Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1968 Vista Cruiser for parts

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2023, 09:16 PM

1968 Vista Cruiser for parts

Hey Gang,

My name is Shon Elliott and I recently introduced myself in the new member area and described this wagon that we saved from a scrap yard over in Clovis, New Mexico. There are 3 of us that go in together and try to save vehicles and get them back running and in the hands of someone that wants to restore them. That was our intention with this wagon as well, but it may just be too rough. So my question is does anyone want to grab this wagon for parts? The 400 big block does run, but it has a knock of some type. The floors are pretty rusted out. The hood is pretty good, most of the glass is fair. The bigger of the back seats isn’t too bad, the smaller has a bad cover, and the front seat frame looks ok, but the cover is bad, the foam may still be ok. Front light bezels are all there. There is no title, but I do have a receipt from the junk yard and I’ll provide a bill of sale. We have $1200 in the wagon and we would like to get that back out of it if we can? Might consider parting if we could get to that amount. Located in Lubbock, Texas. Let us know. Thanks

Old March 9th, 2023, 08:26 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Appreciate your honest description. From the threads I've been reading, several members are having trouble with rust around the roof glass in their VCs. How's the roof on this one?
Old March 9th, 2023, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
Appreciate your honest description. From the threads I've been reading, several members are having trouble with rust around the roof glass in their VCs. How's the roof on this one?

let me see if I can get some pics this evening.
Old March 9th, 2023, 10:36 AM

That beautiful beast would make an epic piece of yard art - unfortunately my wife would murder me.
Thanks for attempting to save it.
Old March 9th, 2023, 10:38 AM
Past Administrator

That is my thread here

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...indows-170202/

Yes, I might be interest in part or all, not sure if I could afford $1200 for the whole thing and not sure where I would keep it but I am interested, also the third seat, and the luggage rack it you decide to part it out.
Old March 9th, 2023, 11:50 AM

Can you post a close up photo of the stainless trim that runs along the top of the tailgate? If it is in decent shape and you decide to part the car out, I would be interested in it.
Thanks
Old March 9th, 2023, 02:52 PM
Past Administrator

While you are at it, maybe a closeup of the condition around the top vista windows would be nice for me.
Old March 9th, 2023, 06:40 PM

Top windows….

Some folks have asked about the top windows, here are a few pics. They are mirrored, but are showing a little delaminating. The passenger is broke, but the other 2 are good.

Old March 15th, 2023, 06:14 PM
Past Administrator

We came to an agreement on price and I picked up the car today. A freind helped me out, we left Waxahacie Tx. at 5 AM and got back just before 7 PM. It was an uneventful trip except for the final 5 minutes. Since the car had no brakes we rolled it to the back edge of the trailer and attached a heavy chain to the trailer hitch mount on the back bumper, wrapping the chain around the hitch body and latching the hook into one of the safety chain holes. We left about five feet of slack between the car and a secure spot on the front of the gooseneck and pushed the car down the ramps. When the chain tensioned the hook ripped right out of the safety chain hole and the chain snapped back over the trailer, the gooseneck, the truck and the hook slammed against the windshield of the truck! In our effort to be safe we caused an incident.

All in all I think we were real lucky that nobody was hurt.
Old March 15th, 2023, 06:54 PM

Wow! Glad no one got hurt!
Once you remove the parts you want I know there will be people interested in parts left over, if you don't want to keep it around as a parts car. The mirror glass is a nice option and was used in 1968-72. Even partially delaminated you could sell it. I shipped the back seat roof glass to a guy on the East Coast. I built a crate to ship it in. Then wrapped the glass with kitchen plastic wrap and used three cans of spray foam to fill the void. Traveled just fine!
Old March 16th, 2023, 04:37 AM

Sorry about the windshield, Dan. But good deal you got the car! Keep us posted! I looked thru some old pics of my Vista the other day, I'll try to post a few.
Old March 16th, 2023, 04:43 AM
Past Administrator

Thanks all. Soing with my freind today to get the windshield on his truck repaired. Probably won't keep this thread going since it is Shon's and the topic has changed. I will for sure start a new thread start listing things that I don't need as provided for others that have Vista's is important to me. We who have Vista's know how difficult gettting some parts in particular are.