Site Suggestions Post your suggestions or ideas here on how we could improve ClassicOldsmobile.com.

Million scammers on here

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2023, 03:41 PM

Million scammers on here

There appear to be bots that reach out via PM when posted a wanted ad. Maybe the site needs to add captcha or prevent initiating PMs for users with less than X number of posts or something.
Old November 5th, 2023, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Is this post due to a pm you personally received or an opinion based on a perception?
Old November 5th, 2023, 05:04 PM

I've posted three wanted adds and each one is followed a couple hours later by a PM - where the wording is approximately the same and they substitute in verbatim the part description I used. They then provide an email address of someone who supposedly has that part. Below is one example:

"Hello buddy I know of someone who have a 1976 cutlass blower motor vent tube still in his garage in good condition shoot him a pm on autopartyard911@gmail.com if you still looking"

The user for the post above is Comans.

Here is another (also comans)

Good morning sir there’s a guy who have a 1976 cutlass dash bezel in a very good condition reach him out on autopartyard911@gmail.com for more details

Here's another from user "Jack442"

"Hello man I can recommend a uncle who have an oem catalytic converter for a 76 cutlass 350 you can send him a pm on
mikedowning628@gmail.com if you still looking"
Old November 5th, 2023, 05:09 PM
Running On Empty

Comans

Old November 5th, 2023, 06:44 PM
Banned

This site is a corporate ran site. One of hundreds on their plate. Sad truth but reality. I would guess that contributes to the spam.
Old November 5th, 2023, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by getmygoat
I've posted three wanted adds and each one is followed a couple hours later by a PM - where the wording is approximately the same and they substitute in verbatim the part description I used. They then provide an email address of someone who supposedly has that part. Below is one example:

"Hello buddy I know of someone who have a 1976 cutlass blower motor vent tube still in his garage in good condition shoot him a pm on autopartyard911@gmail.com if you still looking"

The user for the post above is Comans.

Here is another (also comans)

Good morning sir there’s a guy who have a 1976 cutlass dash bezel in a very good condition reach him out on autopartyard911@gmail.com for more details

Here's another from user "Jack442"

"Hello man I can recommend a uncle who have an oem catalytic converter for a 76 cutlass 350 you can send him a pm on
mikedowning628@gmail.com if you still looking"
On the top right of all PMs there is a red triangle to report them. Please use this method so we can track complaints. In the meantime, I banned Comans. Jack442 was banned previously.
Old November 6th, 2023, 06:28 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

These are probably the same scammers you get from Craigslist.
Old November 7th, 2023, 05:49 AM
IB Staff

these 'man in the middle' PM attacks are happening across the internet. never respond to communication directing you away from the forum. never post your email or phone number in public, or they will approach you that way instead of via PM. They are crafty and smart. Be wary.
Old November 7th, 2023, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
These are probably the same scammers you get from Craigslist.
Definitely be careful using CL.
Old November 7th, 2023, 08:33 AM
Gearhead

The SOB that scammed me last week somehow got enough info to try and withdraw money from my PayPal account. PayPal caught it and shut my account down. I had to send a ton of information to restore the account.
Old November 10th, 2023, 07:01 AM

See a lot of low post count individuals looking for something on the Nova site. Have to wonder if those are a scam, as well. Meaning as some sort of "phishing" in terms of trying to get personal information. I've suspended "electronic" payment methods. Getting harder and harder to sell, if you are a small seller and are honest.
Old November 10th, 2023, 01:20 PM

Had another one today. Will report:

Hello brother I can recommend a uncle who have a 1976 cutlass 350 EGR valve still available in his garage in a very good condition kindly send him a pm on autopartyard911@gmail.com if you still looking
Old November 10th, 2023, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by getmygoat
Had another one today. Will report:

Hello brother I can recommend a uncle who have a 1976 cutlass 350 EGR valve still available in his garage in a very good condition kindly send him a pm on autopartyard911@gmail.com if you still looking
Thanks, Porkland442 has been banned also.
Old November 11th, 2023, 05:25 AM
Banned

In my opinion I think it is a good thing to call out any and all scammers on this post.

I would also say if you post a wanted ad and get a response from someone you don't know ask around first. If a deal is too good to be true then pretty good chance it is.
Old November 15th, 2023, 09:52 AM

Number one method to chase scammer away is to demand a phone number…
If they are not willing to give you a phone number, they could be pulling a scam indeed…

There is still nothing like talking to the person you are dealing with, and having a conversation….

