Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

Making pictures smaller

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2020, 05:37 AM

Making pictures smaller

Every time I post a picture it's always full-sized. Is there a way to make them thumb-nail sized? I can't find a way to do this.
Thanks.
Old March 15th, 2020, 06:22 AM
Administrator

I do it through my picture program on the PC.
Old March 15th, 2020, 06:33 AM

Download photo editing app or software on your Smartphone or PC.
Old March 15th, 2020, 06:57 AM
Running On Empty

'Generally' speaking, you can approach this via several avenues:

(1) Most PC desktops, laptops, tablets, etc. come with image/picture viewing software, depending on the Operating System (OS) and the image/picture software loaded onto the PC desktop, laptop, or tablet (or, if you loaded it separately) - generally Apple, Mac, Microsoft Windows, Linux, UNIX, etc.
(2) Most of the image/picture viewing software provide a minimum feature to resize, compress, change aspect ratio, etc. of the image and save the new image into a different size. You should look at the current software you are using to find the feature which allows you to change (resize) the image, compress the image, and/or change the aspect ratio of the image. Search via Google or w/in your image software to find the feature(s).
(3) Generally speaking, the minimal features provided will satisfy most users (but often they don't know where the feature(s) are located). Search for them to resize, compress, change aspect ratio, etc. Often they're nested near or w/in the flip/rotate parameter/feature.

Performing the same function on a cell phone will depend (also) on the type of cell phone, Android, Windows Phone, iPhone, etc. and the software loaded by each manufacturer. Search Google or your device to locate the feature.

Most often you'll find the basic feature and it will provide the function you need and I would suggest you try to use it. I have issues w/ loading any free software to accomplish what most canned, out-of-the-box software normally provides as most free third-party software (unless it is truly "open-source" community-based software) is riddled with issues (one of the biggest is viruses, trojans, cookies capturing data, etc. etc.). Use at your own risk.

If you provide more information - specifically what device and what software you use to view images/pictures - others may be able to better assist you.
Old March 15th, 2020, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
'Generally' speaking, you can approach this via several avenues:

(1) Most PC desktops, laptops, tablets, etc. come with image/picture viewing software, depending on the Operating System (OS) and the image/picture software loaded onto the PC desktop, laptop, or tablet (or, if you loaded it separately) - generally Apple, Mac, Microsoft Windows, Linux, UNIX, etc.
(2) Most of the image/picture viewing software provide a minimum feature to resize, compress, change aspect ratio, etc. of the image and save the new image into a different size. You should look at the current software you are using to find the feature which allows you to change (resize) the image, compress the image, and/or change the aspect ratio of the image. Search via Google or w/in your image software to find the feature(s).
(3) Generally speaking, the minimal features provided will satisfy most users (but often they don't know where the feature(s) are located). Search for them to resize, compress, change aspect ratio, etc. Often they're nested near or w/in the flip/rotate parameter/feature.

Performing the same function on a cell phone will depend (also) on the type of cell phone, Android, Windows Phone, iPhone, etc. and the software loaded by each manufacturer. Search Google or your device to locate the feature.

Most often you'll find the basic feature and it will provide the function you need and I would suggest you try to use it. I have issues w/ loading any free software to accomplish what most canned, out-of-the-box software normally provides as most free third-party software (unless it is truly "open-source" community-based software) is riddled with issues (one of the biggest is viruses, trojans, cookies capturing data, etc. etc.). Use at your own risk.

If you provide more information - specifically what device and what software you use to view images/pictures - others may be able to better assist you.

My Samsung galaxy Note 9 Smartphone has great viruses protection(no issues for almost 2yrs). Norton is great for PC protection. The photo editing software that came with my phone is all I needed to crop/shrink my pictures.
Old March 15th, 2020, 07:29 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Letsrunum
My Samsung galaxy Note 9 Smartphone has great viruses protection(no issues for almost 2yrs). Norton is great for PC protection. The photo editing software that came with my phone is all I needed to crop/shrink my pictures.
Indeed, if the OP would state what device he/she is using, we might provide more clarity on how to use/enable the feature. The OP may not need to d/l any additional s/w just locating the feature might be all that is required.
Old March 15th, 2020, 09:37 AM

I take my pictures with a digital camera and then download them onto my laptop. The laptop is an older model, almost 10 years old. It's a little slow and outdated but it does the job. It's running a version of Windows that was current at that time. I'm not sure.
Old March 15th, 2020, 09:39 AM
Running On Empty

When you click on a photo/image to Open that photo/image on your laptop, what program is used to Open that photo/image?
Old March 15th, 2020, 09:49 AM

I'm not quite sure. The program was on the laptop when I got it. It's a Toshiba with Windows 8.
Old March 15th, 2020, 09:52 AM
Running On Empty

OK We're getting closer.

