231 to 307 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2019, 07:50 AM

231 to 307 swap questions

Ok so I got a good deal on a 307 out of an 85 delta with 38k original miles that is going to go into my 79 omega replacing the trouble some 231 V6. My conundrum currently is this... The delta had emissions and an ecm controlling the carb and all in theory a mechanical carb and distributor assembly with the only needed vac lines for timing advance, secondary's etc.. and plugged of smog lines it should be fine.. I have been told (which I already figured) trying to run the ecm controlled carb on it's own is pointless will either not run or will run like crap and with no advance just asking for problems. I have a mechanical Q-jet carb just have to order the distributor assembly. Is it that simple or am I missing something? O2 sensor was kept an will be hooked up egr was broken off and now has a bypass plate on it. Just wanted to be sure the basics are enough so I don't kill the motor once in and starting it
Old August 4th, 2019, 09:49 AM

Either get the ecm and all related wiring with the 307, or plan to replace the ecm controlled carb and distributor with old school parts. If you try and run the CCC carb and distributor without the ECM, the carb will be full rich all the time, the distributor will be at base timing. In other words, terrible mileage and performance.
Old August 8th, 2019, 08:02 AM

I'm replacing all the ecm controlled stuff already planned to just seemed to easy if that makes sense lol. just hoping that from one olds to another that trans will hook up one thing forgot to check before getting motor sadly so hoping for luck with that being trans in the delta had electrical connectors and a cracked case from being moved by a pay loader
Old June 9th, 2022, 03:21 AM

You state that you installed an electric fuel pump and the engine runs for 3 seconds until the gas you primed the carburetor with runs out. Is the pump running and supplying fuel to the carburetor? Test the fuel pump output by removing the outlet hose and craning the engine. Does fuel come out?