99 + % of the people on this site are Great people, and straightforward and honest….

But, all sites can be infiltrated by individuals that don’t belong on these sites —-
i.e. scammers….
Old November 17th, 2023, 06:47 AM

Ya a dab a doo

Last edited by Burd; December 8th, 2023 at 08:00 PM.
Old November 17th, 2023, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Burd
If I buy something I FaceTime them, If you have a non Apple device, I don’t en talk to them. They’re cheap, it’s most likely a scammer. You can’t even text android crap from a iPad.
LMAO only Apple products? That's the most insane thing I've heard in a while.
Old November 17th, 2023, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
I hate Apple. Give me a Droid.
Old November 20th, 2023, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
On the top right of all PMs there is a red triangle to report them. Please use this method so we can track complaints. In the meantime, I banned Comans. Jack442 was banned previously.
Man, Eric... it's like trying to play Whack-a-Mole, huh? What a bunch of lowlifes.
Old November 20th, 2023, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kevin.horton
Man, Eric... it's like trying to play Whack-a-Mole, huh? What a bunch of lowlifes.
And I've banned a 1/2 dozen more since this thread started.
Old November 20th, 2023, 08:19 AM

Make it so a new member can’t PM until he makes a certain amount of posts.
Old November 20th, 2023, 08:21 AM

If I buy something I FaceTime them, If you have a non Apple device, I don’t en talk to them. They’re cheap, it’s most likely a scammer. You can’t even text android crap from a iPad.
​​​​​​ Some of my coworkers have Apple phones. I tell them it's the same thing as that John Travolta/Tom Cruise cult. They don't believe me.

BTW, good idea having a minimum number of posts to PM.
Old November 20th, 2023, 08:43 AM
Administrator

We used to have a post minimum, it does not prevent anything and creates bs threads and posts to meet it.
Old November 20th, 2023, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
​​​​​​ Some of my coworkers have Apple phones. I tell them it's the same thing as that John Travolta/Tom Cruise cult. They don't believe me. BTW, good idea having a minimum number of posts to PM.
Believe the "Ames" Pontiac forum does that. They also appear to "throttle" users they deem to be only sellers, as well. Quite a few sites have already gone the way of the dodo bird. Due to FB and a perception of only old timers on them, would suppose.
Old November 20th, 2023, 04:18 PM
Running On Empty

E-Mail verification/confirmation often works quite well for dissuading these types of "phishing" scammers/spammers.
Old November 24th, 2023, 01:11 PM

I don't post too often in parts wanted but I do every so often. I try to find what I need in the for-sale ads that are posted. When I do, I look at the ad wording, pictures and the posting person's join date. My most recent buy was from a member who joined in 2011 and had many posts over the years, however, I did get a little chill for a second since I did just send money order today. I'm pretty careful but anyone can get excited and fall for a scam. I don't see how a scammer could have years of posts, so I believe I'm safe in the method I use.

My deceased Mother used to make me nervous bidding/buying on Ebay and using Pay Pal years ago! She was in her 70's and it made me nervous. But hey.....I'm in my 70's.....Now I'm worried again! LOL!
Old November 24th, 2023, 01:20 PM

Yeah, if you get a quick reply from a newbie on the site with no or very few posts, for a really bargain price who can barely type two grammatically coherent sentences and can't be specific about specs of the item they're selling......run!

Old November 24th, 2023, 01:33 PM

But, as you said, if a person has been on this site for many years,
A ) he is probably well known
B ) he would be long gone, if he were a scammer
C ) he is undoubtedly legitimate. &
D ) you should have absolutely no fears or risks…

This is not the “ general public “ or “ Facebook “…
This is a collection of OLDSMOBILE enthusiasts, who are here
for one another…..

Craig….
Old November 24th, 2023, 01:37 PM

It’s easy to set up restrictions for new members, no pm’s till you reach a set amount.
I generally don’t buy off forums, I bet my stuff from the swaps around town, plenty. Ship is expensive too.

