Why tolerate the madness?

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2008, 02:32 PM

Why tolerate the madness?

I received a PM from another member about Norm's rude behavior and I began to wonder why Norm is still posting on our website... The other member told me that he would no longer post on our site because of Norm.

I would like Norm's posting privleges removed. I know he could just sign on as a different person in a day or two, but apparently I am not the only one that is fed up with his madness.

I finally put Norm on my "ignore list." I would encourage everyone else to do the same.

Thanks
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
........ I would like Norm's posting privleges removed ........
I suggest you post your sentiments in a PM to the Mods and/or administrators.

Or, you could be a man, and send send that PM to me.

Originally Posted by Olds64
........ I know he could just sign on as a different person in a day or two ........
And be myself? I don't think so.

Norm
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:33 AM

What's wrong with Norm ? So some people take him as "crusty" Big deal.. I enjoy reading everyone's postings on this forum, UNLESS YOU HAVE POOR SPELLING AND GRAMMAR ! Other than that, if I don't like someone's posting or a follow up reply, I move on. Simple really.
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:42 AM

In my short time here I have read Norms posts and found him to be rude, condescending, arrogant and just a plain old jerk. In honor of your request to " be a man and send right to you" here you go- buzz off jerk, no one appreciates someone that has to hide behind a facade such as you do. People that post should " be themsleves".....if you have trouble with any of the verbiage I have used here get a dictionary, you know, from a book store, should be near the self help section.
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by boese1978
........ In honor of your request to " be a man and send right to you" ........
Read it again. This time, read what is actually there:

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
........ Or, you could be a man, and send send that PM to me ........
My PM box is still empty. Looks like you have a problem with your reading comprehension?

........ People that post should " be themsleves" ........
Yes they should. What is your point?

........ if you have trouble with any of the verbiage I have used ........
If you have any trouble spelling THEMSELVES, get a dictionary, you know, from a book store, should be near the self help section.

Norm
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Modern Motoring
........ if I don't like someone's posting or a follow up reply, I move on ........
Works for me.

Norm
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

I personally thank Norm for posting. He's got a lot of good info and we can all learn from him. I sense that Norm doesn't suffer fools, and frankly I can be the same way sometimes. People post asking about cams, torque converters, or other items, usually based on something someone said concerning a Chevy configuration, then 1) don't provide enough information for someone to offer an informed answer and 2) don't follow up with this information when requested. We're here to help each other, but that should start with helping oneself.

I'm of a certain age and disposition (some will say "curmudgeon") where I too prefer reading posts in English (as opposed to "TXT") with actual sentences and punctuation. I also get a little peeved when someone asks for free copies of service manual info or wiring diagrams. Heck, I paid for the book, and you can too.

The bottom line is get a thicker skin. Frankly, I rarely disagree with the things Norm says. I may have been a wee bit more tactful, but I usually agree. If you don't like it, use the delete button.
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:42 AM

Hmmm what happens with this thread will be interesting.
Old February 17th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Oldsdruid

I can guarantee you Norm isn't hiding behind any facade- what you see and hear is the genuine article.

Norm, Joe P and I are all cut from the same cloth. We can be blunt or even bristly sometimes, especially when someone is being a total idiot or is obviously showing he hasn't done the slightest bit of research on his own. We've heard all the misinformation that's been spread about Olds thru the years. We also have enough experience and enough contacts with people who were there that if we don't have the answer, we can get it with a couple emails or phone calls.

I vote Norm stays. Grumpy ol' B or not, he knows as much about an Oldsmobile as anyone you will ever meet.

Besides, as much as the PC weenies would love it, the very nature of man does not guarantee you will go thru life and never be offended.

It's like an old boss told me once- "Sometimes you have to **** people off to get anything accomplished."

He was also known to say that sometimes you had to show your *** to get your point across.

I loved working with him, but when the Church of the Professionally Offended took over Corporate America, he decided he was financially able to retire and did.

Last edited by rocketraider; February 17th, 2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:47 PM

I'd also say Norm's knowledge is an asset to the site. Probably in the top three overall Oldsmobile knowledge on this site. And top two when it comes to Oldsmobile engines. Why would we want to lose someone with that kind of knowledge? I wouldn't.