Click on the photo/picture/image you are opening - the photo-picture/image will open in the default Photo program you are using to Open the photo/picture/image. Look at, generally, the top left of the window where the photo/picture/image was Opened. It will state what program was used to Open the photo/picture/image i.e. Photo Gallery, Photo Viewer, Adobe, etc.
Old March 15th, 2020, 09:53 AM

For resizing on a laptop or desktop computer, just download and install this.

http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

It installs quickly and becomes a menu choice when you right click a photo file in Windows Explorer. You can resize just one photo or select as many as you want, including an entire folder's worth, and resize them all at once. Resizings takes only a second or two, and you don't have to load the photo in any photo-editing program. You can resize the original, or have it keep the original and make the resized photo a new file. You can choose from three pre-selected sizes or make your own custom size. I usually have it make a copy, and if you do it this way and the resized photo isn't quite what you want (still too large), delete the resized photo and try again. Takes only a second. I probably use this program more than any other on my computer. Best of all, it is FREE.

Last edited by jaunty75; March 15th, 2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old March 15th, 2020, 09:58 AM

Sorry, cropping takes part of photo out so that the photo will fit the size of file needed to post it at times. You actually need to shrink the full size photo down to a thumbnail size without taking parts of the photo away. My photo editing software on my smartphone doesn't do that. Photo image converter and resizing is an app that can make that happen.

windows vista or windows 7 would be likely by date
Old March 15th, 2020, 10:01 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jaunty75
For resizing on a laptop or desktop computer, just download and install this.

http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

It installs quickly and becomes a menu choice when you right click a photo file in Windows Explorer. You can resize just one photo or select as many as you want, including an entire folder's worth, and resize them all at once. Resizings takes only a second or two, and you don't have to load the photo in any photo-editing program. You can resize the original, or have it keep the original and make the resized photo a new file. You can choose from three pre-selected sizes or make your own custom size. I usually have it make a copy, and if you do it this way and the resized photo isn't quite what you want (still too large), delete the resized photo and try again. Takes only a second. I probably use this program more than any other on my computer. Best of all, it is FREE.

Old March 15th, 2020, 10:08 AM

When I click on a photo it says OneDrive.
Old March 15th, 2020, 10:10 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by jaunty75
...you don't have to load the photo in any photo-editing program.
Not true. You have to load the photo into the Bricelam ImageResizer program.
Old March 15th, 2020, 10:37 AM
Running On Empty

You can use a third-party program to edit (resize) photos as jaunty and other(s) describe. You're opening the photo/picture/image in OneDrive which is modestly difficult to work with. You can set this feature to Open with a different program/application if you desire.

I believe you have Photo Viewer (maybe even Photo Gallery), perhaps even Photos loaded on your laptop. You're caught right in between the upgrade scenario between Windows 7 and Windows 10 - honestly, it's not a favorable position to be honestly. Windows 8.1 would be a better position, but you're stuck at Windows 8. The lumpy gravy upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 created a labyrinth of despair for Microsoft and the millions of end-users who initially upgraded via this route: Windows 7>Windows 8>Windows 8.1>Windows 10 - a nightmare when it was ill-conceived. Enough about that.

From your Desktop, Control Panel, Windows Explorer (or wherever you care to view your images/photos/pictures), Right-Click on the image and select Open With. Find another program to Open the photo/image/picture i.e. Photo Viewer, Photo Gallery, Photos, etc. Then you'll find the editing features to resize/compress, edit, change aspect ratio. Employing OneDrive you're stuck in a Microsoft Word program viewing your photos/pictures/images which is not designed to edit photos/pictures/images - it was the brain-child of the Microsoft Office group to facilitate the sharing of files (including photos).
Old March 15th, 2020, 10:37 AM

I appreciate all of the suggestions that have been posted here. I'll experiment with them and see if I can get the results I want.
Thanks.
Old March 15th, 2020, 10:38 AM

Onedrive is a personal cloud storage not just for photos

It worked great linking up between my Microsoft smartphone and my dell XPS desktop computer.

Last edited by Letsrunum; March 15th, 2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old March 15th, 2020, 10:42 AM
Running On Empty

You are correct and it's a labyrinth of despair for the many everyday users. IMO, terribly conceived on the part of Microsoft. And, to add to it, they removed some of the best photo editing software when they migrated from Windows 7>Windows 10 and eliminated some of the basic features of Photo Viewer, Photo Gallery, etc. Instead, they moved photo editing over to the Microsoft Office group with the mandate future developments would require the purchase of Microsoft Office ($$$) or an upgrade to Microsoft Office365 ($$$).

EDIT: When Microsoft first created OneDrive, it was designed to operate within (and be contained by) a networking environment where all users share a common platform (Microsoft, of course). It employed Microsoft Word as its foundation, then ported it to reside on a closed network to make it efficient so that (network confined) workers could liberally share, edit, update, etc. Word documents on-line and maintain version history to all the documents. It worked quite well. When they ported it over to the general public, it created a nightmare of issues and it's probably one of the top support calls of Microsoft (in particular Office).

