Ignition wiring of 56 Olds 324 engine

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2022, 10:41 AM

Ignition wiring of 56 Olds 324 engine

I had to replace the distributor cap of my Olds and somehow seem to have screwed up the sequence of the ignition wires into the cap. Can you guys help me and tell me where the first cylinder goes into?
First cylinder should be the first on the drivers side? Right?
Does that cable go left from the little metal door in the cap?

Thanks so much for your kind help!

Old May 11th, 2022, 12:07 PM

Attached is a diagram from my old Glenn manual (Chilton).

The firing order is on the intake manifold.

Last edited by Ozzie; May 11th, 2022 at 12:14 PM. Reason: added information
Old May 11th, 2022, 02:24 PM

The diagram will guide you ONLY IF the distributor is in it's original factory position as it relates to the location of #1 on TDC compression stroke. Try it first, if the diagram doesn't method doesn't make it run we will walk you through what's next. Either way it is recoverable without a ton of work.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by Sugar Bear; May 11th, 2022 at 02:26 PM.
Old May 12th, 2022, 05:20 AM

Thanks very much, guys, that is a big help.
After starting the engine this spring seems that I got it flooded in using the accelerator pedal too often. So, I changed the plugs to NGK BR 6 S with a gap of 0,30.
The engine ran in idle, but on rewing it up, it seemed that at least one cylinder was lost.
So, I checked the ignition wires and they did not look good.
I ordered at Fusick new plugs AC45 actually, as these were in the engine and it did run well before, new cap, new rotor, new ignition wires. In changing the cap seems that I was too dumb to get the wires set correctly.
So, your input is a big help, especially as the Olds community over here is pretty much non existent with those few cars around.
By the way, this is the car that we are talking about:

Old May 12th, 2022, 05:40 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Outstanding car. Those wire wheels really set the car off. Very nice.
Old May 12th, 2022, 05:43 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Wow! That's beautiful!
Old May 12th, 2022, 09:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

For future reference, the firing order is marked right on the intake manifold.

Old May 12th, 2022, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
For future reference, the firing order is marked right on the intake manifold.

Thanks very much, you are right, I should have known... :-)
Old May 12th, 2022, 11:11 AM

Smile

Guys, sometimes the American standards can drive us crazy over here in Europe. :-)))))) I got the wiring right now, but I cannot get the distributor cap fixed to the base as these strange "fingers" that you see on the photo do not seem to make any sense to us. They only go down with pressure when the finger points inward towards the middle. Once the fingers are set that way, we cannot put the cap on the base anymore. So, we put the cap on and try to turn the fingers towards the middle, but that does not function. They wont turn and I cannot press them down unless they point to the middle! Aaaagrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr . Over here, we fix the caps with flat steel springs that you just press in on the outside of the cap and finish...

Pls help, I cannot understand your system. It will not work, no matter what.

Old May 12th, 2022, 01:46 PM

Check your old distributor cap to see how it works. You may have to press them down a lot to get them to turn 90 degrees.
Old May 12th, 2022, 02:14 PM

Thanks very much, but both caps are alike... Again, I do not get that patent, too sophisticated for me....
Old May 12th, 2022, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by The_German
Guys, sometimes the American standards can drive us crazy over here in Europe. :-)))))) I got the wiring right now, but I cannot get the distributor cap fixed to the base as these strange "fingers" that you see on the photo do not seem to make any sense to us. They only go down with pressure when the finger points inward towards the middle. Once the fingers are set that way, we cannot put the cap on the base anymore. So, we put the cap on and try to turn the fingers towards the middle, but that does not function. They wont turn and I cannot press them down unless they point to the middle! Aaaagrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr . Over here, we fix the caps with flat steel springs that you just press in on the outside of the cap and finish...

Pls help, I cannot understand your system. It will not work, no matter what.

Believe it or don't, the 1956 was the first year that had the "improved" distributor. The 1955 and older used the flat steel springs to retain the cap. The design you have was used for many years.
Here is the way to use them: With the retaining "legs" pointed inward, compress the springs completely and while holding them in the compressed position turn the leg counterclockwise (viewed from above) about 90 degrees. The cap will hold the springs in the compressed position. Place the cap on the body of the distributor, and while holding it in position rotate the fasteners 90 degrees clockwise. The cap should then be fastened properly. There are two raised portions in the underside of the distributor's body, between which the leg should rest.
Old May 13th, 2022, 06:39 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Apparently you do not have a factory service manual. It is the first thing you should buy when you get an old car. Go to ebay and you will find several listed. It will be the best money you ever spend on your car.
Old May 13th, 2022, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ozzie
Believe it or don't, the 1956 was the first year that had the "improved" distributor. The 1955 and older used the flat steel springs to retain the cap. The design you have was used for many years.
Here is the way to use them: With the retaining "legs" pointed inward, compress the springs completely and while holding them in the compressed position turn the leg counterclockwise (viewed from above) about 90 degrees. The cap will hold the springs in the compressed position. Place the cap on the body of the distributor, and while holding it in position rotate the fasteners 90 degrees clockwise. The cap should then be fastened properly. There are two raised portions in the underside of the distributor's body, between which the leg should rest.

Thanks very much, I will see, that should not be too difficult...
I will report back next week when I will be back at the garage!
Old May 14th, 2022, 03:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

New Delco window distributor caps like that are typically shipped with the retention hooks in the "storage" position. The hook has a key on the shaft that fits into a slot in the hole. Typically you need to pull the hook down by hand, sometimes you need to gently twist the hook while pulling to align the key in the slot. With the hook pulled all the way out, rotate so the hook is pointed radially outward from the cap. The key will hold the spring compressed in this position. See photo. Note the square keyway next to the window (red arrow), which fits into a notch on the edge of the distributor body. Install the cap, align the notch, and use a flat blade screwdriver to push down on the hooks and rotate them 180 degrees inward into the recesses on the underside of the distributor. Done. This is much easier to do than to describe.

Old May 17th, 2022, 12:54 PM

Guys, your advice functioned!!! I got it right! The distributor cap is sitting in the right position and got locked properly...
Thanks so much!!!!!