Don
Old February 17th, 2008, 06:42 PM

OK, when it comes to Political Correctness I know all about that as I work for the government. Yeah, some days I just want to puke over what we must do to not offend some special interest group. On the other hand, when I'm in the grocery store and some little kid points at a very large lady and states in a loud voice "WOW, SHE IS REALLY FAT!" I feel kinda bad for the large lady! Everyone is grumpy once in a while, and for some crusty old gear heads it happens more often than once in a while. But would it be too terribly hard for the crusty old guy to try and tone it down a little? The newbie that has no clue we all would rather walk then put a Che*y in our Oldsmobiles doesn't need us to bite his head off. If we do that he may never see the light, and experience the satisfaction of driving a real car. If it wasn't for a crusty old geezer with a wornout set of tools being very patient with a 17 year old kid I would never have learned what a satisfying hobby this can be. Isn't the purpose of this site to share our knowledge and experiece to help others learn about and enjoy these cars? John
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:33 PM
dar83501

I don't really mind Norm, he does seem pretty knowledgeable, however it wouldn't kill him not to butcher somebody in every single post. Everyone has their flaws I suppose. It doesn't bother me too much, because people aren't really capable of becoming argumentative or trying to systematically counter & destroy things I say, because I don't comment on things I don't know about...I'm sure others don't feel the same way though.

Old February 17th, 2008, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by dar83501
........ not to butcher somebody in every single post ........
Every single post?

Originally Posted by dar83501
........ because I don't comment on things I don't know about ........
Good thinking. I think everyone should do the same.

Norm
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Rocketeer Jr.

After thinking about this thread all day, Here's my 2 cents,

#1 I joined this site to learn more about antique Oldsmobiles.

#2 I joined this site to meet other people who want to learn more about antique Oldsmobiles.

#3 I joined this site to learn things from people who KNOW antique Oldsmobiles.

That being said, let me say this,

While Norm can be (and is) confrontational at times, does anybody here know more about antique Oldsmobiles than he does?

I'm not saying that wisdom or experience gives one free reign to become a donkeyhole, it doesnt', but there is a level of respect that should be given to those who really KNOW these cars.

Everyone on the site is watching this thread, why dont we show some class, and TRY TO GET ALONG!

Jeff+10

Last edited by jeffrey; February 17th, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
........would it be too terribly hard for the crusty old guy to try and tone it down a little? ........
Tone?

My "tone" is set by the post I am replying to. Nothing more, nothing less.

........ very patient with a 17 year old kid I would never have learned ........
Do you think your "eagerness/willingness to learn" had anything to do with it?

Norm
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by jeffrey
........ but there is a level of respect that should be given ........
The definition of "respect" seems to have changed, radically, during the past few years.

Norm
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Rocketeer Jr.

The definition of "respect" seems to have changed, radically, during the past few years.

Norm

Sadly, you're correct again.....

(previous post edited for clarification)

Last edited by jeffrey; February 17th, 2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:00 AM

OK, when it comes to Political Correctness I know all about that as I work for the government. Yeah, some days I just want to puke over what we must do to not offend some special interest group. On the other hand, when I'm in the grocery store and some little kid points at a very large lady and states in a loud voice "WOW, SHE IS REALLY FAT!" I feel kinda bad for the large lady! Everyone is grumpy once in a while, and for some crusty old gear heads it happens more often than once in a while. But would it be too terribly hard for the crusty old guy to try and tone it down a little? The newbie that has no clue we all would rather walk then put a Che*y in our Oldsmobiles doesn't need us to bite his head off. If we do that he may never see the light, and experience the satisfaction of driving a real car. If it wasn't for a crusty old geezer with a wornout set of tools being very patient with a 17 year old kid I would never have learned what a satisfying hobby this can be. Isn't the purpose of this site to share our knowledge and experiece to help others learn about and enjoy these cars? John
wow this really hit home with me haha, and what is even more unusal is the mechanic i apprentice for his name is john too.

and norms a cool guy in my opinion, he's always straight forward when he answers my questions.

Last edited by shaks 442 clone; February 18th, 2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by chip_gikey
Hmmm what happens with this thread will be interesting.
Yes it will.
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:15 AM

If this thread is Norm vote I say he's in!....Very knowledgeable in my opinion. I dont feel that sentences need to be pulled out of posts and replys and commented on individually but thats my opinion and if its a way of getting to the point well thats fine too. Sometimes when I post I wonder if I will be "Normed"....Its almost like a scene out of "The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" where Linus is waiting in the pumpkin patch for the Great Pumpkin. He makes a slip of the tongue and says "if the Great Pumpkin appears" instead of "when the Great Pumpkin appears"....Then he realizes he's doomed!...I get the same feeling sometimes here with posting!
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
........ I dont feel that sentences need to be pulled out of posts and replys and commented on individually ........
It's done for the same reason that it was before Algore invented the Internet. Brevity and clarity. Should a complete post (regardless of its length) be quoted, if the comment refers to only one sentence? A waste of time and bandwidth.

........ if its a way of getting to the point ........
That too.

