Non Yellowing Clear for Engine Parts

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2023, 09:46 AM

Non Yellowing Clear for Engine Parts

Friends of mine have used clear (PPG) to paint a new intake and it yellowed. From that point on , they never use clear on intakes. I want to clear it a two piece aluminum timing cover (Rocket Racing). I polished it but the material is soft and scratches easily. Does anyone have a known clear that will not yellow in this situation? I may end up powder coating it but trying to save some cash. Is there is a good clear that will also do the job? I have hi-temp engine clear and also some wheel clear (all spray cans), but don't want to get into a two month ok, and then it yellows.
Old November 26th, 2023, 09:52 AM

I use the VHT engine clear; it works well. However, clear over polished might not work so good if the surface doesn't have enough "tooth".
Old November 26th, 2023, 10:33 AM

Have you considered using aluminum or steel colored paint? Whatever you use as long as it's engine enamel or designed to resist heat I think you'll be ok.
Old November 26th, 2023, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by fleming442
I use the VHT engine clear; it works well. However, clear over polished might not work so good if the surface doesn't have enough "tooth".
X2
The substrate / surface has to have a tooth and be 100 percent free of contamination for the top coat to have proper adhesion.
Old November 26th, 2023, 06:14 PM

I sanded it with 600, but that may not be enough grit for it to adhere.
Old November 26th, 2023, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Have you considered using aluminum or steel colored paint? Whatever you use as long as it's engine enamel or designed to resist heat I think you'll be ok.
I wanted to keep the polished look and protect with the clear. I have used that aluminum paint in the past for alternators with good success
Old November 27th, 2023, 03:05 AM

I used BASF (Glasurit and/or Diamont) over the years. Did it yellow? Unfortunately I’m not sure because it was usually over gold basecoat. I can say that in the relatively few that retained exhaust crossover heat, it held up pretty well. Not perfect, but well. I saw no apparent yellowing over BBO blue but can’t say that it didn’t. Sorry, not that helpful, but figured I’d throw it in here.

​​​​​​….
Old November 27th, 2023, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by OLDScience
I wanted to keep the polished look and protect with the clear. I have used that aluminum paint in the past for alternators with good success
I would definitely go with powder coat. It may cloud up a touch, but definitely won't yellow.
Old November 27th, 2023, 03:37 PM

I would definitely go with powder coat. It may cloud up a touch, but definitely won't yellow.
The March Pulleys are all clear powder coated, and I also recall that I had an aluminum underdrive pully powder coated and it wasn't really clouded.