The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶Introducing myself + cars!٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2021, 10:56 PM
Outrightolds Creator

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶Introducing myself + cars!٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

This looks to be the best thing going for Olds forums! Congrats to the admins- its tough keeping a forum going! So much spam/bots to deal with these days!
I'm of course a big fan of Olds, you can see that from my website ~ more to read over there about me. My Oldsmobiles are #1) 1991 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible #2) 1967 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. I'm usually on the W-Body forum because of car #1, but recently bought car #2 and I think this is the better place to be for it.

Here are some pics! I just bought the '67 and hope to do more with it as weather and money allow!

Old December 15th, 2021, 05:14 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, nice collection of Oldsmobiles.
Old December 15th, 2021, 05:22 AM

Very nice welcome! Those wheel covers on your 67 are the same I had on my 67 442 back in the day. Looks good!
Old December 15th, 2021, 06:31 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome to the site. There is lots of knowledge here. That is a really sharp 91 convertible. The wheels really look nice on that car. Did you buy the 67 on Bring A Trailer? They recently had one that looked very similar.
Old December 15th, 2021, 07:02 AM

Welcome! Fellow 67 convertible owner here. Your car reminds me a lot of mine when it was first acquired. It had those hubcaps and a trailer hitch.

What options does it have? We love to see pics of what you’re working with.
Old December 15th, 2021, 08:06 AM
Bfg

Nice collection, although I’m not a fan of newer Oldsmobiles, that 91 really pops!
Old December 15th, 2021, 09:33 AM

Very nice! You come to the right Oldsmobile place for sure. The best people in the Oldsmobile community are here. Welcome
Old December 15th, 2021, 04:39 PM
Lansing built

Looking sharp! Welcome to forum.

Pat
Old December 15th, 2021, 09:42 PM
Outrightolds Creator

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Very nice welcome! Those wheel covers on your 67 are the same I had on my 67 442 back in the day. Looks good!
Oh yeah? I believe they are original as the guy gave me an ad with the bundle of paperwork with the car (pic below) it looks like at some point someone replaced the centers as well- so they really liked them.
They've grown on me a bit more- but I still plan on replacing them with some 15" SS1 wheels! Currently its on these 14's and if I buy new tires its going to be 15" at least!

Old December 15th, 2021, 09:55 PM
Outrightolds Creator

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Welcome to the site. There is lots of knowledge here. That is a really sharp 91 convertible. The wheels really look nice on that car. Did you buy the 67 on Bring A Trailer? They recently had one that looked very similar.
Thanks! On the 91 wheels, yes apparently after the SSII/III wheels which were on those last rear wheel drive Cutlasses, Olds wanted to have another 'great' wheel, they're affectionately known as "pies/pie wheels/pie plates" and tend to not be so popular. Hemmings did an article on them "Not your fathers wheels". They were only available 1989-1992, very short run so somewhat rare! I've got a spare set just in case. Personally I like them and they match the era, but like my (now sold) 1988 Cavalier Z24 wheels, people love em or hate em.
I did not get it on Bring a Trailer, though had my eyes open to that site. Found the 67 on Facebook marketplace in Wisconsin.
Heres the link to that Hemmings article on the 1991's wheels: Not Your Fathers Wheels
Old December 15th, 2021, 10:11 PM
Outrightolds Creator

Originally Posted by Rocket Fire V8
Welcome! Fellow 67 convertible owner here. Your car reminds me a lot of mine when it was first acquired. It had those hubcaps and a trailer hitch.

What options does it have? We love to see pics of what you’re working with.
I browsed some of your previous posts, wow on what you're doing with your 67 convertible, nice! As mentioned above, I do want to change out those wheels/hubcaps! I also plan to remove the hitch- it does seem so strange to have one on a car like this, but I guess at one time it was utilitarian! I think it'll look much cleaner off- and I'll be able to fill up with gas easier too!

I haven't really gotten into what options it has or not- I don't see the option codes (usually in trunk right?). No A/C, manual windows, bench seats up front, 2 speed trans, original 330 - one thing I'd like to know is if its the regular or high compression engine, I have no idea what to look at to determine.
Old December 15th, 2021, 10:19 PM
Outrightolds Creator

Originally Posted by Bfg
Nice collection, although I’m not a fan of newer Oldsmobiles, that 91 really pops!
Thanks!!! My Dad calls it a 'baby' Olds He's got a 1972 442 W-30 Convertible (in Canada). I wasn't looking for a '91, I was looking at the 1992-1995's as I liked the styling better.
But, this one was just in such nice condition, and was the right price- later I found out it is more 'rare' @ 1,383 produced in '91 so kinda nice in that sense! In 1988, Olds did 50 convertibles but had a lot of issues- they skipped 1989, and halfway through 1990 they sorted the issues out and got in about 400 convertibles, 1991 they picked up the pace a bit- and production increased in 92->95.
Old December 15th, 2021, 10:57 PM
Outrightolds Creator

Backstory on both cars for those that like this sort of thing:

The 1991 Cutlass-
1 of 1383 convertibles in 1991 made. 1 of roughly 100,000 Cutlass Supremes made for 1991. 95 of the convertibles were this dark sapphire blue, 60 of those blue cars had the white top. This one has the LH0 3.1L V-6, I believe the 3.4L came in towards the end of 1991 and into 1992. The car has wiring for a HUD but didn't have the option / wasn't available in the convertibles this year. Disc brakes all around, kinda a big deal at the time. It also has the rear fiberglass 'monoleaf' which Corvette first used, and GM thought would be great to use in some W bodies like this one. It has steering wheel controls notably not only for radio control but for HVAC.
This car cost $26K and the original owner said closer to $30K is what he paid all said and done when he bought it new.
Cars and Concepts converted the coupes to convertibles and it was quite the process. Going off memory of what I read from a facebook group of plant workers who made these- the car was partially built up, then sent over to C+C to have the top cut off and some bracing added, then back to GM for them to paint/add interior pieces, then back to C+C to finish off (put top on etc), then back again to GM for final inspection. A costly process.

The original owner had bought it for his wife to drive, and they did drive it a fair amount- about 90K miles on when I bought it in 2015. He kept IMMACULATE records on the car. Down to every gas fill up and car wash along with what payment he used. Mechanical records are all there too start to finish, down to fuses replaced. I've also kept the mechanical records, the gas records are too much for me

The 1967 Cutlass-
I know a lot less about but I know some! It was manufactured in the last part of April 1967. I'm the 4th owner. From my research, the 1st owner was a lady who bought the car at 50 years old (it was within 2 weeks of her birthday, so... birthday present?). Not sure when the next owner (Joe) bought it- but he sold it to (Scott) in and around 1986/87. In 1984 it had its engine rebuilt, and 1985 it had body work (not sure what all that was), and bumpers re-chromed, also re-upholstered. 1986, the top was redone, and then 3-4 years ago carb replaced with a Holley (still have the original).

I found the car for sale on Facebook Marketplace in Appleton Wisconsin, as far as I can tell right around that area is where it has lived its entire life! I like both the 67's and the 68-72's but the 68-72s are just out of my price range in convertible form.

Last edited by outrightolds; December 15th, 2021 at 11:12 PM.
Old December 16th, 2021, 01:03 PM
66 cutlass

Nice cars. Love the 67, great color too.