Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

What do you guys think of this 62 Starfire?

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2011, 11:12 AM

I am a member of the AACA now, but I will be sure to check out the other places you mentioned!!!! Thanks for the info!
Old July 17th, 2011, 06:46 PM

Glenn, thanks; it is because I saw one of your posts on the AACA forum that I more frequently visit, that I was reminded to stop by here (I think you and Steve Westlake both implored me to do so much earlier). I now have this as one of my "favorites", and will try to stop by more often.
Old July 17th, 2011, 06:52 PM

Also, for the fuel filter housing, I bought an NOS one on eBay a couple years back; I may have put the replacement unit on my '62 D88 Fiesta wagon, will have to double-check. I also know that one was from Desert Valley Auto Parts in Arizona, which I obtained a few years back. In fact, I think that was obtained shortly after when I met you Glenn, in Springfield, IL at the OCA Nats in '98; my buddy Dave was working on teflon-taping one of the inputs on the fuel filter bowl housing, when we met, and discussed ALL things Oldsmobile, for sure!

I will do some checking around to see if I can come up with anything...
Old July 18th, 2011, 11:52 AM

I found a housing at us parts supply, but I am not sure if it would work. The orig. one had a bracket that screwed on to the top that went over to the oil filler neck. But so far that is the only place that I have seen that has the fuel filter housing assembly. I have some time to look, the car won't be here until Aug 8. If you find a place let me know I am sure I will need a few odds and ends.
Old July 29th, 2011, 08:38 AM

Guess my new car will arrive next weekend. I do have a question though. How common are stress cracks below the sail panel on these cars? The seller mentioned to me that he noticed a 3/4 inch crack that developed in the paint from sitting. He tried to fix it but his body shop was busy until Sept/Oct. So he knocked off some of the shipping price (he is going to deliver it). Is something like that typically expensive to fix? Is there any way to really avoid the stress cracks?
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Oldsdruid

I see it more frequently on Chevrolets from same era because of their X frames with more body flex, but it's not unusual to see that crack on any of the "convertible styled" 62-64 GM hardtops.

I'm not sure how you'd make a permanent repair. You'd have to grind off the paint and weld or braze the crack, then metal finish again and paint, and I don't know how well that would hold up in the long term.
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:21 AM

HUmmm.. the seller suggested that I could have it welded and have fiberglass put over it. I have a feeling no matter what I do, it could just happen again. maybe it is something I should just get use to.
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by viper771
.... The seller mentioned to me that he noticed a 3/4 inch crack that developed in the paint from sitting. ................ Is something like that typically expensive to fix? Is there any way to really avoid the stress cracks?
Cracks don't happen from sitting, but they do happen when they are not properly addressed prior to painting. To properly deal with a crack in metal, you have to first drill a hole at each end of the crack. This will stop the crack from continuing to "travel" on the metal. Cracks in metal are a result of metal fatigue, or continual flexing. Once you have drilled a hole at each end, then the crack can be either brazed or mig welded, including closing up the holes. Metal finish and paint, and hope that it doesn't come back. There are no guarantees when metal fatigue, other than to cut out a portion of the metal and replace it.

Originally Posted by viper771
HUmmm.. the seller suggested that I could have it welded and have fiberglass put over it. I have a feeling no matter what I do, it could just happen again. maybe it is something I should just get use to.
My experience tell me that no matter how insignificant a defect is in a car, the owner never gets used to it, and eventually will fix the problem. It is like a nagging wife... no matter how long she nags, you never get used to it, and the longer it goes on, the more annoying it becomes.
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the tip junkman! You are most likely right that I would eventually fix it, as long as it didn't cost too much. I figured it was metal fatigue. I didn't know that it happened on cars during this era. I know that the 63? Ford pickup that had the cab and bed all once piece would develop those types of cracks due to flexing over time.

Do you think I should drill holes on each end of the crack as soon as I get it? Or can it wait for awhile? I don't know when I will get it fixed (unless I sell it before then). I appreciate the info though guys. There are a few car restoration places around my town or close by I wanted to check out for putting a headliner in, and maybe I can ask about fixing the crack too.
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:00 PM

I wouldn't do anything body wise, until the day that you are ready to fix the body, except to keep it clean, and removed any caked up mud or dirt that is residing under the car of the metal parts.
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:13 PM

Ok sounds good to me. I just didn't want to make it worse by driving it around here and there... then making the crack bigger. I will have a full report by next weekend when the car arrives.