........ Sometimes when I post I wonder if I will be "Normed" ........
Not likely, as you are one of those, whose posts are factual in nature.

I am confident, however, that if I did question anything you posted, You would not read anything into it, that I did not write. Instead, like anyone else who actually knows something about the subject, you would simply explain/defend your position. After a mature discussion, we might even agree to disagree.

At the other end of the spectrum: There are those who respond, to simple questions/comments, with personal attacks/insults. Does anyone think those "personal attacks/insults" are based on a knowledge of the topic?

Or, could it be possible, they are a ruse to divert attention from the BS that was questioned?

Norm
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:59 AM

I don't have a problem with Norm he helped me on here before when no one even tried to help. Yeah hes a little straight forward, but at least he helps people or tries to help all the time.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 06:42 PM

I have been "normed" and find him rather confrentational, yet he didn't bother me any. He is a no-BS kinda guy. He knows his stuff and isn't afraid to call someone out on their mistakes. I respect norm, as he isn't trying to be condesending, it is just his "way". You don't like it to bad for you. My woodshop teacher was like norm is, but he knew his stuff and I really miss him, he was a nice guy, just don't make a mistake and attempt to argue that you're right. You probably aren't, seriously. That simple.

This from a 14 year old kid. Guys, grow up and grow some thicker skin!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
Oldsdruid

This from a 14 year old kid.
Who, had he not outed himself, would never have been suspected of such.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:06 PM

^Thank you glenn.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by marcar1993
I have been "normed" ........
Had to do a search, to find the details. Found them here:

It's refreshing to get a mature reply, instead of a personal attack/flame. Might be the first time it has ever happened.
I did not know your age at the time, it was more, a "shot" at captjim (and others of his ilk) than anything else.

How ironic, that "mature reply" came from a 14 year old. Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile.

Norm
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Zeil's Law

This thread reminded me of Zeil's Law. Walter Zeil was a recognized expert in Illinois on the operation, use, and reliability of the Breathalyzer used to test the blood alcohol levels of DUI arrestees. He taught the Breathalyzer licensing class I took during my previous life as a cop. When we walked into the class, Zeil was sitting in front, smoking a cigarette, and watching us. Once everyone was in and seated, he pointed to the board on which was written
3M=1A. He asked if anyone knew what it meant and, of course, no one did. He explained it is Zeil's Law and it means that anytime you have a group of three or more men together, you have at least one a__hole, and before the week was over, we would know who the "A" was.

That occurred in 1976 and since then I have had the opportunity to see the truth of Zeil's Law many times over. The fundamental truth of Zeil's Law is that at any given time everyone of us has an infinite capacity to be the "A".

It could be that at some point in time Norm has been the "A". It could be that he who started this thread was taking his turn to be the "A". Some might think that I'm the "A" for writing this response. It doesn't matter because we're all the "A" and we all need to get along.
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:53 PM
2Blue 55

OMG!!!

WTF is the problem? How in the HELL do you have "Tone" On the internet????

What a bunch of god damn belly aching goin on here... Suck it up for Christ sake!!

There is enough naggin and Bi**ing on the news without it here... I havn't been posting lately due to homework, But When I am lonely at home this is where I go to "get away from it all"

Norm's posts make sense with his quotes... And with any luck the next problem i have i'll get "normed"

If it wasn't for norm, Alot of us would be even more stupid... Like me, I, ALso, AM 15...

I think the problem is how you read it, You is all a being pessimists..
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Norm is the best. I wish I could go to the track with him for a day. I would like to remind everyone that if you ask an intelligent question , you will get an intelligent answer.
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:49 PM

As a new member here, I hope my input is ok on this post.
As any newbie, I have been devouring a ton of posts trying to aquaint myself with the forum. Honestly, I can't see what the problem is you guys are referrencing.
I must admit to being probably maddenly direct myself. It comes from spending 14 hrs+ in the shop, then trying to relax with some fun car chat. I love trying to help solve problems, lord knows I have things that come up I need guidance on as well.
I thouroughly enjoy people who have years worth of hard earned knowledge, and have the willingness to share. I say thanks!
Jeff
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:23 AM
2Blue 55

I agree totally with you speedy... I couldn't have said it any better

I think This thread has served it's purpose, Of what i have no idea, But what i'm getting at is it would be a great idea to LET IT SINK and not starting another jackass thread that could **** folks off. I myself don't see THE GOD DAMN PROBLEM, I sees too much **** like this happening on other forums and the smart people leave because 99.9% of the time theese smart folks like norm don't need to post a question as they have the ability to figure it out themselves.

Just my opnion here folks,
Robert