Old November 24th, 2023, 07:55 PM

It’s easy to set up restrictions for new members, no pm’s till you reach a set amount.
I generally don’t buy off forums, I bet my stuff from the swaps around town, plenty. Ship is expensive too.
That doesn't really do much to deter them. You just wind up with a flurry of nonsense posts until they hit that magic number.
Old November 25th, 2023, 05:11 AM

Asking for a phone number can help weed out scammers, but not everyone who avoids giving their number out freely is a scammer.

I probably miss out on a bunch of opportunities because IDGAF who you are, the last thing I'm going to do is just radomly give out my phone number to someone I don't know, so they can have it in their contact list or whatever, have their apps mine their phone for numbers (yeah, that is a thing), and then be robo-called for life by some other ******** because I wanted to sell someone a $10 part. It's inevitable, but I'm going to try to minimize junk calls. Same with face time. Not gonna happen. Not on my iPhone. Ain't nobody got time for dat.

Anymore, because of the complete horsecrap the 3rd party pay apps have subjected people to, I only deal with personal check for exact amount of the deal (with time to clear if I don't personally know them) with none of that refund scam BS. Or my personal favorite, US Postal Money Orders. Never had an issue with those.
Old November 25th, 2023, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
especially on Craig’s list, non apple texts are always scammers. The guys that get the free phone with a hot dog are a diff breed lol
I fired a realtor because he used a android phone. Anyone in a buss, uses apple.that goes with parts guys.

Last edited by Burd; November 25th, 2023 at 07:28 AM.
Old November 25th, 2023, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
That doesn't really do much to deter them. You just wind up with a flurry of nonsense posts until they hit that magic number.
the name says a lot too, I run a Firebird forum, I dont approve strange names,
Also, forums are dying, we need a flurry if posts. Stupid posts, ban the member.

bobs SD

Meally2226

of the 2, who do you think is a scammer, lol

Last edited by Burd; November 25th, 2023 at 07:47 AM.
Old November 25th, 2023, 12:19 PM

the name says a lot too, I run a Firebird forum, I dont approve strange names,
Also, forums are dying, we need a flurry if posts. Stupid posts, ban the member.

bobs SD

Meally2226

of the 2, who do you think is a scammer, lol
That's it, I'm renaming myself to Love Potion #9.
Old November 25th, 2023, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
Asking for a phone number can help weed out scammers, but not everyone who avoids giving their number out freely is a scammer.

I probably miss out on a bunch of opportunities because IDGAF who you are, the last thing I'm going to do is just radomly give out my phone number to someone I don't know, so they can have it in their contact list or whatever, have their apps mine their phone for numbers (yeah, that is a thing), and then be robo-called for life by some other ******** because I wanted to sell someone a $10 part. It's inevitable, but I'm going to try to minimize junk calls. Same with face time. Not gonna happen. Not on my iPhone. Ain't nobody got time for dat.

Anymore, because of the complete horsecrap the 3rd party pay apps have subjected people to, I only deal with personal check for exact amount of the deal (with time to clear if I don't personally know them) with none of that refund scam BS. Or my personal favorite, US Postal Money Orders. Never had an issue with those.
Yes I have a lot of parts that I try to sell that just don’t move and it’s really not that bad a price but I don’t accept PayPal because PayPal wants information about my accounts that I’m not willing to give them. I like USPS money orders and state in my ads that they’re the only thing I will take as payment! And still I have people who insist that I need to make myself available for PayPal payment of funds. Occasionally if somebody talks nice appears to have been around for a while and they ask I’ll accept a check but won’t send the item until it clears by Bank.
Old November 25th, 2023, 12:44 PM

Just got a PM from a scammer called Groomer...
Old November 25th, 2023, 01:13 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Just got a PM from a scammer called Groomer...
Affiliated with the US Department of Education?
Old November 25th, 2023, 01:22 PM

Grooming was his name..Hello friend I know of someone who have a 5 blade non clutching radiator fan laying around in his garage in a very good condition for a faster response you can send him a pm on cribsjonah@gmail.com if you still looking
Old November 25th, 2023, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Grooming was his name..Hello friend I know of someone who have a 5 blade non clutching radiator fan laying around in his garage in a very good condition for a faster response you can send him a pm on cribsjonah@gmail.com if you still looking
Groomer is banned. Please report the pm by clicking on the red triangle in the top right.
Old November 25th, 2023, 02:49 PM

Thanks for banning these jokers Eric.

Quick Reply: Million scammers on here