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 15th, 2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old March 15th, 2020, 10:54 AM

Where are you trying to post the picture ? If you are trying to add it as a pic (Avatar) in your profile, you might need to be less than 100 kb. You'll need to reduce the size by decreasing the pixels.
If you are trying to reduce size for posting in a thread, it may not be needed. I am on a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 Premium.
Take your digital camera memory card and insert it into the card slot (below the left mouse button) and copy the files into a folder.

Old March 15th, 2020, 10:56 AM
Running On Empty

It worked great linking up between my Microsoft smartphone and my dell XPS desktop computer.
Correct again. For those who are comfortable with understanding how the Cloud actually operates it can provide efficient storage and sharing, Cloud computing works well. However, it has become one of the primary hotspots for hackers. Security safeguards are far from optimal within the Cloud. If you're residing on a Private Network contained w/in the Cloud, Security safeguards can be configured to work optimally. However, the general public Cloud is a nesting ground for hackers.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 15th, 2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old March 15th, 2020, 11:02 AM
Running On Empty

78cutlass4speed - I have a suggestion for you. It isn't necessarily going to provide you with any assistance regarding your photo editing dilemma, but you should get off Windows 8.1 ASAP. You have a free upgrade from Windows 8.1>Windows 10. If I'm not mistaken, the same Upgrade path jaunty published for Windows 7 should be available for you via Windows 8.1 since the upgrade from Windows 7>Windows 8>Windows 8.1 was free to any Windows 7 user.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ws-7-a-142916/

EDIT: Actually, if I'm not mistaken, that upgrade should already be nested (contained w/in) your Windows Upgrade & Security (Settings) container on your laptop. It should be listed as an Optional Upgrade which you have to instantiate to get it to Upgrade. I can double-check for you, but the Upgrade from 8.1>10 was an Optional Upgrade w/in the Windows Upgrade & Security (Settings) when it first appeared. Some end-users may have not upgraded in fear it would break their system. The only true scary part was the statement which generally appeared that your firmware/hardware was not compatible with Windows 10 (which scared most end-users away from the installation). Nearly all computers which effectively ran Windows 7, also ran Windows 8, and all computers which ran Windows 8 ran Windows 8.1. And, in general, nearly all computers which ran Windows 8.1 also ran Windows 10. It was during this time period all hardware and software manufactures were upgrading their own software and hardware to run on Windows 10 and it scared many end-users.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 15th, 2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old March 15th, 2020, 11:14 AM

I went from windows 7 to 10 when they were offering it for free. You need window 10 pro to get the better features. Most convert back to windows 7. I never used windows 8 or 8.1 that much personal use. I believe that wife has a laptop with 8 on it for walkthrough if needed.
Old March 15th, 2020, 11:20 AM
Running On Empty

I went from window 7 to 10 when they were offering it for free. You need window 10 pro to get the better features. Most convert back to windows 7. I never used windows 8 or 8.1 that much personal use. I believe that wife has a laptop with 8 on it for walkthrough if needed.
The upgrade was a kludge for certain. I run 10Pro. I did the 7>8>8.1>10 upgrade path. The entire path for me was free because I had just recently retired from MS (15 years) implementing network security monitoring and management (primarily Microsoft SCOM), so my s/w was all free prior to retirement. For many, who might be running incompatible s/w which ran on Windows 7, you can generally invoke the "Run On Windows 7" feature within Windows 10. This will cause Windows 10 to emulate Windows 7 for specific s/w which does not operate w/in Windows 10.

EDIT: For the majority of my work I ran ~10 Microsoft Windows Servers & numerous Windows Client PCs contained w/in my home Hyper-V environment.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 15th, 2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old March 17th, 2020, 01:33 PM

I liked gaming computers but I've been into other things lately. Dell Xps 8920 I7 7th gen with Nvidia Geforce Founders Edition 1070 video card(recommends 16gb of memory). I'm only running 8gb at the moment. Upgraded to blue ray player(should've spent the extra cash on 4k player). Upgraded the power supply as well.

Edit: M.2 solid state drive added as well

Last edited by Letsrunum; March 17th, 2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old March 17th, 2020, 01:56 PM

I liked gaming computers but I've been into other things lately. Dell Xps 8920 I7 7th gen with Nvidia Geforce Founders Edition 1070 video card(recommends 16gb of memory). I'm only running 8gb at the moment. Upgraded to blue ray player(should've spent the extra cash on 4k player). Upgraded the power supply as well.

Edit: M.2 solid state drive added as well

The video card is in an inclosed case with a single blower fan that runs at higher temps when I'm testing it from mining(no case and two fans). That smaller dell case could use more fans. One in the front around the front bezel to draw in air(no air draw with original design)and one more fan to blow the heat out the back better(no fan besides the one on top).

Last edited by Letsrunum; March 17th, 2020 at 01:59 PM.