Site Help Ask your questions here about how to use the site.

possible scammer alert

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2023, 10:19 AM

possible scammer alert

got a message from a new fella with one post. Has my part I need. contact by his number which is a known number on the web as a scammer named Asak83
How does one report this guy before he rips one of us off??
Old October 16th, 2023, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by vt324
got a message from a new fella with one post. Has my part I need. contact by his number which is a known number on the web as a scammer named Asak83
I also got one from them. I'm not going to respond.
Old October 16th, 2023, 11:49 AM

Yep happened to me last week, reported to moderator..said he would keep an eye on them.. why not just boot them off?
Old October 16th, 2023, 12:17 PM
Running On Empty

Asak83 first appeared here:

1948 Part needed - Be Aware
Old October 16th, 2023, 12:21 PM
Running On Empty

Asak83 current activity:

Old October 16th, 2023, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by vt324
Lol, I got one from that person today as well. I just assumed scam and never responded.
Old October 16th, 2023, 01:02 PM

So, this isn't his first appearance here as a scammer, yet he hasn't been banned?
Old October 16th, 2023, 01:52 PM

Banning is futile. They just create a new account and go at it again. Easier to monitor spread the word if he keeps the same name.

The best route is continuous education - don't send money blindly to unknown sellers; if the price is too good to be true, it probably isn't true; be careful!
Old October 16th, 2023, 02:17 PM

Banning does work, it lets the scammer know that you are on to them. That its a waste of time trying their scam here. Sure they can try under a different name, but their method is known, and doesnt work
Old October 16th, 2023, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Andy
Yep happened to me last week, reported to moderator..said he would keep an eye on them.. why not just boot them off?
And where in the pm does it mention Asak83? Just so you know, I was asked to ban you when you first joined because someone thought you were someone that was previously banned. You complained, and I told you I will keep an eye on the 2 you mentioned.

There is a place you can click on private messages to report them so we can see what the sender wrote. If it looks like a scammer we will ban them.

Last edited by oldcutlass; October 16th, 2023 at 09:55 PM.
Old October 16th, 2023, 04:20 PM

I reported them to you,p,by pm, your the moderator..If someone thought I was a different member under an alias then I guess they weren’t to bright as when I first came on this forum it was under my first and last name..Which I took my last name off because a current long standing member here looked me up on the net and posted pics of my house and where I lived..yea I complained to you..that member is still on here..guess thats ok..unreal
Old October 16th, 2023, 04:22 PM
4R5

Got a PM from him as well, sensed it was a scam, will not reply to him.
Old October 16th, 2023, 04:26 PM
Running On Empty

Asak83 is now Deep Six
Old October 16th, 2023, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Andy
I reported them to you,p,by pm, your the moderator..If someone thought I was a different member under an alias then I guess they weren’t to bright as when I first came on this forum it was under my first and last name..Which I took my last name off because a current long standing member here looked me up on the net and posted pics of my house and where I lived..yea I complained to you..that member is still on here..guess thats ok..unreal
You mean to tell me that a current long time member here posted your address and pictures of your house? Who is the scumbag POS that did that? That is lowlife as it comes.
Old October 16th, 2023, 08:23 PM

there is a problem here.
I got an email that says i got a PM
link to the PM is dead.
message says he has the parts i need, to respond via email or text. I send a text, get no reply.
hit the webesite, nothing says anything about PMs, its like he doesn't exist.

Not too happy about there being a pretty obvious security issue here... I don't like sending good faith texts to people I only find out later are known scammers.
cut the guy off now.
Old October 16th, 2023, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by _Tom
there is a problem here.
I got an email that says i got a PM
link to the PM is dead.
message says he has the parts i need, to respond via email or text. I send a text, get no reply.
hit the webesite, nothing says anything about PMs, its like he doesn't exist.

Not too happy about there being a pretty obvious security issue here... I don't like sending good faith texts to people I only find out later are known scammers.
cut the guy off now.
What was the members name?
Old October 16th, 2023, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Asak83 has been banned. We are still watching the 2 you pm'd me about Andy as they have actual posts. Buying and selling parts is always a crap shoot on the internet and require due diligence before trying to consummate any deal. Again, we do take reports seriously, banning is automatic if it's blatantly clear. However if there is any question of legitimacy than we must take a little time and monitor.
Old December 16th, 2023, 12:22 PM

Banned scammer Asak83

Well that’s great he is banned from the site, however not soon enough in my case as he got me for cash and no parts. I’m new to classicoldsmobile.com family as recently purchased a 72 Cutlass supreme convertible needing full restoration. Still learning to navigate site and I guess I got wrapped up in the excitement of getting the part. Have since learned that these scammers are everywhere and use every means to cheat and steal. Payment was made to Zelle, he then claimed an issue with his Zelle and wanted me to send payment again to PayPal. Told me to get my bank to recall money from his bank. Too late but now red flag. No more payments were made. Did contact banks and his refused refund. I have bill sale that he has his address on it( likely not his ) ,
confirmation of payment, confirmation of receiving payment and confirmation of refused refund. Claims he’s a legitimate businessman and not thief but this is far from the truth. Thief!!
From what I’m reading now on various threads these people will try to get back in using a new username. For everyone’s information I’m listing everything I know about this person in case he tries using similar names , addresses and phone numbers.
Asak83- Edward Lee, 414-533-5204. 904- Saint John St. Cottage Grove, Wi. 53527
thelordson904@gmail.com
Zelle acct had this attachment: Steve Ellenburg
251-448-5031. szabisheryl@gmail.com
This number also shows up:928-929-4058.
If anyone sees any of this- Run fast and Report.
Cottage Grove Police Department has been contacted for investigation.
Unfortunately I’m still looking for a certain part as I’m very very cautious now.

Old December 16th, 2023, 12:43 PM
4R5

That address owner is listed as Brandon Wolf per the Dane County property records. 414 phone prefix is for Milwaukee, Cottage Grove would be 608. 251 is a SW Alabama area code.928 is AZ. Sure sounds like a fake address and phone numbers to me.
Old December 16th, 2023, 12:52 PM

Scammer alert

Hi, thanks for checking into that and reporting your findings. I live in Canada, not as easy to get some information. Sounds like multiple fake phones and using innocent people’s addresses! Definitely not legitimate, scammer and I got scammed! My Bad.
Old December 16th, 2023, 02:19 PM
Running On Empty

I'm a sleuth. I always check everyone out when I consider doing any transaction. I know this is late in the game, still following on up scammers isn't a waste of time. The address you provided comes back to BRANDON WOLF (which I validated via DANE COUNTY real estate tax records.