Interior paint

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Interior paint

Hey guys I'm thinking about changing the color of my car and interior, what kind of paint should i use or do you recomend I use to paint my interior? Is this a fairly easy process? Thanks for your help.
Old July 6th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by B-Mann
Hey guys I'm thinking about changing the color of my car and interior, what kind of paint should i use or do you recomend I use to paint my interior? Is this a fairly easy process? Thanks for your help.
Whether the job is easy would be of serious question, especially if you intend of doing the job as right as it can be done; removing every thing that needs to be removed first, and possibly finding yourself dealing with one or more shades of the same color in flat and/or satin finish. In this context, it is not an easy job at all! Dozen's of parts and fasteners to catalog, package, and keep up with as you take things apart.

It's something people at times do, but make sure you have the necessary factory manuals to help get things back where they belong.

Oh dang near forgot the paint question. Any good brand is fine so long as you can get the colors mixed to the original interior color specs or to the appearance you want.

Last edited by Texascarnut; July 6th, 2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old July 6th, 2009, 02:06 PM

What's your current interior color?
Old July 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

An automotive paint store can mix any color you want and then that have some kind of additive for the vinyl application. There is a special cleaner and prep solvent they sell which is very important. Follow the directions and you can get good results. As with any paint job, the preparation is where most of the work. Take a lot of pictures before you take it apart.
Old July 6th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Right now it is a blue interior and I want it to be black, I plan on painting the exterior candy apple red. I was planning on painting what I can and getting new fabric where needed. When i bought the car the guy gave me a headliner that needed to be installed which is blue, is it possible to get that dyed black? So that is my plan for design just wanted to know what I needed and what I need to do. So would i just use a gloss and a flat black?
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:48 AM

If you're going black and want to use spray cans, I'd vote using SEM products, with Landau Black being the color used on most pieces. I used it to refresh my black interior and all pieces ended up looking brand new. Really nice. I did not, however, use it on my seat covers. Someone else will have to chime in as to whether or not it would hold up to the abuse that seats get.
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:05 PM

I would only use it on the seat backs, I plan on having all the seats redone in a different color.
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:36 PM

Oh, well in that case, yes, the SEM Landau Black looks fantastic.
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:43 PM

I am currently in the process of changing my Saddle interior to Black on my 72 Supreme. I opted to only paint some of the hard plastic pieces and the dash pad. Only because you can't get remanufactured dash pads for these cars as far as I know. It is expensive if you want to do it right, including complete dismantling of the dash etc. I opted for new vinyl, head liner, package tray and door panels from Legendary. If you do it cheap, it will look it. I wouldn't paint anything that gets a lot of touches, such as seats, armrests, console door etc. The paint will wear off eventually and you'll be stuck with doing it again. Dying a headliner would be tough and they aren't that expensive. Just takes patients putting them in. My headliner and package tray are in and dash nearly completed along with Ralley pack gauges. Which after getting them I don't recommend. Waiting on Legenday to send my parts. Going on two months now. One more thing, if you are going to rechrome the dash bezel or vents CV Vaccum Platters did a good job on mine. They also painted the bezel and glove box door for me. Again not cheap. As far as the paint, I used OER (Original Equipment Reproduction). This is a licensed GM product and is called Classic Black #298. Suppose to be the exact original color and sheen. Check out oerparts.com. I think it matches well.
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:07 PM

Here are a few photos from the color change...
IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0027_2.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

Last edited by hinz57; July 7th, 2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: rearrange photos