71 Cutlass uneven side-to-side

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2024, 05:12 PM

71 Cutlass uneven side-to-side

Any idea what could cause my Cutlas to sit visibly higher on the right side vs the left?
Old February 22nd, 2024, 05:59 PM

That’s the classic A-Body lean that’s been around since these cars were a few years old. Sagging springs and/or body mounts are the likely culprits.
Another possibility is someone replaced bushings and torqued then without the weight of the vehicle compressing the suspension.
Old February 22nd, 2024, 06:12 PM

I’ve had this car for 20+ years. Haven’t ever noticed it that bad til lately. Started putting more drag race components on it recently. Solid body & driveline mounts, adjustable trailing arms in the rear with spherical bushings in the rear end, anti-roll bar etc. I lowered it back when I was in high school. Springs in the rear and spindles/springs up front.

Never paid it much attention to it until we were going to set the links for the ARB in the back, and we were like - that’s not right.

So, while we’re at it, what’s the torque on the front control arm mounting bolts? I’ll start there (loosen and retorque at ride height) and see if that has any bearing.
Old February 22nd, 2024, 06:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jhucks03
Any idea what could cause my Cutlas to sit visibly higher on the right side vs the left?
Overweight driver?
(Sorry, that was waaaay too easy)

Seriously, is this a new problem or not? It the difference more on the front or the back or both? Has the suspension been apart recently? As noted, springs do sag over time, bushings wear, parts get bent. The Chassis Service Manual lists dimensions and procedure for checking ride height. I'd suggest starting there and looking for broken or damaged suspension parts first.
Old February 22nd, 2024, 08:10 PM

Started putting more drag race components on it recently.
Springs in the rear and spindles/springs up front.
make sure your springs are clocked correctly
Old February 23rd, 2024, 03:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jhucks03
Springs in the rear and spindles/springs up front.
I missed this the first time. It is VERY easy to get the top of the front spring out of the upper pocket when installing it due to the blind installation. When this happens, that corner will end up about one inch high.
Old February 23rd, 2024, 12:21 PM

I believe I got it figured out. Looks like the RF spring was out of position on the bottom. 180* out I think. It wasn’t turned to where the end of the spring was with the slot in the lower control arm. Will clock it and put back this evening and update.