1964 olds 442 Dk Aqua Mist Paint

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2023, 07:15 AM

1964 olds 442 Dk Aqua Mist Paint

Hey Guys
Need Your Help Badly I have a 64 Olds 442 that I need touchup paint for it's a original numbers matching untouched think the only thing I've ever changed on it is the starter solenoid back in 1969 oh by the way this is my mother's car Dad bought it for Mom in 1964 been in the family all it's life.
The color has always been Dark Aqua Mist but as you know color changes over time (And I don't want to repaint the car, doesn't make sense especially since working on the paint for a few months has got it looking very good)
I need touchup paint I've bought countless brands of touchup but nothing looks right it's either to light or a shade or to lighter than surrounding areas.
The only way is to match it with a piece of metal off the car as it is now --- I assume some of you have had the same problem if so ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHERE I SHOULD TAKE A SMALL Piece OF METAL FROM THAT WOULD BE HIDDEN.
So a Paint Distributor would have something to match given the age of the paint and the light the air the oxidation the UV etc etc has changed the paint let's say shade and what it is now
Any Help Advise Counseling Direction Suggestions would be Greatly appreciated.
You Guys have never let me down do that's why I'm coming to you for Help
Alsmith787
Old August 29th, 2023, 07:22 AM

Drive it down to your local Sherwin Williams automotive paint store.
I believe they can scan the actual paint there and help ya.

And post some pictures man!
Old August 30th, 2023, 05:55 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Touch up paint is never going to match perfectly on a metallic color. The application affects the way the metallics are oriented and paint that is dabbed or brushed on will never achieve the same metallic orientation as what was sprayed on. Usually it has a tendency to look darker when dabbed on. Even if I paint a car today and touch it up with the same paint tomorrow, you’ll be able to easily spot it. It’s also near impossible to match age.

You pretty much just gotta do the best you can and live with it. Or maybe reach out to some restoration shops with older guys experienced in the older paints and they may be able to help you without repainting it. They may be able to help get you where you can buff it out and it be minimally noticeable.

I’ll usually sand the area to be touched up with 2000 grit paper. Then apply multiple very light touch ups. The key to a good touch up is to fill within the scratch/chip and not to paint over it. Once it’s filled, let it cure for a few days, then sand over it with 2000 until it’s as smooth as you can get it and buff it out. That gets me the best results without having to repaint. On solid colors, I can make it where you can’t find the touch up when I’m done. Metallics that’s just not possible.

Last edited by ijasond; August 30th, 2023 at 06:26 AM.
Old August 30th, 2023, 06:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Everything said above, plus the fact that the original paint is lacquer, so be sure you get lacquer touch up paint, which can be a challenge.
Old August 30th, 2023, 08:38 AM
Lance

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/