of the nicest and selfless guys, a great restorer and wealth of knowledge. We will miss him.

https://www.evansfuneralchapel.com/n.../Brian-Monahan
Old October 17th, 2019, 04:47 PM

This is sad news and another loss of a very generous and kind member here on this site. I also received great advise from Brian in the past. His expertise was 'real world' knowledge!

My condolences to his family.

HM
Old October 17th, 2019, 09:47 PM

Sorry to hear of his passing. He went out of his way to help me on my '72 vert when I first started posting on CO. Too many members sick or passing recently.
Old October 21st, 2019, 06:40 PM

I was unfortunately sick this weekend and was unable to attend his service. My thoughts and prayers go out his family and friends.

For those that had not seen the gold 69 442 convertible he restored, please see his build thread and you will need a while to go through it all, truly amazing work:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...project-51363/

I came to know Brian when he joined the Delaware Valley Oldsmobile Club in 2011. When he was finishing this 69 442 up in 2013 he invited me over to see it. I took my son, who was 6 at the time, along with me. I was in awe of the car and the work he had done in his garage. He had some extra parts and knowing I have a 69 442 convertible as well, asked me if I need anything. I said I was looking for an original standard steering wheel. He said well I have the one I have been using on the car during the build that came form a parts car , though it had some cracks and needed to be restored. I said, sure how much ? He said just take it. Then he said, I have something for your son too. He went inside and came back with a detailed die cast Castrol funny car and gave it to my son and said for him to enjoy. He still has that car today.

Many here know Brian from the restoration he did on the 69 442 convertible. But you may not know he worked for Hurst back in the early 1980s in their sales and marketing department. He was involved with the lightning rods project as well as the 1983 Hurst/ Olds and even got to drive the prototype car ! He also owned and then later restored a 79 Hurst/ Olds that was owned by Hurst as well. That car was featured in Hemmings Muscle Machines and you can read more about , and see more of Brian's resto work, here:
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/articl...-hurst-olds-2/

This past May I got to see Brian for the last time. He was clearing out his garage and myself and another club member went to pick up some of his equipment (during a terrible thunderstorm it turned out!). Once again he would take nothing for any of it, was just glad it would be put to good use and help someone out. That's just the way he was, a truly nice guy.
Rest in Peace Brian.
Old November 27th, 2019, 11:22 AM

Sad Sad Sad News!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG very sad news indeed, I had the pleasure and Honor of meeting and chatting with Brian and many many questions I even bough a huge lot of parts a few years ago. I am beyond sad right now, I just popped on for some light reading, and to get the juices flowing but this is too sad.

May he rest in Peace, live everyday because tomorrow is not promised.

Thank You Allan